Thread: monte plats

Default monte plats

i've had three MC platinums. two of them were way darker under the band than the rest of the stick. they were all from different shops, as well. anyone know why?

We were talking about sunlight exposure in one of the other threads... Maybe it has been bleached a little bit? *shrug*
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roham
    We were talking about sunlight exposure in one of the other threads... Maybe it has been bleached a little bit? *shrug*
    No, I highly doubt it has anything to do with exposure to sunlight The color of cigar wrapper varies from box to box for the same cigar. When they "sort" cigars, they try to find colors that do not vary between each cigar for that particular box so that they look the same to the customer when he purchases a box..

I've seen two boxes of San Cristobal de la Habana, El Morro with the same box code obtained from the seller that had completely different color wrappers. One box they looked almost green, the other box they were a nice, medium brown.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Default Yes CC, QUITE true, but.........

Drake is concerned about the particular area under the band being darker that the rest of the cigar.

In a local shop (actually many), I have noticed that sunlight enters a display case or two or three or.... for a time of the day. Not blazing full sun into the whole case, but enough that a box or two gets hit throughout the day.

I tend to notice this at shops I patronize ever since I once bought a handful of RyJ's that tasted dry, almost stale. The dealer was reputable but upon returning to the shop I noticed that the display case that the RyJ's were in got hit by sunlight a bit. In particular the ones I bought. Sunlight can elevate the cigar's temperature and cause it to release water, drying it a bit. A brief stay in my humidor recovered the cigars OK enough for me.

Considering that Monte Platinums are a higher priced smoke I think that they may have spent more time in the display case at Drake's particular shop and MAYBE they got hit regularly by sunlight enouogh to cause a bit of fading??????????

On the other hand, does tobacco fade just from exposure to air? Did the band slow this fading from the air? That one I don't know.

Complain to your dealer????? That's a slightly tough one. Do the cigars taste OK? If they do, I wouldn't worry. I don't like to complain at a shop unless absolutely necessary. I makes for a bad relationship with your tobacco pusher....er.....dealer.

Blog Entries

Ah, thanks for pointing that out MMAB, I completely missed that, sorry about that

Since the wrapper is darker under the band then I would say you and Roham are correct.

I must brush up on my reading comprehension skills

Oh and MMAB, as far as the color of the wrapper changing from exposure to air or just plain changing color over time, that's an interesting question. I'm fairly certain that generally does not happen (how's THAT for a non-committal answer ) but I cannot say for sure.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 06-16-2005 at 01:57 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information