Thread: humidor issue

Default humidor issue

I bought a humidor a while back and I seasoned it and it kept around 60-65% for a few months. Since last month, it didn't go over 50% no matter what I tried. I took out all the cigars and seasoned it again. I also bought silicon and made sure all the glass panels were sealed. I bought beads and placed it in the humidor (after the silicon dried and after seasoning it).
    But, the hydrometer still reads about 50%. I did salt test it and adjusted it.
    I also checked for leaks using the bill method and it was fine.
    I'm not sure what can be wrong. :(

Blog Entries

where do you live? it's probably just because it is winter and the air is dryer. Try putting it in a cooler.

In Poland. It is cold and snowy outside right now so it could be dry, but is there any other way around this?
    If its closed, shouldn't the humidity stay the same?
    unless the hydrometer isn't working very good...
    Last edited by westb182; 01-16-2009 at 06:34 AM.

Is it a digital hydrometer? Those analog ones that come with humidors aren't very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    Is it a digital hydrometer? Those analog ones that come with humidors aren't very accurate.
    it's a analog one

That's most likely your problem. Pick up a digital one, calibrate it, and you should be good to go.

If your cigars feel and smoke fine, then your Rh is probably fine. The condition of your cigars is really the best way to tell if the Rh is good. Hydrometers only give peace of mind IMO. But if you want a meter, go digital. But keep in mind most of them are "off" by x%. You'll have to remember how off it is and add or subtract that from the read out.

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    That's most likely your problem. Pick up a digital one, calibrate it, and you should be good to go.

If your cigars feel and smoke fine, then your Rh is probably fine. The condition of your cigars is really the best way to tell if the Rh is good. Hydrometers only give peace of mind IMO. But if you want a meter, go digital. But keep in mind most of them are "off" by x%. You'll have to remember how off it is and add or subtract that from the read out.
    Hmm OK.
    Now its reading about 38%

Blog Entries

Really sounds like the seal isn't there. The dollar bill test doesn't indicate a seal in low RH winter conditions IMHO.

I'm not sure what kind of humi you have, but with my desktop humidor, I'll put a heavy book on top (lid) to help the seal work in the wintertime (MRN is perfect for this). I only have to do this in the wintertime. If I forget to put the book back on, then the RH will drop.

Note that if your humi's RH really is 38% or was 50%, it'll take a few days to get to about 64%, but each % of RH after that will take a week or so.

The best long-term solution is probably active humidification, e.g., a CigarOasis or Hydra.

Good luck!
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Really sounds like the seal isn't there. The dollar bill test doesn't indicate a seal in low RH winter conditions IMHO.

I'm not sure what kind of humi you have, but with my desktop humidor, I'll put a heavy book on top (lid) to help the seal work in the wintertime (MRN is perfect for this). I only have to do this in the wintertime. If I forget to put the book back on, then the RH will drop.

Note that if your humi's RH really is 38% or was 50%, it'll take a few days to get to about 64%, but each % of RH after that will take a week or so.

The best long-term solution is probably active humidification, e.g., a CigarOasis or Hydra.

Good luck!
    OK
    I went ahead and sealed off the space behind the hydrometer and also the wood used in the top lid seal.
    These photos below show my humidor and the sealing. I used aquarium silicon. No smell, just its black color (pet store only had that). You can see that the 3 pieces of glass are sealed off. I'm letting it dry for the night and will try it again tomorrow. Should I season it at that point?
    Also, there are the beads in the bottom left corner. The RH in the apartment was about 20-24%. and about 72-4F. The digital hydrometer shows 40%, the analog one about 37-8% (Don't mind the photo readout, that was taken earlier). The digital one is my little weather station unit.

Blog Entries

Ah!
    1. Nice humi!
    2. Get those cigars into ziplocks!!!
    3. the Xikar stuff is super-absorbant-polymer gel. Nothing wrong with SAP, but that isn't enough SAP for that humi IMHO. I would use at least another jar.
    4. As I presume you don't have a fan going in there (like an Oust fan), the jar has to be in the tray. As a general rule, active humidification goes on the bottom, passive humidification goes at the top.
    5. The humi looks to be veneer, and you've sealed all the glass, so full seasoning is not needed. However, the protruding lip on the lid (see black arrow in pic) does need to have sufficient moisture to expand. A very even wipedown with distilled water is needed. Too much and you'll have to pry the humi open the first time.
    6. Does the hygro have a clear gasket around it (see arrow in pic). I've seen these clear gaskets get misaligned and not seal all the way around.
    7. Finally, if the book/weight idea doesn't work, a thin rubber seal (see green line in pic) will do the trick. I use closed-cell neoprene rubber weatherstripping tape found at a home improvement store, but anything similar will work. Get the thinnest possible, usually 1.5mm (3mm max). The problem area is usually between the two hinges at the back, but you might as well go all the way around. You may need to put a book on top to get things to seat.

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4415_crop.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4410_crop.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	939  
    Last edited by craig; 01-16-2009 at 11:26 PM.
    Craig

Thanks
    Browsing around the forum, I saw another poster use masking tape for the seal. I just tried it and it requires quite a lot of strength to open it. I think that will be a good seal for the winter time :) I might also trim it a bit so its a tad easier. At least it will keep other people from opening it up...
    I don't see a gasket on the hydrometer. Maybe there was one before I sealed it up
    Out here I am very limited to what I can order. I can get either another jar of the same stuff or
    http://www.sklep-tytoniowy.abc24.pl/...914&pro=350603
    It's basically the same thing, same amount as in the jar (they both say 150ct), and at 8PLN (about 3USD) it's a very good price.
    Or I can get another jar for 20PLN (7USD)
    But if I got 2 more bags of the crystals with the jar placed around the humidor I think that should be plenty.
    I also got the original humidifier that came with the unit. I can use that + jar.
    But, if I place the jar(s) on top, would that cause any other issues? If I got a bag or 2 extra of the crystals, where should I place them?
    I placed the cigars in a baggie and thanks for your comments!
    Last edited by westb182; 01-16-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Blog Entries

I'd just put the jar in the tray.

For the SAP, just get the bulk stuff and put it in your own container - a small bowl or jar, anything! You can also open up the original humi (green foam inside, I'm guessing) and use that to hold the SAP ...

Just remember that you have to use PG 50/50 solution with SAP
    Craig

So I got the crystals in today..
    First look at the tiny baggy they came in I thought good thing I bought 3 bags.
    Emptied 1 bag into a bowl and used some PG...
    Damn those things soak up a lot!

So I placed a small bowel in the humidor in addition to redoing the humidifier and also I had a few davidoff tubes lying around and I made them into some small humidifiers as they have a opening already. That way I can place it on the top shelf and it will look nicer.

After a few hours its at 58%. Hopefuly at this rate, it won't take long to get to 65%

Ok a bit over a week later...
    I tested different parts of my humidor with the hydrometer I salt tested twice and got the same correction % both times. The lower part (where I keep my cigars that won't be smoked for awhile) is about 62%RH. The top shelf is about 69-70%RH (which is where I keep the ones I will smoke soon).
    Is that good?

Quote Originally Posted by westb182 View Post
    Ok a bit over a week later...
    I tested different parts of my humidor with the hydrometer I salt tested twice and got the same correction % both times. The lower part (where I keep my cigars that won't be smoked for awhile) is about 62%RH. The top shelf is about 69-70%RH (which is where I keep the ones I will smoke soon).
    Is that good?
    You probably want the reverse. Certain websites state that a higher (67-70) RH is better for aging and will not smoke as well as a cigar that has been kept in the 64-66 RH range. Certain smoking differences include how well it burns, how the draw is, etc.

Hmm that will be difficult as there is no room to do it in reverse.
    I will see after a week or so what the RH will be at.

Thread Information