Thread: Feeling cheated

1. Default Feeling cheated

I went to the only place that sells good cigars in my area (the other shop is something like 50 miles away), and I bought a Fonseca. I was going to open the tube to inspect the wrapper and the guy that was following me to make sure I wasn't stealing got very upset and told me not to open it. the next day I went to the pool hall to have some fun and enjoy one of my favorite cigars. I had a nice cut and I started to light it and it was very hard to draw. I could feel it was way to tightly rolled, and I tried to massage it loose, but it wasn't happening. I ended up giving up on trying to smoke it, because I thought the guys at the shop would gladly replace it to keep me loyal. I went in and told them what happened and they told me to poke it with a toothpick next time. I was furious but I drove all that way and wanted some cigars. so I shook it off and bought 4 cigars one of which was a Tatuaje Havana VI I think. I went home to do some yard work and I decided light it up. half way through it, it started to unravel! It completely fell apart when it got down to the last two inches. I don't have the money to buy boxes, so I feel trapped going to these people who see me as a criminal cause I'm not in slacks and a polo when i go in there. I love a good cigar but if this is what its like buying them locally I may lose interest really quick. I think its a lot of... Am I expecting to much from these people to actually care whether there cigars are quality?

Sorry for the rant. I needed to vent.

I don't think you're expecting too much at all. Their number 1 priority should be helping you out and making sure your cigar experiences are the best they can be. There's no B&M close to me now, but when I lived in VA my B&M owner was VERY friendly and most definitely did not follow you around accusing you of being a criminal! I would not go back there, find a reputable online dealer, there are several. The cigar quality could just be the manufacturers, but I'll bet they aren't storing them correctly in the shop....
    Brian Wells

Is this the same guy who told you that a humi-bag will last 6 months when used every day as a humidor?

A couple of things... when you buy a cigar in a tube, you can certainly open it to inspect it. If the shop clerk doesn't want you to open it before you buy it, inspect it in front of him after you pay for it. If it looks bad ask him to replace it.

As for the unraveling, are you sure you cut the cap correctly? Cutting the cigar too far down will cause the cigar to unravel every time.

I take it the person you are dealing with is the manager / owner. If so I don't think there is much you can do. Try ordering on line there are several vender's who provide outstanding service and quick delivery.

After being treated like that I would just do my business elsewhere. I think some shop owners don't realize the competion they're up against sometimes. My B&M owner was telling me that JR's will sell a box cheaper than what he gets it for at cost. Then he has to mark up his profit plus tax. They should treat you with respect and do anything to keep you happy and coming back for more.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

6. Default

I don't think i have ever met the true owner. mainly its the older guys that treat me badly but the younger guys just ask if I need help. they are very friendly, but there something like six people that work there. so its kind of a crap shoot on which person is working.

They never actually called me a criminal but when I walk in they get up real quick when they see I'm going in the cigar room.

Yes that is the same guy that told me about the humi- bag.

I believe there cigars are in very good conditions. they have a large humidifier and there are in a different part of the shop.

Blog Entries

That's a shame. There is really only one B&M close to me. I know when who works when, so if there is someone I try to avoid, I know when they work. But I've made it a point to meet the owner, attend events they hold, etc. I hang out there when I can, meet the regulars, etc. In addition to this place, I've learned a lot about cigars there. There are certainly guys that get "run out" of there, but they've deserved it.

From what you've described, you don't deserve this treatment. I would maybe try to find out when the younger guys work, or ask the older guys for suggestions. Maybe don't pick a cigar from a tube? Just about everyone that works and hangs out at my local B&M is more than willing to provide suggestions.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Cigars 101, this is kinda personal so feel free not to answer this, but are you still relatively young (under 30)? The reason i ask is because when i first went to my B&M after i had started smoking the occasional cigar, i was 19 years old. I had a very similar experience to yours, where the guys would often follow me around the store and grab cigars from me thinking i would damage them (although they did it more politely than would you describe). I can somewhat understand this as cigar smoking is not stereotypically a young person activity, so it may look suspicious if a younger persons comes in the store and just walks into the humidor (maybe they suspect underage purchasing). I just made sure to take the time to talk to them while they were following me around, just letting them know my tastes and interests. I occasionally get the "you're too young to be smoking cigars line," but in general once they see that i am legit and at least know how to handle a cigar with care they back off a little bit. If you have done this or tried and they still treat you this way, i would peace. With the internet and the ability to purchase from it, its not like they are the only place you can get cigars. Furthermore their cigars are likely to be more expensive. Customer service is all they have and if they aren't giving that to you i say tell you'll take your money elsewhere.
    Last edited by here'sjohnny; 07-15-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: elaboration
    Mark 8:36

Quote Originally Posted by here'sjohnny View Post
    Cigars 101, this is kinda personal so feel free not to answer this, but are you still relatively young (under 30)? The reason i ask is because when i first went to my B&M after i had started smoking the occasional cigar, i was 19 years old. I had a very similar experience to yours, where the guys would often follow me around the store and grab cigars from me thinking i would damage them (although they did it more politely than would you describe). I can somewhat understand this as cigar smoking is not stereotypically a young person activity, so it may look suspicious if a younger persons comes in the store and just walks into the humidor (maybe they suspect underage purchasing). I just made sure to take the time to talk to them while they were following me around, just letting them know my tastes and interests. I occasionally get the "you're too young to be smoking cigars line," but in general once they see that i am legit and at least know how to handle a cigar with care they back off a little bit. If you have done this or tried and they still treat you this way, i would peace. With the internet and the ability to purchase from it, its not like they are the only place you can get cigars. Furthermore their cigars are likely to be more expensive. Customer service is all they have and if they aren't giving that to you i say tell you'll take your money elsewhere.
    I have to agree about the age thing; my experience was similar. I'd say, regardless of your age, the best way to get good treatment in a B&M is to make friends with the folks in charge. Do what mrtr33 said. Stop by there as often as possible; I'll go in if I'm just in the area or driving by. When you do go in, try to buy something, even if its cheap. Whether you buy something or not, make sure you talk to the guys; just make small talk, ask about events, smoking laws, whatever. Also, go to events hosted by the shops. The folks at my B&Ms seemed very stand-offish when I first started going around, but at this point I know them to be really nice guys. Also, I've gone from getting watched while I shop, to getting discounts every time I go in.
    Last edited by ReV; 07-15-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Kinda like building up trust and joining a community of cigar smokers..........just in real life. I think if you follow the above advice and be respectful, it'll work out for you.

11. Default

I understand them checking my id and them not being familiar with me so they are worried about me being careful. the thing is i am new to the cigar scene and not the most social person because of my OCD, so im trying to get familiar with the place before i sit down with them and smoke.

Cigars101,

I completely understand how you feel about people watching you in the humidor like you're sbout to pocket all the sticks and run for the exit. When I started smoking cigars there were two shops I stopped in where the employee on duty made a point to stare at me while I perused the humidor. I was a clean-cut 30 year old when I started so I don't think that I exuded some shady or criminal appearance. When I stepped into my current B&M the owner was damn near the friendliest, most helpful gent I've ever had the fortune to meet. I can tell you this-there are enough shops in Atlanta (and I've found the best one ) that those two shops will never see another dollar from me...ever.

If the closest shop is 50 miles away, hit them once a month or buy online. No need to put up with distrusting retailers. Just my $.02

TampaSupremo
    "Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"-H.P. Lovecraft

Hola Cigars101.

After reading your post I understand you're not a cigar shoplifter, just a young man with legal age to buy cigars and initiate yourself in this Gentle Art of Smoking. Congratulations for your fine taste. Then, I understand your feelings very well, I'm with you, as many others.

You received very good ideas and suggestions from reputed smokers in these forums.

I live far away from the US. But there's a couple of things I would like to explain you that works well here in Europe. You can do what you think is more suitable.

A written complain form adressed to an Official Consumer Association or a Consumer Defense Legal Department explaining them all you have explained to us, better if you have the rest of the unsmokable sticks you lighted to prove your complain.

A store owner is not allowed to sell things in bad conditions, normally it could be considered a crime. Considering also the big fight against all tobacco consumption all over the World, you can easily put that cigar shop in troubles. A legal process may start.

If you decide to do this, forget visit them again.

However, if you want a milder solution, you may write a letter direct to the shop owner, explaining him his shop team behavior, the bad quality of theproducs they sold you and your legal intention to smoke cigars and learn more about cigar smoking. It may works also. If the guy is smart, he will invite you to visit again his shop.

Hoping you find the best cigars for a good smoke, receive my regards.

Ricardo.

I'm almost 21 and I just started smoking cigars. The same thing happens to me when I go into my local shop. All of the guys who work there are a bit older so I always get the look, its quite intimidating. I feel so embarrassed I've been getting my stuff from a convenience store with a humidor, though there isn't nearly the selection nor the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmimic View Post
    I'm almost 21 and I just started smoking cigars. The same thing happens to me when I go into my local shop. All of the guys who work there are a bit older so I always get the look, its quite intimidating. I feel so embarrassed I've been getting my stuff from a convenience store with a humidor, though there isn't nearly the selection nor the knowledge.
    convenience store cigars should be motivation enough to march back up in your B&M no matter how embarrassing... see my previous comment. Trust me, I was in your exact shoes just over a year and a half ago. Try taking a friend with you to the B&M so it won't get to you as much.
    Last edited by ReV; 07-24-2008 at 08:42 AM.

They should want you to love to come there. Not replacing that cigar is crazy. They place I got to local, you can go and tell the manager the cigar was nasty or burn issue and he will let you pick a new one out or one in the same price range. That makes me come back along with friends that then become customers and on down the line. I've seen places with cheaper prices but this customer service will keep you coming back

17. Default

i went back one more time to see if i could get a better response out of them. and i was in the humidor for less than a minute and he walks in and starts telling me not to open any tubes or cellophane or anything. i politely asked him why I'm not allowed to open the tubes. he got upset and said, " absolutely not, if you open the tube, take the cigar out and slam it back in the wrapper will tear and people will bring it back then i cant sell it."

i am very gentle with the cigars and have never torn a wrapper. i wont be going back. i found one a little closer than 50 miles but I've never been but will be going next week. Ill let you guys know my experience.

Thread Information