Thread: Wwyd

Default Wwyd

Quick history. There are 2 cigar shops very close to my home. One has a really friendly and courteous owner(knows my name talks to me as someone who loves cigars not as a salesman), the other has a salesman just trying to sell anything(don't know if he's owner or not). Both have a nice selection in their humidors. Needless to say I support the nice guy and buy from him.

However, today I was in the "nice guy's" shop looking for my weekend smokes. I opened a metal tube of a Partagas black label maximo and noticed a circle of grayish stuff near the foot on the cigar. I opened 2 more and found the same thing. I think it was mold. I read that if you see mold or evidence of beetles - run. But I would feel badly not going there because the owner is such a nice guy, so should I tell him that I found what I think is mold? He wasn't at the store today, there was some kid behind the counter that I've never seen before. I was thinking that I should go in tomorrow and show him what I have found. I walked out today and went to the other shop, which is a newer store and I didn't find any traces of mold while inspecting.

I would rather stay loyal to the friendly guy, but not for the chance of buying tainted smokes. They have a similar selection and the prices are comparable, I just don't like the guy who tries to sell me the first stick that I look at.

What Would You Do?
    Tell the guy about the mold or go to the shop with the salesman and ignore his pitches?

Point out the sticks to the owner. It might be plume. It might be mold, maybe he'll give them to you for free and you can scrape it off and smoke it anyway. Just don't stick em in your collection.

But considering that the mold is at the foot of the cigar, which would located at the capped end, I would think mold.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Everytime I see funky stuff on a tubed cigar....it has been mold.

I have yet to see a tubed cigar get plume over time. All of mine that have it are boxed.

Blog Entries

Absolutely show the owner.......I'm sure he would want to know if its mold. As far as your loyalty with the $$.....there are 5 shops around me and I only shop at two of them with any regularity, for the same reasons.

Let him know The shop I used to go to had top notch stuff but one day I looked at some R&J tubes and most of the box had mold.

What's up with the mold tubes? Trapped moisture? Tube holding heat?

Quote Originally Posted by COMB2 View Post
    Let him know The shop I used to go to had top notch stuff but one day I looked at some R&J tubes and most of the box had mold.

I would think a bit of both. These specific tubes had little foam discs at the opening/foot of tube. maybe something got stuck in there and spored??

Thanks guys, I'm going to let him know tomorrow. Not for the idea of free smokes, but the fact that he is a really good guy. Plus he's across the street from a Dunkin Donuts so it's a double win when I go there. I'm addicted to coffee too.

What's plume? Haven't heard that term before.

If it's just one box no big deal. Even if it was a shipment, again no big deal. If his whole humi is that way, then you got a problem. You check out Maxi's off the Hempstead Turnpike, overpriced, but Jack (the owner) is a real nice guy and he runs a great shop. Pool table, byob, golden tee, darts, leather chairs, etc...
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU View Post
    If it's just one box no big deal. Even if it was a shipment, again no big deal. If his whole humi is that way, then you got a problem. You check out Maxi's off the Hempstead Turnpike, overpriced, but Jack (the owner) is a real nice guy and he runs a great shop. Pool table, byob, golden tee, darts, leather chairs, etc...
    Maxi's is the place where the guy just wanted to sell me the first thing he thought off. I don't think it was the owner, but that's what turned me off from that place. I've been there twice and both times he just picked up one cigar said "this is good" and walked away. And the 2nd time it wasn't a good smoke. The first one was ok.

I grew up around the block from where Maxi's is. I had such high hopes for it since it opened there. Grab a stick and a bagel from A&S what could be better???
    Last edited by logan37; 07-25-2008 at 01:07 AM. Reason: A&S

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by COMB2 View Post
    It is a combination of some of that and a few extras. the trapped moisture held closer to the cigar and the somewhat warmer environment, no air circulation, and its dark. im a newbie at cigars but i do grow plants in a terrarium, and have had a problem with mold. so if you have a closed tube i would either open one end for the air to get to it a little more, or once a week take it out blow in the tube to replace the stagnant air. but then again i am a cigar newbie so i may be wrong, but thats what i think could work to reduce the chance of mold.

I just got back from the smoke shop and I showed the owner what I found on the Partagas. He thank me for showing him and encouraged me to tell him about anything else that seems "off" if I should find anything.

His explanation was that they had just changed the filters in his humidifiers so the humidity spiked the past couple of days. He showed me where his hydrometer is located and it read 78%Rh. He then assured me over the next few days it would drop some more and stabilize. He said the white spots were plume, which happens in high humidity and that it won't damage the stick or cause inferior quality. My naiveness still makes me skeptical about the Partagas, but the rest of his stock looks good, so I bought a RP "the edge" maduro that I'm going to fire up in about 10 mins.

Does the explanation that it was plume sound right to the guys who know? The owner's reaction scored him more points with me so I hope there is nothing for me to worry about.

FYI other newbs. I found this site with some great info that may answer some questions. http://cigarhumidors.vigilantinc.com...dors-101.asp#6

From the above web site about this topic:

14. What is bloom and what is mold?

Bloom (often called plume) is the slow rising of essential oils to the surface of the cigar. It first appears as tiny crystals and will eventually make the cigar appear dusty. A more advance bloom gives an opaque white look to the entire cigar. Bloom isn't harmful to cigars. It's an indication that the cigar has been maintained at a 70+% RH for a long period of time. Many smokers prefer a cigar in the bloom state.

Mold is a fungus. It appears on the surface of cigars when the relative humidity in your humidor exceeds 80%. It looks like blue/gray fuzzy patches on the surface of the wrapper and will spread by producing spores. If mold appears, you should remove the affected cigars and check for any mold on the wood of your humidor. It's important to separate the affected cigars immediately and to wipe down the interior lining of your humidor with isopropyl or denatured alcohol. This will kill mold and may leave slight stains on your humidor's interior wood. Click here to see photos of mold.

Gently wipe the mold off of your cigars and leave them at room humidity for 36 hours, then place them back into your humidor (obviously after addressing the moisture problem that caused the mold in the first place). Check these cigars every few days to ensure that mold growth has stopped. Some people recommend more drastic measures such as placing your cigars in the freezer to kill the mold. Try our method first before going to such extremes. If your problem continues, you may need a new humidor.
    [back to top]

15. My cigars have whites spots on them. Is that Okay?

The white spots on your cigars may be a very good sign that things are going well. Not all cigars need to be at 70 degrees F. White powder on cigars is called “bloom” and it is a sign of a well-aged cigar. Bloom is what happens when the oils in the tobacco disperse throughout and reach the wrapper. The oils then dry to create a white power on the outside of the cigar. Some avid cigar smokers prefer to smoke only cigars that have aged to bloom.
    Last edited by logan37; 07-25-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    He said the white spots were plume, which happens in high humidity and that it won't damage the stick or cause inferior quality.
    That doesn't sound right. Plume, from what I understand, is the crystalization of the oils on the cigar. I've never heard of it being connnected to high humidity. Usually plume means it's been kept in a stable atmosphere.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Unfortunately, I don't know if it was there a month ago. Yesterday was the first time I even looked at those sticks. The spot could've been there for a while. Other then the spot, the sticks felt and smelt fine. Maybe I'll just stay away from those ones as I didn't find any spots anywhere else so far.

From my experience and reading the stories of others, It's allways "plume" according to the cigar shop owner/worker. I haven't heard of one yet admitting that they had mold on a cigar.

why would they though? they never want to expose the fact that they screwed up in storing their cigars. That would mean that all the sticks have the possibility of being screwed up, adn there they go, lost all the customers in the store at that time.

That said, I dont know much about cigars, but isnt plume from being stored at the right humidity? and he showed you the humidity was at almost 80%...doesnt sound right to me. I'd probably say its mold.

EDIT: For anyone who knows, about how long does it take for plume to form if the sticks are stored properly? and this might be a dumb question, but is plume that worth waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by debo08080 View Post
    ...For anyone who knows, about how long does it take for plume to form if the sticks are stored properly? and this might be a dumb question, but is plume that worth waiting for?
    Plume can form very quickly, it may take years, or it may never form at all. 2 sticks in the same box can plume at different times, or 1 may plume right away and the other never.

Plume does not change the flavor or characteristic of the cigar. It is only an indication that it has been stored correctly, but having a cigar never plume does not necessarily indicate that it was stored incorrectly.

Also keep in mind that not all blame falls on the store owner for moldy tubes.

Heck, even fuentes are known for getting mold under the ceder sleeves-stored properly.

Sometimes they are just packed to wet and then the tube is sealed. I don't know many shop owners that open each individual tube...unless it is a small shop with a very slow turn around. I told one of my B&M owners locally about mold on some montecristo tubos. He apologized and then checked EVERY one...about 400 or so. Scored me some freebies too.

You would be surprised how mold trends with certain cigars. It is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by guado View Post

Heck, even fuentes are known for getting mold under the ceder sleeves-stored properly.

Sometimes they are just packed to wet and then the tube is sealed. I don't know many shop owners that open each individual tube...unless it is a small shop with a very slow turn around. I told one of my B&M owners locally about mold on some montecristo tubos. He apologized and then checked EVERY one...about 400 or so. Scored me some freebies too.

I think this may be what the issue is. I only saw the "mold" on the metal tubed ones. and the other Partagas in boxes next to them where fine. I think that I'm going to keep going there as of now, but I'm going to keep my eyes open and stay away from those tubes. I'll just have to try a different Partagas. He has the same ones but a different size in glass tubes right next to them. Maybe I'll grab one of those.

Thanks guys.

Logan-Keep in mind many times you can get the same cigar without a tube for a dollar or two cheaper. Tubes are just a flashy package that costs you more.

Blog Entries

The only tubos I have ever had show signs of mold were Montes.......I carry cigars on the road with me frequently, and tubes are pretty convenient for that so I usually buy and store several different ones.

Logan-Keep in mind many times you can get the same cigar without a tube for a dollar or two cheaper. Tubes are just a flashy package that costs you more.

Thanks guado. I'll keep this in mind when I go back for more.

Thread Information