Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Well I decided i need to start a new AR build for a truck gun so im going cheap, I want to keep it at around $500.
    Blemished PSA M4 Upper - 16'' CMV CL Stripped Upper.
    Grand Total (Incl.Tax) $259.99 "used a 10% discount code"

I will just wait for a sale on the other parts and i should be under 500 total depending on if i put a scope on it.
    That's good being able to build an AR for around $500. I always get caught up with upgrading things and before I know it I have a ton of money wrapped up in a build.

So I bought that Remington 700 VTR and mounted my Swarovski on it. After that I put a
    Kwik Klip
    http://www.trexlerindustries.com/kwikklip.htm
    in it because I hate that useless trapdoor thingie they put on bolt actions (gotta be just about the stupidest thing ever invented!). A removable magazine is so much safer, faster and easier to deal with.

When I first mounted the Kwik Klip I couldn't close the bolt as the screw on the front of the trigger guard assembly was poking up into the chamber and preventing the front lug on the bolt from going to it's proper resting place. I tried shimming the Kwik Klip but then the bullets wouldn't feed properly from magazine to chamber. So, I filed a couple threads worth off the front screw until it was flush with the bottom of the chamber and he bolt cycles properly and the bullets feed flawlessly.

Last month Remington announced a recall on the 700 series because of trigger issues and my brand new, never been fired 700 was one of the recalled. I had planned on putting a Timney trigger in it next winter as I wanted to shoot it basically "stock" this summer to assess it's accuracy. Rather than wait months for Remington to get the recall happening here in Canada I bought a Timney from Brownell's and had it installed last weekend by a professional gunsmith.

My good friend and hunting partner is heading into the big city today and will pop by the gunsmith's place on his way home tomorrow to pick up my rifle for me. Today or tomorrow I'm going to check the range out. The road should be passable and dry now so I'm hoping to get out to the range this weekend to get my gun sighted in, and broken in..........woohoo!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

The Rem. 700 is an excellent platform. I can't imagine you not falling in love with it. That stupid trapdoor thingy came from the Mouser 98. IMO one of the best platforms ever built. It is stupid. you went with the VTR so.... 22-250, 25-06, 7 SM? I personally like the 25-06.
    Happy shooting.

One day I will have a Remington 700 but for now ill just plink away with the 770 in 300 win mag till I find a good deal on a 700 in 300 Win Mag.
    I just packed up for a range trip tomorrow, I am only taking 9 guns so the wife is left with only 5 or 6 for the day "I think she will be under gunned, damn near defenseless ".
    I must be drunk she gave the Ok to build 2 more AR's and if I find a good deal on a 50 bmg she is still ok with that.

I'm still looking for a mosen or a 308 to add to the collection.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

5. Default

One day I will have a Remington 700 but for now ill just plink away with the 770 in 300 win mag till I find a good deal on a 700 in 300 Win Mag.
    I just packed up for a range trip tomorrow, I am only taking 9 guns so the wife is left with only 5 or 6 for the day "I think she will be under gunned, damn near defenseless ".
    I must be drunk she gave the Ok to build 2 more AR's and if I find a good deal on a 50 bmg she is still ok with that.

I'm still looking for a mosen or a 308 to add to the collection.
    If you don't build 2 more AR's you could get a nice 700 started. As for the BMG be careful jumping into the big 50. They are pricey. Living in California I can't get a BMG, we have to run 50DTC. Everything that deals with the big 50's is outrageous. Reloading equipment is way more and specific to the 50. That being said mine should be finished sometime in July August time frame. I have most all the equipment to start reloading. If your serious about the BMG look into the FCSA. They are a wealth of knowledge.

Well I am back from a range trip and gun cleaning day.
    I ended up taking 10 guns and had a blast for 4 Hours but spent 5 hours cleaning guns after.

My shoulder is toast that 300 win mag beat the hell out of me "I was using a shooting rest and could not get a good grip on the front of the rifle so it beat the crap out of me 'one handing a 300 win mag". But I am dialed in at 100 yards with the new nikon prostaff 3-9x40 I put on it.

I did get in to a little shooting match with a guy that was on a 5.56 and I was using my 300 AAC at the time making a water bottle dance at 100 yards, he was the winner due to cost per round but I hit it ever shot so did he for 30 rounds each. "We both had the range basically shut down while they all watched" I was praying I did not miss a shot I just could not give up with this guy he was one of them want to be operators with a $1000 scopes and a colt AR 15 and I had a cheap UTG bug buster on my home built AR.

I also shot that 22 short pistol I found in my father in-laws junk draw and it didn't not blow up.
    I did not have as good a day with pistols, I was all over the place for some reason.

Its a good thing I was shooting my hand loads today or I would have not been as accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.W.B. View Post
    The Rem. 700 is an excellent platform. I can't imagine you not falling in love with it. That stupid trapdoor thingy came from the Mouser 98. IMO one of the best platforms ever built. It is stupid. you went with the VTR so.... 22-250, 25-06, 7 SM? I personally like the 25-06.
    Happy shooting.
    Mine's a .308

I'm already in love with the 700 and have been for quite a while. My brother's rifle is based on the 700. Of course he has a match barrel, a NightForce Scope, an AICS chassis and now a suppressor so the only thing 700 about it is the receiver.

My good friend and hunting partner was in the big city yesterday and picked up my rifle for me. I told the gunsmith I wanted the new Timney trigger set to 3 lb's but it came back right around 2.5 It should be ok and I ran the snap caps through it a bunch yesterday to get myself used to the new weight. I really like that Timney trigger. It's very crisp and clean.

Now to get that gun to the range and get it broken in and sighted in!

Sadly, it's probably going to be another week before I can get there *sigh*

Got my so called Blemished PSA M4 Upper - 16'' CMV CL Stripped Upper today.
    I cant find a thing wrong with it

It took 15 days to build it and ship it, exactly what they said on the web site.
    If I can get the rest on sale ill have $500 in this build.
    I could have went with PTAC and save some $ but I just don't like their stuff.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 05-22-2014 at 10:15 AM.

So I got to the range on mother's day and got my 700 sighted in. I forgot the camera and don't own a smart phone so no pics. But the gun shoots very nicely and I turned in multiple 3 round groups at 100 yards that could easily be covered by a quarter. I did a few shots at 200 also (that's the limit of our range) and was happy with the results. I'm going again Saturday and have to sight in my other hunting rifle and will be shooting the pistols as well. I can't wait to see how my 700 does after a brief rest after it's initial break in. I'm going to try to remember to take the camera.

Add one Enfield ishapore 2a.

I traded a kayak a while back and the guy was supposed to find me a mosen and he showed up with this.
    The poor thing has been painted with gold trim

I would rather of had a Mosen but I want to try and save this rifle and made the deal.
    Now it will take me weeks just to remove the paint.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 06-27-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Add one Enfield ishapore 2a.

I traded a kayak a while back and the guy was supposed to find me a mosen and he showed up with this.
    The pore thing has been painted with gold trim

I would rather of had a Mosen but I want to try and save this rifle and made the deal.
    Now it will take me weeks just to remove the paint.
    LOL - you should post a pic of it in it's "before" state!

I redid the stock on one of my Savage 99's two years ago with a Tru-Oil stock refinishing kit and it came out really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    LOL - you should post a pic of it in it's "before" state!

I redid the stock on one of my Savage 99's two years ago with a Tru-Oil stock refinishing kit and it came out really nice.
    I may do that.
    The stock has been repaired in 2 places but other than that it looks to be in not to bad of shape besides the paint, dirt and a few bugered up screws.

I may just strip it down and do a good clean up, nothing really time consuming. "that Gold paint has to go".
    For now I just put it in the gun cabinet and will be ignoring it for a while as I work on the AR 15 is started this month.

Ordered most of the parts I was missing for this last AR build for $169.99 PSA daily deals
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html
    I'm just missing a striped lower and a rear sight, so I need maybe $70 more to finish it.

It may take me 3 months to get all the parts I want but I will do it for $500 or less

Ordered most of the parts I was missing for this last AR build for $169.99 PSA daily deals
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html
    I'm just missing a striped lower and a rear sight, so I need maybe $70 more to finish it.

It may take me 3 months to get all the parts I want but I will do it for $500 or less
    Nice!

You'll definitely have to take some pics and post them when it's done

15. Default

Called the gunsmith today and the gun he's building for me won't be done in July like planned. He's still waiting on barrels. At least I get to meet him and see his shop when I visit my brother in law in Florida next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
    Called the gunsmith today and the gun he's building for me won't be done in July like planned. He's still waiting on barrels. At least I get to meet him and see his shop when I visit my brother in law in Florida next month.
    What are you having built?

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    What are you having built?
    A ferret 50 supercomp chambered in 50 dtc. I'm going to use it for FCSA matches and some extra long range fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
    A ferret 50 supercomp chambered in 50 dtc. I'm going to use it for FCSA matches and some extra long range fun.
    Sweet!

One of these days I'm going to get to shoot a .50

Nice i want one bad.
    The 50 is on my short list of guns i want.

Well i stated on the enfield yesterday and it has been a challenge to get the paint off it.
    Not much finish is left under the paint and i used chemical to strip the paint i did not sand it off.
    Most of the screws are buggered up good and the stock i am going to sand down and try to remove some of the damage.

I almost dropped the thing in the trash once i got started stiping it down it was in bad shape.
    I see why it was spray painted now to cover up the destroyed finish.
    Over all its only cosmetic damage the rifling and action are in great shape.

yes si have pictures but they are on my phone i don't know how to send them to photo bucket.

Nice i want one bad.
    The 50 is on my short list of guns i want.

Well i stated on the enfield yesterday and it has been a challenge to get the paint off it.
    Not much finish is left under the paint and i used chemical to strip the paint i did not sand it off.
    Most of the screws are buggered up good and the stock i am going to sand down and try to remove some of the damage.

I almost dropped the thing in the trash once i got started stiping it down it was in bad shape.
    I see why it was spray painted now to cover up the destroyed finish.
    Over all its only cosmetic damage the rifling and action are in great shape.

yes i have pictures but they are on my phone i don't know how to send them to photo bucket.

Thread Information