Thread: Pinar Beso Calor Toro

Default Pinar Beso Calor Toro

Last night I smoked a Pinar Beso Calor Toro.

This stick is made by Armando Ramos, which implies an Ecuadorian blend. The wrapper is a cross between Connecticut and Ecuadoran Sumatra. I was unable to find out what constitutes the filler and binder. I am not certain, but I get the impression that this is a limited and expensive cigar. My friend brought me one from the B&M he frequents.

"Beso Calor" means "Hot Kiss", and this cigar is aptly named. The wrapper is very spicy, and this spiciness nearly stings the lips during lighting and in the first third of the cigar. The first third was dominated by the peppery spiciness; in the middle of the cigar the spiciness faded and the cigar was dominated by a grassy flavor. In the final third the cigar made a surprising change: the spice returned somewhat, along with some earthiness and other flavors, becoming very mutilflavored and rich by the time my fingers were burning at the nub. Burn and ash were flawless throughout the smoking experience.

Score: 87

I would recommend this stick if you like very spicy cigars. I cannot comment on whether it's a good value because I cannot figure out what the MSRP is. I would be comfortable paying 6 bucks for this stick as a special treat. I have no idea what the actual price is. If anyone knows anything more about this cigar please enlighten me.

EDITED TO ADD:
    The following link appears to imply that Pinar cigars are made from legal pre-embargo Cuban tobacco.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science...gar/index.html

Any thoughts?

EDITED AGAIN:
    I just spoke with my buddy who gave me the cigar and he says that the Beso Calor is not part of Pinar's pre-embargo line (the 3000s).
    Last edited by King Catfish; 07-16-2008 at 08:07 AM.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information