Thread: Long time smoker, first time humidor question

Default Long time smoker, first time humidor question

So I've finally owned up to my two-stick-a-week habit (plus 1 or 2 puros on poker night) and bought a decent barrel humidor.

Now that I'm buying boxes, I find that my cigars show up cello-wrapped inside the box. My question is whether I should strip 'em or leave 'em in their plastic wrappers when loading my humidor. I live a a very variable climate area, and my sticks risks both drying and oversaturation 'on the shelf'; thus I bought a mid-line (call it an Acura) humidor.

Are my puros better maintained at 70% naked or still in their cello over the long term?

Thanks!

-shadow
    The necessities of life include food, clothing, and shelter. Given my choice of two out of three, I'll take Scotch and Fuentes. Anyone feeling generous can throw me a book.

Hmmmm....

Welcome to the board from MS. As to your question, It's personal taste and doesn't have much of an impact on the smoke retaining moisture. I personally leave my cello on and use the fold at the foot to help light the cigar. You can get a pretty good buzz off of the fumes.

bigpoppapuff Guest

ahhhhhh.....the inevitable "cello on or cello off" question.......i leave mine on......

welcome...and one last point......search can be your friend...

Cello slows down the loss or gain of moisture in a cigar, buffering an otherwise variable environment. Most importantly to me, it protects the delicate wrapper from damage. Conversely, it slows down the aging of the cigar.

I prefer to leave mine on until I smoke it. I find my cigars in better condition that way.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Welcome grasshopper.

I too have asked this mysterious question many moons ago. A great BOTL once told me that it really does not matter because the cello is porous. So initially, I took them off. However, in handling the sticks, getting them in the mail, carrying them around, etc. I noticed that the foot would start to deteriorate. So now I leave them on - and I have no worries.

And to quote the wise bigpoppapuff:

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    .search can be your friend...
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

I leave them on and when I have singles that don't have them I put them in plastic. Protects them from the little bouncing around and helps keep them more stable in humidity.

Welcome,

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Thread Information