Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Ownership Update

Blog Entries

Default Discussion of Ownership Update

I just noticed that you can't comment on Announcement threads. Please use this thread to discuss.

Cigarsmokers.com Ownership Update

Due to circumstances outside our control, Jon and I have decided to terminate his purchase of Cigarsmokers.com. As a result ownership of Cigarsmokers.com as of today is returned to me. It's been a very hectic week for the two of us, and we have decided that it's in our best interest and the best interest of the Cigar Smokers community to amend our prior agreement.

We will keep you updated during the transfer process which unfortunately could take a few weeks to completely resolve due to ICANN domain transfer regulations.

I wish Jon the best of luck with his business endeavors, there are absolutely no hard feelings between us, we just felt this is right thing to do at this time.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

I may have missed something elsewhere...

If the sale is terminated, what transfer process will you be keeping us updated on?
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    I may have missed something elsewhere...

If the sale is terminated, what transfer process will you be keeping us updated on?
    There are still some details that Jon and I need to iron out, the biggest issue is the fact that the domain can't be transferred back to me until November, so we are working things out.

If anything comes up that has an affect on the community, I will let you guys know immediately.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

No offense, but I am sure glad. He seemed like a nice guy, but someone that would be more interested in profit than members.

Welcome Back Hex!!!!

Rich

Blog Entries

I certainly hope this post doesn't get misinterpreted.

I have stayed out of this entire situation, as to not complicate matters, and just to watch how everything unfolds. It now looks unfolded. So now I speak.

It seems like the sale deal was made with the best interest in mind for the members and moderators of cigarsmokers. Now that hex owns the site again, I guess I post this more out of concern than anything else. I have gained much from this community, and it's my intention to give back to a community that has given so much to me. Am I wrong in assuming the sale wasn't triggered by something? Is the site too costly to keep up? Can I make a donation? Help out in some way administratively? I believe in this site, and have had the opportunity to meet some really great people through here.

I just feel it's a responsible thing to ask. I hope no one takes offense or misinterprets my offer of assistance or help. I'm not looking to take over or suggest some crazy policy or anything, only assist in keeping this community the way it is, for the benefit of many.

Thanks for reading.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    There are still some details that Jon and I need to iron out, the biggest issue is the fact that the domain can't be transferred back to me until November, so we are working things out.

If anything comes up that has an affect on the community, I will let you guys know immediately.

Gotcha!

I will say that I'm somewhat relieved as well. Something disturbing about massive buy-ups like this, especially when all of the affected forums run under completely different policies.

I like how things are.... I fear change
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

7. Default

Definately for the best. Hey da klugs...I see you here reading. Is the status for Club Stogie unchanged? I'm wondering if the guy backed out of the whole deal.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Definately for the best. Hey da klugs...I see you here reading. Is the status for Club Stogie unchanged? I'm wondering if the guy backed out of the whole deal.
    Dave? Dave? Dave's not here...

Hope we didn't piss in your cornflakes, Hex.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

Good for Cigarsmokers since it seems that will make everybody happy. Plus it may even bring more members here from the other boards.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    Good for Cigarsmokers since it seems that will make everybody happy. Plus it may even bring more members here from the other boards.
    I've said it once and I'll say it again...Asshats need not apply.

Dunno. We are mushrooms at the moment. I lack the intellectual horsepower to understand the vision in buying all 3. Or maybe, better put, am challenged by having at least a superficial understanding of each.

Sorry for the unintended swipe. We live in interesting times.
    Mean people suck. Stupid people? Just ignore them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    Isn't it time to feed the sheep. I'm sure you're missed........somewhere else, not here.

Good to see csmokers off that list of asshat boards. Thanks Hex!
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Blog Entries

I'm glad. I echo much of what Mark said above.......how can we help relieve whatever it is that made this a good thing for you and the community?

We don't need any more moderators though........
    Last edited by ashauler; 10-08-2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: I'm a dipshit...

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    I certainly hope this post doesn't get misinterpreted.

I have stayed out of this entire situation, as to not complicate matters, and just to watch how everything unfolds. It now looks unfolded. So now I speak.

It seems like the sale deal was made with the best interest in mind for the members and moderators of cigarsmokers. Now that hex owns the site again, I guess I post this more out of concern than anything else. I have gained much from this community, and it's my intention to give back to a community that has given so much to me. Am I wrong in assuming the sale wasn't triggered by something? Is the site too costly to keep up? Can I make a donation? Help out in some way administratively? I believe in this site, and have had the opportunity to meet some really great people through here.

I just feel it's a responsible thing to ask. I hope no one takes offense or misinterprets my offer of assistance or help. I'm not looking to take over or suggest some crazy policy or anything, only assist in keeping this community the way it is, for the benefit of many.

Thanks for reading.
    I don't think this is an inappropriate question - it's not unheard of for financial support for boards to come from members. And, that way it stays member-owned/member-operated.

I for one am damn glad CSmokers is off the block.
    Last edited by basil; 10-07-2008 at 03:32 PM.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I don't think this is an inappropriate question - it's not unheard of for financial support for boards to come from members. And, that way it stays member-owned/member-operated.

There you go. Let's do it. A Cigar Smokers Consortium. We could elect officers and be on-line in a just few days.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post

Amen. I would be more than happy to donate. I'm a member of 2 other boards that I have donated.

It was mentioned that (under Jon's rule) the board would stay free with possibly a "members only" section. I don't see how a members only section would be beneficial here. But here's some things that could be upgraded for a paying member.

Avatar Size: offer a larger size
    Gallery Space: more space
    Profile Picture: we have one now, but make it for only paying members.
    Private Message Storage: Larger PM storage
    @cigarsmokers.com E-mail Address: nifty!
    Attach Images To Posts: only to paying members
    Colored Username: special color for donating members
    Invisible Browsing: only for paying members
    Search Members: this may keep spammers from copying all the names and mass PM'ing

Just something to consider. I wouldn't hesitate to donate with no extra privilages, but these might be somethings that would push a new member to donate.

I've said it once and I'll say it again...Asshats need not apply.
    Oh, Ken... Be careful - Lax-tuff was here before you!!!

I stayed out of the conversation for two reasons... I'm all new-like and I didn't want to say anything that'd make Hex regret his decision (thanks for the great forum!).

I've been a member of a few motorcycle boards that got bought up (in a very similar fashion - 5 or more at a time) and those boards were ruined within a year. Same story on those boards "I'm an avid motorcyclist", "This is my passion", etc. I'm sorry this didn't work out for you financially, but I'm glad the countdown to destruction has been stopped.

By the way, is he going to restore your banner or do you have to wait till you've got control again? It looks so plain up there.

It'll be intersting to see if Jon ever logs in again now that he doesn't have an investment to check-up on

Thread Information