Thread: New Orleans... Proud to swim home

Default New Orleans... Proud to swim home

Greetings from the deep south! My name is Bo, but I go by Alcibiates on the internet most of the time, generally shorted to "Alci" Sadly, I respond to it in person, as well... Been using it for a number of years. I'm currently a freshman at University of New Orleans (yaya, I'm a young'un, I'm about to turn 19 on Sunday) I'm majoring in Medicinal Chemistry and plan on going to law school after being a pharmaceutical technician for a while to get some industry experience because I want to be a medical malpractice defense attorney, but I've always really hated lawyers that have no idea what they're talking about, so I'd rather not be one of those guys.

I just tried my first cigar last week, as an early birthday present to myself, and really loved it. I'm a bit of a nerd, so whenever I get interested in something I go running to the internet to read everything I can about it, but what I've read has been a bit all over the place, so I decided real discussion would be a lot better to learn, as well as good ol' fashion time.

From everything that I can tell, we have some really great shops in New Orleans. The one that I chose to go for my first smokes ages all of their tobacco for four years in house, then rolls everything in house (actually right in front of you! You walk past two long work benches to get to their humidor) and the second part of the humidor is where they're aging freshly rolled cigars. It seems really great, but their selection is a bit limited. Their prices seem pretty good, though, especially for what I feel like I'm getting. Individual cigars range from 6.00$ to 12.50$, but you get really great price breaks when you buy more: 30% for buying 10, and (I think) 43% for buying 25.

Anyways, I'm here to learn and will probably ask a lot of questions and ask for recommendations, as well as try to push home-town cigars on people in trades when I can spare the money to trade (college is not my wallet's friend.) Sadly I can't put a good shipping address in my profile right now because I'm still figuring out what my options are for having things shipped to school... I'll try to change it as soon as possible because I'm really interested in what kinds of unique smokes the rest of the country has!
    Last edited by Alcibiates; 09-19-2008 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiates View Post

I just tried my first cigar last week, as an early birthday present to myself, and really loved it. I'm a bit of a nerd, so whenever I get interested in something I go running to the internet to read everything I can about it, but what I've read has been a bit all over the place, so I decided real discussion would be a lot better to learn, as well as good ol' fashion time.
    That will happen...

Welcome from NY. There are loads of great information here(love the search button). This board has really helped me to stay on path with the hobby(addiction). Take a look at the newbie sampler thread in the "exchange" forums. That's a great way to sample a nice variety of smokes without emptying your college funds. Unfortunately, there are no student loans for cigars.

I'll second the Newbie trade. You will get hooked up with someone who will more than likely knock you socks off. Might want to use the search button for a cooler or somewhere else to keep all your smokes. Get something that is about 10 times bigger than you think you will need right now....in a matter of months it will be overflowing.

Also welcome from 60 miles west of ya.
    Believe Dat!

Thread Information