Thread: Electrinic Humidifier Question

Default Electrinic Humidifier Question

Hello,

I bought a 250 count humidor about five weeks ago, and filled it to max. At first I used crystals and regular humidifiers to control the RH, but I noticed that it wasn't doing the job, so I purchased an electronic humidifier with fan kit.

There are four shelves in the humidor, with gaps in each shelf. I placed the e-humidifier and fan on the bottom, pointing up through the gaps in each shelf.

The problem I'm having is that while the RH level on the e-humidor is reading 70%, my digital hydrometer readings are far lower btwn 62%-65% - even when the two are aligned next to each other.

I'm guessing that it could be a couple of things:
    1. The e-humidifier is defective and/or
    2. I did not season the humidor, in which case it will take several weeks to respond.

Even if the problem is the seasoning or lack of, the e-humidor doesn't seem to be making a difference.

Attached is a pic, I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
    Dirk

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	2425  

Are you sure your hygrometers are calibrated?

Absolutely.

Blog Entries

Seal the door and perhaps the windows and post an intro

Blog Entries

Leave things well enough alone. 62% to 65% is almost too high anyway.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by WIP View Post
    Are you sure your hygrometers are calibrated?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkummerle View Post
    Absolutely.
    I don't see how your hygrometers can be calibrated properly if they are getting significantly different readings when placed next to each other. Did you calibrate with a salt test?

Your humidor is quite large. Assuming that it was quite dry when bought, it will probably suck up a lot of the humidity available before it stabilizes. As Craig mentioned, check for leaks around the doors and windows and keep your beads hydrated.

Mark

How are your cigars smoking? I really don't see a problem here. Most hygrometers aren't precise enough to get that anal about a few points. Mine is rarely above 63% and my cigars smoke just fine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSpencer View Post
    How are your cigars smoking? I really don't see a problem here. Most hygrometers aren't precise enough to get that anal about a few points. Mine is rarely above 63% and my cigars smoke just fine.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

The cigars are smoking fine, but I guess I was more concerned whether the electronic humidifier was not functioning properly, or if I wasn't using it correctly. As it turns out, the humidifier needs to be replaced. I agree tho, no need to be concerned about a few %, low-mid 60s is fine by me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dkummerle View Post
    The cigars are smoking fine, but I guess I was more concerned whether the electronic humidifier was not functioning properly, or if I wasn't using it correctly. As it turns out, the humidifier needs to be replaced. I agree tho, no need to be concerned about a few %, low-mid 60s is fine by me.
    You mean the fan unit? Why does it need replaced if you have a different hydrometer that you trust? I have an Oasis, and even if it was reading low / high, I could adjust the rH level to calibrate it myself. Do the fans not work at all?

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I have a 500 count humi my wife bought me for x'mas that has a large open area at the bottom and two trays on top. I purchased an e-humidier (Hydra-sm) for it.

I also purchased two extra fans (including one fan kit) to help circulate air (and thus humidity) evenly around the humi.

Originally I bought one XiKar (Madeleine) digital hygrometer:

http://www.amazon.com/Madelaine-Adju.../dp/B0021XIDO4

But the first one was broken so I then bought 3 Caliber III digital hygrometrs:

http://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital.../dp/B0007W1EA6

One for the 500 count, one for my 100 count and one for the travel humi. I bought those while waiting for the replacement XiKar.

The Caliber III's do not require any calibrating. In fact, the documentation that comes with them specifically says, don't do it! The XiKar did need to be calibrated. I've noticed over time the XiKar loses its calibration slowly. Right now, it shows about 4% RH less than the Caliber's when at first, it showed the exact same. The 3 Calibers have always been exactly the same both temp and RH.

I never did calibrate the e-humidifier. I didn't bother because I had the Caliber's. I simply adjusted the RH setting to keep my humi at about 65/66% RH which seems to suit my location and cigars the best.

I don't know that it matters, but I suggest you ignore the e-humi's hygrometer if your digital hygrometer's are accurate.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Thread Information