Thread: even burn

1. Default even burn

is it fair to say that a well rolled cigar will automatically burn evenly if you just let it sit? thats the experience i've been having...im thinking that the cut has to be flush inorder to get a even burn? am i just making myself look like the noob i am...?

Blog Entries

Uneven burn is usuall the result of a lousy cigar (leaf stems don't burn), poor construction or the fact that your cigar is over humidified.

It has very little if anything to do with how you cut it or how you light it. If a cigar is prone to an uneven burn because of the reasons I just mentioned, the cut or lighting of it won't make any difference, it will still burn lousy.

Bottom line is, don't buy cheap cigars and keep them at 65% RH. You'll experience far less burn problems if you follow that advice

My RH is at about 63% and I did stop buying cheap cigars..... Damn you guys....

Now my cigars burn beautifully

before i actually got into smoking cigars, everywhere i'd read would say to keep humidity at around 75%, but i usually keep it at around 70-72. Would you say 65 is better?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    before i actually got into smoking cigars, everywhere i'd read would say to keep humidity at around 75%, but i usually keep it at around 70-72. Would you say 65 is better?
    I would, especially for Cuban cigars. As I mentioned, I have experienced far fewer burn problems with my domestics storing them at 60 to 60% RH than when they are right off the truck or right out of the humi in the cigar shop.

For instance, I have a box of cigars in my coolerdor that I keep my assorted Opus X in. The RH in that cooler right now is 60% These cigars smoke perfectly at this RH. 60% is slightly on the dry side and a few of my cigars will slightly crack when I punch cut them but they smoke wonderfully at this RH (to me anyway).

Almost everytime I pick up a few Opus X at my local shop and light one up in the car on the way home, they burn crooked, I experience problems with them staying lit, etc.

I would highly recommend that you shoot for 65% by using beads in your humi or coolerdor or whatever you store your cigars in.

6. Default

hmm...so a cohiba would even itself out after an uneven burn to start? on the subject of humidity...i dont have a humidor, but i do have a arturo fuentes humidor bag. supposed to last for 6months, anyone know if this is a good product? it maintains a 2way rh of 70.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bardock
    hmm...so a cohiba would even itself out after an uneven burn to start? on the subject of humidity...i dont have a humidor, but i do have a arturo fuentes humidor bag. supposed to last for 6months, anyone know if this is a good product? it maintains a 2way rh of 70.
    Those work pretty well, I've received cigars in them in passes and trades but I've never used one for cigar storage.

A good, inexpensive way to start a humidor is to use a cooler. Now you probably don't need a 120 quart model like people have who store large quantities of cigars but any size cooler will do. Again, I would recommend using 65%rh beads available from:

Climmax
    Heartfelt Industries

If you're planning on ordering from Climmax be sure to CALL him first. His name is Vern. You want to be sure he has what you want in stock.

As far as a hygrometer, IMO there is no need for anything fancy, an inexpensive gauge one will work fine because the beads will regulate the humidity nearly perfectly for many months. The hygrometer will drop when the beads dry out telling you that you need to add a little water.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    Uneven burn is usuall the result of a lousy cigar (leaf stems don't burn), poor construction or the fact that your cigar is over humidified.

It has very little if anything to do with how you cut it or how you light it. If a cigar is prone to an uneven burn because of the reasons I just mentioned, the cut or lighting of it won't make any difference, it will still burn lousy.

Bottom line is, don't buy cheap cigars and keep them at 65% RH. You'll experience far less burn problems if you follow that advice

hey coventry cat

one ?, will the humidity of a cigar determine the burn?? what i mean is if a cigar is kept at 60%, will it burn uneven as compared to one kept at 70-75%? i have had cigars recently that have seemed to be drier and some of the wrapping started to fall off while smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    storing them at 60 to 60% RH

That's a great range you have Bill.

10. Default

I believe "wetter" cigars are more likely to burn more unevenly than drier cigars.

However, what you're experiencing (the wrappers snapping, cracking, popping, and falling off in various other ways) sounds like a dry humidor to me...

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

What's the best way to keep the humidor steady at 65ish % with a humidifier? To me, it seems that adding moisture to the sponge will always cause an increase in humidity. Am I wrong in this?

Those heartfelt beads are a consideration of mine (how do you use them)? However, I would prefer to make use of my humifier for a couple of reasons, and not take up space with a tray of beads.

I have a yet another collection of questions on this subject if anyone reading is willing to answer them.
    I am a bit picky about things and want them to be well in order:

note: I have decided, against asthetic preference, to keep the cellophane on the cigars that have them, based primarily on MMAB's post in that thread.

1) Do I have to rotate my cigars? If so, how do I do it without keeping the humidor open for a long while?

2) The temperature of my humidor will fluctate between 66-73 degrees. Is this a problem?

3) I assume you have to stack your cigars ontop of one another. Currently I have only one humidor with a simple divider. Is it okay to have so many various kinds of cigars so close to one another?

That's it for now. Thanks.
    Last edited by hp-^; 10-19-2005 at 10:20 PM.

The PG solution is what controls the humdity, it retains/asorbs water at 70% RH.

The questions you just asked

No

No

Yes you can lay them on top of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentChamber
    The PG solution is what controls the humdity, it retains/asorbs water at 70% RH.

The questions you just asked

No

No

Yes you can lay them on top of each other.
    Ditto.

When I put cigars in my desktop humidor, I lay one layer of cigars in one direction, say vertical, and then put the next layer on top of them horizontally. It's probably not necessary to do it this way, but I do it so that the cigars are packed with a bit of space between them instead of stacking them close to each other. I do use a simple divider between maduros and naturals, but not really necessary either. Just my two cents.

Also, Heartfelt offers a cigar-sized stick with beads in it that comes in two sizes and two Rh%s. I got mine a week ago, and it has done wonders for my humidity problems. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and the humidity is always fluctuating wildly.

BTW, To recharge the beads, you just spray/pour a small amount of DISTILLED water on them and you're good to go. Usually last weeks in a seasoned humidor.
    Last edited by TheVitaleMob; 10-24-2005 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Distilled water, not tapwater
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Pomegranates: 0
    Funky Chickens: 2

Thread Information