Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of displaying military awards at work or on holidays?

Default What do you think of displaying military awards at work or on holidays?

Lately, I have a much nicer work space and have begun to decorate it. First I started with family photo's, diplomas, kids gifts, etc. Then, since I had a lot of room, I decided to dig out all the plaques, medals, mementos, coins, awards, and certificates I got during my military service. There are quite a few since I was in for nine years total, served in the post color guard at Redstone Arsenal for two years of it, and served in Desert Shield/Storm as an Artilleryman in the Fire Direction Center. My wife seems somewhat apalled by all this. She is under the impression that "Only old men display veteran stuff." and that it looks boastful.

What is everyone's opinion on this? What about displaying your medals on holidays such as Veterans day, the fourth, and Memorial day? The VA is sending out pamphlets trying to get veterans to do this.

I also wonder why my wife seems slightly uncomfortable with this.
    Last edited by Kenyth; 08-15-2008 at 12:58 PM.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

2. Default

I say PUT THEM UP! You served our country and were awarded medals for it. I'm sure those medals are well-earned and should be displayed wherever possible.

Blog Entries

I don't think there is a thing wrong with it. Display them with pride!! I served in the Navy for several years and have the attendant ribbons, etc.....I keep them in my home office, but they are on display.

My office at work has photo's of my family on the walls, and the top of the credenza behind my desk is covered with cigar boxes and fake greenery.

my bad
    Last edited by WhiteWidow; 08-15-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: double post by accident
    End of line.

I think its a cool idea. I always thought shadowboxes looked pretty kick ass, and they make a nice display that would certainly be appropriate for home or office. I imagine your wife's problem is that she thinks it looks tacky, a shadowbox might be a solution.

A couple of years ago I gave my dad a flagpole for his birthday, I wish I hadn't because he puts all sorts of weird shit on it like Bonnie Blue and "Club Gitmo" flags and I'm sure everyone in the neighborhood thinks they are a bunch of weirdos.
    End of line.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being proud of your achievements and displaying them.

Blog Entries

You earned them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing them off.

I think it's a great idea. I certainly appreciate your service. It sounds like its something you want to do, and you should be very proud.

Talk to your wife and see if/why she is uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    I think it's a great idea. I certainly appreciate your service. It sounds like its something you want to do, and you should be very proud.
    +1
    Mark 8:36

Not that I'm trying to be a spoiled sport or anything - I've struggled with the same thoughts about hanging my stuff at work as well. I hate to leave the stuff in boxes, but... Momma said she's always worried they may be stolen, and she really wants to make sure my kids get my goodies..

I say hang a scant few of your nicest prizes. Much more than that always seemed to me to be a bit audacious - even when I saw it in an office where it was part of the decor. Most times I like to hang things that have a great or funny story behind them. I find it sparks some great conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Not that I'm trying to be a spoiled sport or anything - I've struggled with the same thoughts about hanging my stuff at work as well. I hate to leave the stuff in boxes, but... Momma said she's always worried they may be stolen, and she really wants to make sure my kids get my goodies..

I say hang a scant few of your nicest prizes. Much more than that always seemed to me to be a bit audacious - even when I saw it in an office where it was part of the decor. Most times I like to hang things that have a great or funny story behind them. I find it sparks some great conversations.
    Good point. The wife may just feel it won't fit into the decor. I'm sure she is proud of your accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post

This shouldn't be a worry for two reasons:
    1) What kind of lowlife would steal a military service award!? OK nevermind - on to reason two
    2) After someone has passed, these awards can be reissued to the next of kin. Veterans affairs can point you in the right direction, but you'll need a death certificate, birth certificate (of the person requesting), and your DD214 (which the VA can also help the next of kin aquire).

Don't let some scumbag theif deter you from displaying your awards - you earned em!

Quote Originally Posted by rball5 View Post
    This shouldn't be a worry for two reasons:
    1) What kind of lowlife would steal a military service award!? OK nevermind - on to reason two
    2) After someone has passed, these awards can be reissued to the next of kin. Veterans affairs can point you in the right direction, but you'll need a death certificate, birth certificate (of the person requesting), and your DD214 (which the VA can also help the next of kin aquire).

Don't let some scumbag theif deter you from displaying your awards - you earned em!
    I've got some things that are definitely irreplaceable and a pretty big temptation.

It sucks I can't leave them out - but she makes a good point. I'd much rather my kids get the goodies than a scumbag...

Certificates and medals are somewhat replaceable. Plaques and challenge coins are not easily replaced since they are usually custom jobs. Problem is, they just don't seem to do any good packed away in a box. If you don't drive a car, there's no chance of wrecking it, but why own the car?

She doesn't feel comfortable with the attention displayed military awards draw, finds them a bit gaudy, and relates veteran stuff with old people. That's all.

For a long time, pride in military service was completely dead. It's just now starting to return, but some are of an older mindset. Leftovers from the Vietnam era anti-war sentiment I think.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

I would display what your comfortable with displaying. Some of the more important awards and medals, Id probably leave displayed at home.
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    I would display what your comfortable with displaying. Some of the more important awards and medals, Id probably leave displayed at home.
    So I'm guessing you're still comfortable with that sig tag you're displaying?

Blog Entries

You might consider Printing off some pictures and hanging those up instead of the real thing.

The worst thing you can do is display political stuff. The second worst is your hero wall. Mine is as impressive as most, but I've found in 20 years of Dilbert zone, the military stuff takes away more than it contributes. We contributed, and we're a minority. Of those who didn't server, some could not, but far more than you know would not - I call em "Melvins". Even the Melvins who are grateful don't want their noses rubbed in it. More likely than not, Melvin is your boss.

I keep a USS Robert E Lee coffee cup on the shelf above my desk. I wear a miniature pair of submarine dolphins on my collar once a year.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

Quote Originally Posted by NullSmurf View Post
    The worst thing you can do is display political stuff. The second worst is your hero wall. Mine is as impressive as most, but I've found in 20 years of Dilbert zone, the military stuff takes away more than it contributes. We contributed, and we're a minority. Of those who didn't server, some could not, but far more than you know would not - I call em "Melvins". Even the Melvins who are grateful don't want their noses rubbed in it. More likely than not, Melvin is your boss.

I keep a USS Robert E Lee coffee cup on the shelf above my desk. I wear a miniature pair of submarine dolphins on my collar once a year.
    A very interesting take on things. It's sad that pride in military service has declined so. I worked here for quite a few years before putting anything but my pen holder plaque up, just in case. I figured that, plus finishing my degree, would reinforce the idea that I'm ready for a leadership position now that the Manager has been promoted to AVP. So far, I've had a pretty good response to the display. My bosses refer to it as "The War Museum". They're pretty good guys, so I'm lucky I guess. Reading about the "Veterans Pride Initiative" from the VA is what got me going on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    A very interesting take on things. It's sad that pride in military service has declined so. I worked here for quite a few years before putting anything but my pen holder plaque up, just in case. I figured that, plus finishing my degree, would reinforce the idea that I'm ready for a leadership position now that the Manager has been promoted to AVP. So far, I've had a pretty good response to the display. My bosses refer to it as "The War Museum". They're pretty good guys, so I'm lucky I guess. Reading about the "Veterans Pride Initiative" from the VA is what got me going on it.

I very much agree with what Bruce said. Seriously - you don't need to display your wares in order to be recognized. Those "things" you have in your possession were little reminders of the good things you were doing while you served - what you did to earn them is truly what should be on display. Do not display them because you want a promotion - instead, display the abilities you've learned on a day to day basis and be grateful the military taught you the kinds of things that set you apart from others.

Display your momentos because they mean something to you. You should look at them every day and be inspired by what it took to earn them. No one but you truly knows what you sacrificed - and you'll never be able to fully explain it with words.
    Last edited by ggiese; 08-19-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Thread Information