Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homebrew

Default Homebrew

I believe I'm taking the plunge. I live in a state where you simply can't get some of the best beers. We have a 6% cap on beer, so that leaves a very weak and limited selection. There are different sites that will ship beer, but shipping prices are ridiculous. I also live in a state where homebrewing is illegal. shhh

So I know a few of you BOTL's are homebrewers as well and could probably use some of your advice.

First off, I'm a fan of high alcohol content stouts. Any stout for that matter. (Rogue Chocolate, Old Rasputin, Mackeson XXX,, Sam Smith Imperial Stout, etc.) I'm equally as big a fan of Belgium/Belguim Styles (Chimay, St. Bernardus , Ommegang) but from what I've read probably won't be trying those for quite some time.

I wouldn't mind kegging except for I don't have a separate fridge. I would not look forward to sanitizing all those bottles and the fridge I have now is PACKED with beer. So it looks as if I'm going to need another fridge regardless. Plus kegging is a lot more expensive.

Now, I'm just looking for the best places to purchase essentials (equipment, ingredients, etc.)

Any advice from you wiser than I?
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

i am in with chris here 3.2 beer if you dont go to the state liquor store witch colose at 7 here i dont get off til 8 or 9 any input would be cool

dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Quote Originally Posted by dustinpollock View Post
    i am in with chris here 3.2 beer if you dont go to the state liquor store witch colose at 7 here i dont get off til 8 or 9 any input would be cool

dustin
    I would say 3.2 is a good limit for you.
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    I would say 3.2 is a good limit for you.
    we need you in the drunken review i know it would be awsome

dustin

less taste more filling
    Last edited by dustinpollock; 07-29-2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: add more

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

well good luck to both of you. I'll be expecting a bottle of both when its done.

seriously though, it seems like something interesting to do.

There is a whole host of internet homebrew stores:
    Northern Brewer
    Austin Homebrew Supply
    Homebrew Heaven
    High Gravity Brew
    Homebrewers Outpost
    just to name a few. Northern and Austin are the most commonly used and Homebrewers Outpost is out of AZ. I've been brewing for several years and have a great deal of recipes especially in extract with specialty grain. Many Imp Stouts and Belgians.
    Note: If you're going to brew big beers, you'll need to bottle. Big beers can age well and you don't want to tie up kegs for years.

Good luck
    Wild

On Tap -

1. Red IPA
    2. Extreme Red

Secondary - Mesquite Bourbon Mead

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind." - Humphrey Bogart

I've got my eye on this kit. How's it look?

What should I brew for my first batch? Would something like a stout be too difficult for a first timer?

I'll volunteer my services for the tasting panel.

I've got my eye on this kit. How's it look?
    That is the exact kit that I started out with and I still use most of it to this day.
    Have you had the chance to read How To Brew By John Palmer?

What should I brew for my first batch? Would something like a stout be too difficult for a first timer?
    Not at all. 95% of the beers you'll brew will follow the same basic steps.
    Steap
    Sparge
    Boil
    Add Hops
    Add Adjuncts
    Chill
    Pitch yeast
    wait
    bottle

Do you have a favorite stout you'd like to clone?
    Wild

On Tap -

1. Red IPA
    2. Extreme Red

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind." - Humphrey Bogart

I stick with extracts for your first dozen or so batches. You can make fantastic beer with extracts, costs a little more but way simple. Easier than making soup and the volume is less so you can fill your bucket with 3 gallons of ice cold water and dump your hot wort in, it will go down to pitch temp. in minutes.
    The kit looks fine. It will work great.
    Buy a couple of cases of a beer like Sam Adams, you can reuse the bottles. As for big bottles, if you know any wait staff, have them collect champagne bottles, they work great, are thick as hell and a regular beer cap fits them perfect. Its what I use for my really high gravity stuff.
    As for cleaning, always rinse your bottles after pouring until clean then a little more. Let dry. Once you have a couple of cases worth that are rinsed clean and dry, put a little piece of tin foil (2 in sq) over the mouth, place in oven, turn oven to 350 wait about and hour and a half and then shut the oven off and go to bed, in the morning the bottles are cool and sterilized, not sanitized like with the rinses but actually sterilized. Uber clean and because of the tin foil, they will stay that way until the foil comes off so are ready to use whenever you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
    I'll volunteer my services for the tasting panel.
    Oh don't you worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by wild View Post
    That is the exact kit that I started out with and I still use most of it to this day.
    Have you had the chance to read How To Brew By John Palmer?

Not at all. 95% of the beers you'll brew will follow the same basic steps.
    Steap
    Sparge
    Boil
    Add Hops
    Add Adjuncts
    Chill
    Pitch yeast
    wait
    bottle

Do you have a favorite stout you'd like to clone?
    I haven't read How To Brew, yet. I joined a homebrew board and picked up The Complete Joy of Homebrewing.

Do I need a Carboy now? I'd rather just go ahead and buy it if I'll need it down the road. I understand it leaves the sediment in the first container instead of bottling it. Keeps you from having to leave a little in the bottle when you pour.

I love Rogue Chocolate Stout, and I saw a clone kit of Rogue's Shakespeare Stout which is yummy as well. But I don't want it to be like an Easy 'Beer' Oven like Mr. Beer. Plus the packet was like $44, seems steep.

i need the recipe for keystone light

i told the wife i was getting a home brewing kit and she asked where i wanted my bags left

Dustin

Blog Entries

DAMMIT Chris

Like I need another hobby... And another newb status on a homebrew forum
    Now I'm going into the homebrewing business
    I'll be ordering some equipment very soon!

That is a great read Wild, enough to push me over the edge of another slippery slope... thanks
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Ok, I found my answer for the carboy question. I'm having trouble picking out a kit. I found one at Austin Homebrew Supply for a clone of Young's Double Chocolate which I love! But I read where this is good for aging. Any advice as to what would be good young?

15. Default

I just left my neighbors house...Out of being polite I drank a "tall boy" bud he offered up.

Now I'm going to get rid of the taste with a Stone IPA.

Chris...You should try to brew some IPA. I love hops!!!

Blog Entries

There's a Micro just down the street from me that serves up a wicked IPA at 7.1 abv

I love that stuff
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

lol sarge ... do me a big big faver on your vaca have a keystone light while your fishing on the bank and the sun is just hiting you just right ....jk(i have to get out more) i am thinking about buying the same one set it up in the basement somewhere

dustin

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    I just left my neighbors house...Out of being polite I drank a "tall boy" bud he offered up.

Now I'm going to get rid of the taste with a Stone IPA.

Chris...You should try to brew some IPA. I love hops!!!
    Well, you know, if you would come hang out every once in a while I might try brewing some.

Have you tried the Stone Oatmeal Chocolate Stout yet? Oh, it looks soooo good.

well, you know, if you would come hang out every once in a while i might try brewing some.

Have you tried the stone oatmeal chocolate stout yet? Oh, it looks soooo good.
    Fo' Sho'

If the idea of some "chef's choke-alot" stout doesn't entice him out of Jackson, I don't know what will.
    Last edited by WOXOF; 08-01-2008 at 01:57 AM.

Any advice as to what would be good young?
    Hefes
    Milds
    Browns
    Can be ready in 1-2 weeks if kegging. With bottles, you'll need the extra 2-3 weeks to carb.

PAs
    Reds
    Ambers
    Brown Porters
    Stouts
    Minimum 6 weeks to drink from bottle.

Hey bigwhiteash - You're welcome!
    Wild

On Tap -

1. Red IPA
    2. Extreme Red

Thread Information