Thread: noob intro & question...

Default noob intro & question...

Just wanted to poke my head in and introduce myself. I'm relatively new to cigars (just started smokin em about a month ago), but I've been visiting this site for long enough now that I thought I'd finally register and join the community. I can't believe the wealth of information you guys have given me in getting started on my "cigar education". Thanks guys.

Onto my actual question...

So after trying out a decent number of cigars, I have been finding that my favorite so far (regardless of price) are the paper wrapped EL REY DEL MUNDOs. Specifically the rectangulares. They just seem to taste so much better in this vitola. I was wondering what other cigars out there share a similar flavor profile with these guys, regardless of price.

I've been told that the ERdMs (I think that's the correct shorthand) are very similar to the classic taste of cubans, however I don't see myself gaining access to those anytime soon. If you know of any non-cubans that taste similar please let me know. I guess if you guys know of any cubans that DO taste similar that info could come in handy later on down the road, but right now I'm a little more interested in knowing about the ones I can find this week.

Thanks for your help guys,
    SAB

Blog Entries

I like the ERDM's as well, although the Robusto Largas and some other tissue-wrapped maduro are the only vitolas available to me locally. I, too, enjoy thier taste.

I would suggest maybe looking at some other Honduran cigars, although you can't religiously depend on that. Maybe something in the line of a Excalibur 1066 Dark Knight, a Sancho Panza XF, Saint Luis Rey Serie G or a Punch Rare Corojo. Just a thought.

Welcome to the board from central Oregon.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

All of mrtr33's suggestions were on my list. But here are a few more you may like.
    Carlos Torano Exodus and Virtuoso
    5 Vegas series A
    Indian Tobac Fire
    Gurkha Fuerte and Black Puro
    Ramones Allones
    Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve and Vintage
    Montecristo Afrique

There are so many others. You should go to any cigar shop site and just search for med-full bodied cigars and see whats out there(med-full is a "strength" not a range). And I'm pretty sure Cigars International has a comparison shopper feature. So you can put in El Rey and find similar cigars.

Happy hunting and welcome from NY.

The regular Sancho Panza line is actually the closest I've found, but then I probably haven't had the opportunity (or funds) to try out too many others.

The taste I think I'm really after is that leathery/earthy taste that makes me just wanna take a bite out of the stick. The rect. vitola definitely has more of this than the robusto larga, etc... I think it's b/c of the smaller guage. Def. try to get your hands on some. Hell, when things around me calm down, maybe I'll find time to go to the post office and mail you one (I just bought my first box, and of course its the ERdM rectangulares. Never done the mailing thing though, so I'm a little nervous stepping into new waters).

I did also just pick up one of those EF Sancho Panzas recently, just haven't gotten a chance to try it yet.

Thanks for the suggestions, mrtr33 and logan.

P.S. Logan, do you have any suggestions based on the "strong leathery/earthy" descriptions? I was suggested the Pepin blue label, which was a great smoke, just not leathery enough for what I'm looking for.

Thanks again guys.
    SAB

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board....I like ERdM's also.....go here: http://www.cigarsmokers.com/t9744-th...ew-series.html these two provide wonderful reviews, you might find something to try here as well as elsewhere in the review section.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Ash Bastard View Post
    The regular Sancho Panza line is actually the closest I've found, but then I probably haven't had the opportunity (or funds) to try out too many others.

The taste I think I'm really after is that leathery/earthy taste that makes me just wanna take a bite out of the stick. The rect. vitola definitely has more of this than the robusto larga, etc... I think it's b/c of the smaller guage. Def. try to get your hands on some. Hell, when things around me calm down, maybe I'll find time to go to the post office and mail you one (I just bought my first box, and of course its the ERdM rectangulares. Never done the mailing thing though, so I'm a little nervous stepping into new waters).

I did also just pick up one of those EF Sancho Panzas recently, just haven't gotten a chance to try it yet.

Thanks for the suggestions, mrtr33 and logan.

P.S. Logan, do you have any suggestions based on the "strong leathery/earthy" descriptions? I was suggested the Pepin blue label, which was a great smoke, just not leathery enough for what I'm looking for.

Thanks again guys.
    SAB
    I've never smoked anything with a very strong leathery taste. I've only really gotten any hint of leather from the scent of the smoke produced. I would imagine that "oilier" cigars would give this taste. But I'm not sure. Cigars International does have a comparison shopper. similar cigars to El Rey Del Mundo.

The best advice I can give you about this is don't limit yourself to a "flavor" that you know you like. There are millions of different cigars out there, all with distinct tastes and feels. The best part is trying them all, or at least trying to try them all. Go to some online shops and buy samplers. Better yet, head over to the newbie sampler thread in the exchange forum.

On a side note, I did a little research about oily cigars and found this. Interesting stuff. Who knows, it might just be some Padron propaganda.

Thread Information