Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cigars similar in taste to the Fuente Short Story>

Question Cigars similar in taste to the Fuente Short Story?

Hi guys, I'm about a year into cigar smoking, and the A. Fuente Hemingway Short Story is by far my favorite cigar in that price range. I really love the taste but I can't seem to find that taste anywhere else, even within the Hemingway line. Apparently from what I've read, it isn't a true Hemingway, it has a different blend, it's just under that name.
    So can anyone help me find a larger cigar with the same taste or similar taste as the Short Story? Thanks for your time.

EDIT: I found the article that say the Short Story is not actually a Hemingway- http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...47,251,00.html

"Soon after that, the Fuentes released the Short Story, which has the distinctive Hemingway shape, but is not a Hemingway, said Wayne Suarez, a Fuente executive."
    Last edited by Dan; 01-26-2009 at 11:31 PM.

2. Default

Best Seller is the same blend and a tad bit larger. Try a smaller size in the Partagas line for a nice cameroon wrapped smoke. If you want the ultimate cameroon cigar try a LaAuroro preferidios #1
    The older I get ,the better I was

Kinda hard to find a similar cigar to the Short Story. Some say, vitola size, shape, and so forth changes the smoking experience.

So, even though all Hemingway lines are made with the same filler, wrapper and so forth, you will the get the same smoking experience with a Short Story compared to a Classic.

Trust me, there are plenty of enjoyable smokes out there, especially Cameroon wrapped ones. You just happen to choose the one that is produced in limited quantities.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyCold5 View Post
    Kinda hard to find a similar cigar to the Short Story. Some say, vitola size, shape, and so forth changes the smoking experience.

So, even though all Hemingway lines are made with the same filler, wrapper and so forth, you will the get the same smoking experience with a Short Story compared to a Classic.

Trust me, there are plenty of enjoyable smokes out there, especially Cameroon wrapped ones. You just happen to choose the one that is produced in limited quantities.

Andrew
    That's not true. I read an article from Fuente somewhere that said there were only 3 true Hemingway's. and that the others had different components to them.

I keep both Short Stories and Oliva Special G's on hand and regularly switch between them when I'm short on time. They are identical vitolas and both good cigars. The Hemingway of course has the earthiness of aging and cost's double the Special G. But, the Special G is still a very good cigar, near perfect burn, and qualities associated with Oliva. Also, the Special G is available as a maduro.

As far as taste alone, I think the Short Story is not too different than other Hemingways. It's smaller ring guage burns hotter and changes the flavors a bit. I buy them by the box from the local Smoke Shop for $100. Never paid less though, they are limited.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    I keep both Short Stories and Oliva Special G's on hand and regularly switch between them when I'm short on time. They are identical vitolas and both good cigars. The Hemingway of course has the earthiness of aging and cost's double the Special G. But, the Special G is still a very good cigar, near perfect burn, and qualities associated with Oliva. Also, the Special G is available as a maduro.

As far as taste alone, I think the Short Story is not too different than other Hemingways. It's smaller ring guage burns hotter and changes the flavors a bit. I buy them by the box from the local Smoke Shop for $100. Never paid less though, they are limited.
    I had a Oliva G maduro/robusto I recently won from a cigar raffle, so I after I read your post I lit it up and it does have a similar leathery taste, it just lacks a little bit of the earthiness, but this is the closest I've found to the short story. Is there a difference between a Oliva G Robusto and an Oliva Special G, or is it just a size difference?
    Thanks a lot man.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    That's not true. I read an article from Fuente somewhere that said there were only 3 true Hemingway's. and that the others had different components to them.
    Well, there are more than 3 Hemingways, and they all look pretty real to me. http://www.vitolas.net/displayimage.php?album=35&pos=7

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Well, there are more than 3 Hemingways, and they all look pretty real to me. http://www.vitolas.net/displayimage.php?album=35&pos=7
    By true, or real, I meant have the original Hemingway formula. The others, including the SHort Story have a different blend of tobacco.

Blog Entries

By true, or real, I meant have the original Hemingway formula. The others, including the SHort Story have a different blend of tobacco.
    So, show us where Fuente says they are different blends. I've never heard this, nor have I ever read it anywhere. If they don't have the same flavor profile to you, that's fine, taste is after all subjective. To say they are blended with different tobacco is another matter entirely.

Blog Entries

I would ask you this... If Fuente labels them and sells them under the Hemingway name... What would you call them??

A Hemingway "Work of Art", is as much a Hemingway as a Hemingway "Between the Lines".
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Where are you getting this information from? In my research the blend is the same in all the hemingway cigars. To my understanding there is a specific "hemingway" blend of long filler tobacco. The only difference is the amount used for each size.

I found this interview from C.A. with Carlos Fuente Jr. (from 2005)

CA: You mentioned blending. Can you talk about how different sizes in a brand have different flavors?
    Carlos Fuente: I don't blend a gran panetela the same way I would blend a double corona. They would be the same tobaccos but in different proportions. With different dimensions and different lengths, you get different cigars. Cigar making is probably the most difficult craft in the world. In the wine industry, you have a crop of grapes, you ferment them, and you mix liquids together and it becomes uniform. With cigars, you're blending solids. That's where it takes not only know-how, but also art. You're blending sometimes as many as five, six, seven different flavors together. I like to refer to them as herbs and spices. The Fuente line is extensive, and that's because it evolved. In Nicaragua, we made a certain type of cigar. Before the Cuban embargo, we made a certain type of cigar. When we moved to the Dominican Republic, a lot of the people wanted them milder. And little by little we toned them down. Around 1982, we started adjusting it back up, and we introduced the Chateau Fuente line.
    Last edited by logan37; 01-25-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: found interview

I had a Oliva G maduro/robusto I recently won from a cigar raffle, so I after I read your post I lit it up and it does have a similar leathery taste, it just lacks a little bit of the earthiness, but this is the closest I've found to the short story. Is there a difference between a Oliva G Robusto and an Oliva Special G, or is it just a size difference?
    Thanks a lot man.
    Well a robusto is going to be around 50-52 ring guage and the little Special G is probably around 46 at the widest part of the body. Also, I don't care for the Special G maduro, they do not taste like the Short Story at all. Try a natural Special G. At around $2.50 you can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    Where are you getting this information from? In my research the blend is the same in all the hemingway cigars. To my understanding there is a specific "hemingway" blend of long filler tobacco. The only difference is the amount used for each size.

I found this interview from C.A. with Carlos Fuente Jr. (from 2005)

CA: You mentioned blending. Can you talk about how different sizes in a brand have different flavors?
    Carlos Fuente: I don't blend a gran panetela the same way I would blend a double corona. They would be the same tobaccos but in different proportions. With different dimensions and different lengths, you get different cigars. Cigar making is probably the most difficult craft in the world. In the wine industry, you have a crop of grapes, you ferment them, and you mix liquids together and it becomes uniform. With cigars, you're blending solids. That's where it takes not only know-how, but also art. You're blending sometimes as many as five, six, seven different flavors together. I like to refer to them as herbs and spices. The Fuente line is extensive, and that's because it evolved. In Nicaragua, we made a certain type of cigar. Before the Cuban embargo, we made a certain type of cigar. When we moved to the Dominican Republic, a lot of the people wanted them milder. And little by little we toned them down. Around 1982, we started adjusting it back up, and we introduced the Chateau Fuente line.
    There you go, just read the text I bolded. I don't know where the article I mentioned is online but I found the piece of paper I wrote the note down on, because it made everything make sense to me about the taste differences. But the interview you posted proves my point. Carlos Fuente says it right there, that he uses "different proportions" in different sized cigars, which therefore gives you a different tasting blend.

All you have to do is take the filler from a short story, and the filler from a Hemingway classic, and smoke them each out of a pipe. That's what I did when I first became confused about the taste differences. I knew the size or outer leaf could effect the taste, so when I was trying to understand why they tasted different, I took them to the pipe. Try it yourself, you'll notice that the tastes are quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Well a robusto is going to be around 50-52 ring guage and the little Special G is probably around 46 at the widest part of the body. Also, I don't care for the Special G maduro, they do not taste like the Short Story at all. Try a natural Special G. At around $2.50 you can't go wrong.
    I know, it just was the closest I had come so far, it's just that the minute I taste that smooth leathery taste I think short story. I'll pick up a natural special g the next time I'm at the smoke shop.
    Last edited by Dan; 01-25-2009 at 02:27 PM.

It doesn't prove your point. The tobacco blend used in every single Hemingway is the same. The proportions of each particular tobacco, in the blend, is slightly different in each size.

I think you're misusing the word "blend" as it's used in cigar terms. Blend is the combination of tobaccos used in the filler of a cigar. Every single line of cigars has the same blend of tobacco within that line. The proportions vary in each size of that line, but the blend is the same. i.e. every single A.F. Hemingway cigar has the same blend used in them, every single Don Lino Africa cigar has the same blend used in them, so on and so forth.

All A.F. Hemingways are "true" Hemingways.

It doesn't prove your point. The tobacco blend used in every single Hemingway is the same. The proportions of each particular tobacco, in the blend, is slightly different in each size.

I think you're misusing the word "blend" as it's used in cigar terms. Blend is the combination of tobaccos used in the filler of a cigar. Every single line of cigars has the same blend of tobacco within that line. The proportions vary in each size of that line, but the blend is the same. i.e. every single A.F. Hemingway cigar has the same blend used in them, every single Don Lino Africa cigar has the same blend used in them, so on and so forth.

I see that's where we're having some confusion. I'm using the term "blend" as it pertains to cooking because I'm a hobby-chef. Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that a Short Story's filler has a different taste to it. As far as the "true Hemingway" comment, I'm just posting what I've read.

16. Default

And people still wonder why I hate fucking retarded newbies.
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    I believe they now prefer to be called "Informationally Challenged Newcomers"
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

That's right, and while we're talking proportions don't forget the binder and wrapper which also affect the flavors. Example, a Short Story is a 48 ring guage and a Masterpiece is a 52. Taking a cross section of each cigar, the Short Story would actually have a higher percentage of wrapper to filler than the Masterpiece. Therefore you would be tasting more wrapper with the Short Story. If you continue to shrink the size, the wrapper would increase in proportion to the filler until finally you would have a rolled up wrapper.

Also, a smaller ring guage nearly always burns hotter than a larger (considering that they are smoked at the same rate and the RH is the same). IMO a Short Story is best when smoked very slowly, just barely kept lit. You can really get that earthy/leathery taste. Since I usually select them when I'm short on time, I rush and smoke too fast, knowing that I'm wasting some really good tobacco.

Blog Entries

Its getting clearer.

EDIT: I'm going to actually apologize for acting ungentlemanly with this post, whether it was justifiable or not. I don't appreciate being mocked, (be it directly or indirectly) and I certainly don't like being told I'm wrong about something when I'm not, especially when I've received the information in question from a primary source, (http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...47,251,00.html)

If you feel the need to read the original post, it's on the following page.
    Last edited by Dan; 01-27-2009 at 02:13 AM.

Thread Information