Thread: Tea

Default Tea

So, recently i have started drinking alot of tea. This is mostly because i find when it is hot outside, i just cannot choke down a cup of coffee. I love the stuff in the winter, but in the summer i am just not a fan. I was wondering if anyone had some favorite blends or tips on making good tea. Currently i have a cup of irish breakfast in the morning and then some basic lipton later in the day.

any suggestions?
    Mark 8:36

I have just about gone completely off starbucks - it is way nasty. I occassionallyhave a cup at a locally-owned place that makes bux look like a mud fence.

I drink tea though. Current favs are: black - Earl Grey. green - Genmaicha (with toasted rice), and Gunpowder.

The first gunpowder I had was given to me by a friend who brought it from China. It was excellent and I haven't found anything quite as good since. This preparation should have a slight smokey flavor. If you're interested, try different brands till you find one you like.

I'm no expert - just my 2 cents
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

The only tea I drink is hot green tea whenever I'm at an oriental place. Other than that, I'm a coffee man!

Blog Entries

I drink the Irish breakfast tea also. There are two other tea's in that line that are good but I can not recall the names of them at this time. I have a lot of loss tea. I have a spoon that has holes in it and you fill the spoon with the tea close the lid and you but it in your cup of hot water which it act like a tea bag. Hubby went to South Carolina and there a tea plantation there the best tea I got from there was a tea in a oak box that was first cut tea. But I like tea also and have had a few tea party's. I have collected over the years all the Victorian tea settings. There is an art to making a fresh pot of tea.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Cinda speaks the truth. There's more to making a fine pot of tea than dropping a bag in a cup of hot water.

Personally, Irish Breakfast and Earl Grey for me (although many Tea Lovers look at Earl Grey like we look at flavoured cigars), but my favourite by far is Chai. If you like Indian spices, you'll love Chai.

I've got a couple of sites with Chai recipes saved on the 'puter at home. If anyone's interested, I'll post 'em up tonight.

EDIT:

Yeah Basil, $bucks is REAL nasty. And I didnt realize it 'till I bought an Espresso machine and a grinder and learned what "good" coffee is really like. The drip machine never gets used any more. I'll use the Espresso machine most often, for either straight shots, Americanos or Cappuccinos, the French Press once in a while but love the Vac Pot. There's a pure way to brew coffee.
    Last edited by Newfie; 07-10-2008 at 08:29 AM.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Don't care much for Chai or hot Orange Pekoe tea (Lipton). I really like Pekoe for iced tea though. I like Oolong tea and it's grassy flavor. I love the smell of Bergamot, so I like Earl Grey. I personally find English Teas the best. The English drink strong dark tea that has flavor.

I find White tea to be a complete joke. It seems meant to be a flavorless base for artificial fruit flavorings. Green tea is very grassy, but a little bland for me as well.

I'm not against flavored tea or herbal tea either. I think mint makes a very good tea by itself, or mixed with other teas. Citrus or flowery flavors/aromas are good as well. I HATE vanilla flavoring in tea. I think it is completely incompatible.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

I like iced green tea (mostly the sugar though) but can't drink it hot. The last time i had chai tea i got incredibly sick so i will not be drinking that again. Irish breakfast seems to be my current favorite though i would like to try other loose teas to see whats out there.

As i was researching loose tea to brew (i'm sure much like pre-ground coffee isant as good as fresh, loose tea is better than packets) and looking at the teapots and such to brew with i wondered if i couldn't just use a frenchpress. i mean does anyone see why this wouldn't work for tea?

Also i agree about starbucks, its over roasted and over priced.

I usually drink a Palmer everytime I light up a cigar. Just a basic tea 2/3 with about 1/3 lemonade

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    snip....
    I find White tea to be a complete joke. It seems meant to be a flavorless base for artificial fruit flavorings. Green tea is very grassy, but a little bland for me as well.
    ....snip
    I've never tried white tea. The wife likes green tea, but I find an ice cube in hot water has more taste.

Quote Originally Posted by here'sjohnny View Post
    snip.... i wondered if i couldn't just use a frenchpress. i mean does anyone see why this wouldn't work for tea?
    ...snip
    It does work. Quite well too, but I prefer stronger tea. I bought a glass pot where I simmer the loose tea for 5 minutes.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COMB2 View Post
    I usually drink a Palmer everytime I light up a cigar. Just a basic tea 2/3 with about 1/3 lemonade
    Never heard about this drink...

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Blog Entries

My wife and I are actually contemplating quitting our jobs and starting a tea house. I have grown fond of Yerba Matte tea. Anything from Stash teas are nice as well.

From England, I enjoy PG Tips and Yorkshire black teas.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    Never heard about this drink...
    Wow, you've never had an Arnold Palmer? you're missing out, this is probably the greatest hot summer day drink ever made IMO. I generally make mine with about 50/50 tea to lemonade (depending on the tea strength) and i like a little lime in it as well.

I have yet to have it with a cigar, but i'm sure it would pair well with a milder natural wrapper like a CAO Gold or a Don Diego

Default Favorites

EDIT:

Yeah Basil, $bucks is REAL nasty. And I didnt realize it 'till I bought an Espresso machine and a grinder and learned what "good" coffee is really like. The drip machine never gets used any more. I'll use the Espresso machine most often, for either straight shots, Americanos or Cappuccinos, the French Press once in a while but love the Vac Pot. There's a pure way to brew coffee.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree...Once you have an espresso from fresh roasted and ground beans you will never go back. I think I am particularly addicted to the little bit of frothy foam on top of the espresso......I am lucky we have a small coffee shop here which imports the raw beans and roast them once a week. I have been surprised at the large difference in flavors between the different coffee growing regions. We bought our espresso machine about 6 months ago and have not used our coffee pot since. (except when camping... campfire coffee is a whole other subject) As for tea I like oolong, Darjeeling and surprisingly just Red Rose orange pekoe. The first two can hold their own against most mild to medium cigars
    Last edited by davearob; 07-11-2008 at 01:47 PM.

I have an espresso machine at work, but this time of year I'll hit bux once in awhile for one of those mocha frappas. Milk shakes for grown ups. Being a Carolina boy, I like to make good tea when it's cold out, but right now it's plain old brewed icey cold "sweet tea" and it goes down fast and refreshing.
    Last edited by pub spears; 07-11-2008 at 04:15 PM.

15. Default

If you get into tea with the same intensity that you get into cigars there's an amazing world awaiting you. At the top of the line there is the world of pu-erh teas, which at their best come in bricks (cakes) that get better with age.

http://tiny.cc/wEsh0
    Three small whiskies had gone to his head and Gallaher's strong cigar had confused his mind, for he was a delicate and abstinent person. (--from the short story 'A Little Cloud' by James Joyce)

Thread Information