Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cigar smoker stereotype

Default The cigar smoker stereotype

I just wondered if anyone had any views or opinions on this. By visiting many American cigar forums (of which this is the best, obviously!) I've noticed that there are many cigar smokers of quite a young age, by this I mean around 18- 25. Over here in England, there seems to be a stereotype of cigar smokers as being either older men or rich business executives and high power 'city slickers'. Cigars over here just don't seem as popular with regular working class people. I don't know anyone else my age (23) who smokes cigars, and if I were to smoke a cigar bigger than corona size in public, i would be considered a freak, and get some very funny looks. Which is why I smoke privately ion my back yard. It seems to me that these stereotypes don't apply in the US and that younger people who are into cigars is less of a big deal, and you guys seems more chilled out about it.
    I'm sure people think i'm smoking a cigar to look like a gangster or a movie star or something, people just don't understand that regular blue collar workers can enjoy cigars.
    I was actually born in California, but moved over here when I was 2.......I think its time I moved back!!
    I just thought this might be an interesting talking point as to why such stereotypes exist etc.

I think the stereo type exists here in Canada too, to an extent. None of my friends smoked cigars except one(And he is the richest out of us hehe). Now that I have started a few of them are slowly following suit. But you don't see many people smoking them either, at bars and stuff. And when ever I smoke one of my big stogies in public I feel the same way as you describe, like everyone is looking at me.Although the stereo type sounds way worse for you over there. I think the stereo type is partially true, and what we might be seeing(all the young members on the board) is another cigar boom, but I don't think that really changes the cigar smokers stereo type.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

I would agree that there still is a stereotype here...I am 34 and still get looks when smoking bigger stogies like you have both described, but there is a growing number of younger smokers as I have seen from the clients and staff of my local shops. Of course here in San Antonio, we also have local anti smoking laws that don't allow smoking in establishments that sell food unless they have completely different rooms available for smokers...which a lot of them don't...so really I end up smoking mostly at home or outdoor functions.

I would say here the anti smoking stigma is worse than any stereotypes of cigar smokers as far as interupting my enjoyment of smoking cigars.

Until I started posting here and the other board I frequent, I always thought the majority of cigars smokers were older men that had money. I quickly found out that most here are around my age (29) and just your average guy or gal not unlike me. Most people have hobbies that they sink thier extra money into, it seems that cigars are just one of those hobbies rather than something you have to be rich to enjoy.

5. Default

heh, I'm only 19 and I smoke cigars. No one else I know my age smokes cigars (alot of cigarette smokers though, which I hate ). I get stares in public when I smoke cigars especially since I smoke larger cigars like Churchills and Double Coronas. But it doesn't matter to me, I don't care what some stranger thinks about my hobby.

Default True....

I think the stereotype is still here in the USA but not as strong as it was when I was a kid. When I was a kid you would NEVER see a younger guy smoking a large gauge cigar.

Now, when I visit the shops around here I often see the 18-25 group there buying smokes.

Times change!

I still feel uncomfortable lighting up in a restaurant or bar, simply because other people tend to subscribe to that "stinky cigar" stereotype. I'm 23 and still have yet to see anyone within 10 years of my age at the local shop. I like to think of myself as a man of wealth and taste, well maybe taste...
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon
    Until I started posting here and the other board I frequent, I always thought the majority of cigars smokers were older men that had money.

They probably are. They just have better things to do then hang out here Or they know as much as they need to know about cigars so coming here for information isn't their idea of fun
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Thanks for the replies guys, some interesting points there. I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling a bit 'weird' when smoking a larger guage cigar in public. My friends are all used to seeing me smoking cigars now, I think they're all kinda intrigued by it. I agree with you, Puff, that its just a hobby that you sink your cash into, It's just a shame many people don't understand the 'collectors' side of cigars as a hobby, and the appreciation of how the cigars are made and different flavour profiles etc.

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighterUK
    I just wondered if anyone had any views or opinions on this. By visiting many American cigar forums (of which this is the best, obviously!) I've noticed that there are many cigar smokers of quite a young age, by this I mean around 18- 25. Over here in England, there seems to be a stereotype of cigar smokers as being either older men or rich business executives and high power 'city slickers'. Cigars over here just don't seem as popular with regular working class people. I don't know anyone else my age (23) who smokes cigars, and if I were to smoke a cigar bigger than corona size in public, i would be considered a freak, and get some very funny looks. Which is why I smoke privately ion my back yard. It seems to me that these stereotypes don't apply in the US and that younger people who are into cigars is less of a big deal, and you guys seems more chilled out about it.
    I'm sure people think i'm smoking a cigar to look like a gangster or a movie star or something, people just don't understand that regular blue collar workers can enjoy cigars.
    I was actually born in California, but moved over here when I was 2.......I think its time I moved back!!
    I just thought this might be an interesting talking point as to why such stereotypes exist etc.

The old stereotype might be something along the lines of old, wealthy, and somewhat of an elitist. Obviously, cigars have a wide range of appeal these days. If you look in copies of CA, you see "regular guys" lighting up at wedding parties, football pre-game festivities, and that kind of thing. I never thought about it in class terms before, but then again, I know people who make about as much as I do who say: "Oh, I could never afford those!." Of course, they can afford enough beer to drown an entire tavern and who blow their money fixing up cars. To each their own I guess. I know folks who won't smoke anything more than Havana Honeys or black & milds. You have to pity the poor souls.

Cool

Smoking cigars is along the same lines as enjoying gourmet foods, fine wines, and artesian beers. Trying foreign delicacies and experiencing foreign cultures. It's a matter of quality, not quantity for us. The unique and quantifiable relaxing experience and not the quick nicotine fix. Some folks enjoy eating and smoking the same bland things over and over again, while some have an adventurous palate. Cigars are for the adventurous! The connoisseurs of unique and exciting flavors and experiences!

Quote Originally Posted by 8-5-8
    I still feel uncomfortable lighting up in a restaurant or bar, simply because other people tend to subscribe to that "stinky cigar" stereotype.
    I agree with that, though I don't feel uncomfortable. It seems that lots of people, even cigarette smokers, find it rude when someone lights up a cigar in public because of this "stinky cigar" mindset.

Personally, I don't care. I'll go to Starbucks (the evil empire) and fire up Dbl Corona anytime. My position has always been, if cigarette smoking is "acceptable" somewhere, then cigar smoking should be just as "acceptable."

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

Strangely enough, many establishments support this mindset by not allowing pipes and cigars, but allowing cigarettes! How does this work?

At any rate, there's not much to be done about it. Smoking a cigar in an unfreindly environment is counter-productive anyway. The point is to relax, and you can't do that while feeling uncomfortable.

well cigar smoke tends to penetrate more than cigarettes do. i think that is the main reason why places allow them and not cigars. within the past 3 weeks i have tried 2 cigarettes, which i didn't really care for but it was more of a quick social thing. anyways, the smell stayed on me alot less time than my cigars do.

but back to the stereotypes, when i think of someone cigar somking, i usually think of Ron White with his class of scotch. besides me, my friend, and someone in my sister's class (2 years younger than me) i have never seen anyone within 5 years of my age smoke a stogie. course i also don't get out that often.

Both your posts are top notch Kyneth!!! I agree completely

Quote Originally Posted by mithril
    within the past 3 weeks i have tried 2 cigarettes, which i didn't really care for but it was more of a quick social thing.

Even in a social setting, cigarettes SUCK! Stay away from them Nasty habit

17. Default

There had alays been an ongoing sterotype of the older, richer, CEO type that sits and drinks their brandy while puffing a cigar,and thats all I ever saw untill now. I don't really see alot of people smoking cigars though, and when I do it's the AHEM- captin blacks, and colts. It a bit of a lost art, and that is a good thing because not only does it remain somewhat sacred of a hobby, decadence (you name it) but it allows the new populous of cigar smokers to take it up again and re-introduce this fine art into society again with maybe a new perspective on it.

In the US at least, marketing has always been focused on cigarrettes. It's the only thing our country produces, so it only makes sense that domestic product dominates the market. Add that to the fact that domestic tobacco is cheap, people are biased against cigar smoking, and that cigarettes provide an almost instant fix of nicotine, and you can see why few ever take up cigar smoking. Our companies do make some low quality cigars and flavored cigars, nothing of the calibre of hand rolled, long filler artesian beauties though.

Artesian products are making a bit of a comeback though! People are starting to enjoy things like fine wines, various styles of fine beers, and good food. I don't know what started the trend, but I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Roham
    Both your posts are top notch Kyneth!!! I agree completely

Thank you for your kind words!

20. Default

Yeah but everything comes back some day. It's up to us now to keep it going. this was probably a big baby boomer thing... Fine foods will always be around, it's the people that enjoy it that we have to keep alive.

Thread Information