Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xikar Disassembly / Reassembly

Blog Entries

Default Xikar Disassembly / Reassembly

For all you tools...er tool inclined people, upon request, I've re-enacted my Xikar "surgery"

1st: Pour yourself a beer (or beverage of your choice)

2nd: Take the double screw apart at the bottom

3rd: Take the trigger button off (WARNING: Watch for that little spring, it may fly somewhere)

4th: Its apart (do what you want at this point, be it cleaning, or posting a picture of the parts and subsequently receive comment to show a re-assembly pictorial)

5th: This is the trick, put the double screw back in (this is the third hand you need)

6th: put the piece of spring steel back in making it "lock" into the groves cut to accept it. I'm trying to point to one of the grooves with a screwdriver.

7th: Close the Xikar while keeping the spring steel in place. This is where it gets a bit precarious. This allows for easy (haha) placement of the trigger casting with regular spring.

8th: while holding all this shit together with one hand, slip the cover back over. Make sure you have the correct side up (you'll see what I mean if you're a dumbass like me)

9th: Take your 3rd hand (double screw) out, and slip cover over, and put back in

10th: Screw trigger button back on.

11th: Take a good hefty swig of you beverage of choice. You're Done!

Will
    Last edited by badwhale; 09-20-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: 9/20/09 Photbucket shuffle & resize of pics
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Awesome post.

I smell a sticky in the accesories forum!

Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    Awesome post.

I smell a sticky in the accesories forum!

agreed +1
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

I laughed my ass off reading this. Nice pictures and commentary.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Nice work Will! I don't own a Xikar cutter, but who knows what the future will bring.

Vote for sticky.

Blog Entries

Thank you Thank you
    First I'd like to thank God, my Mom, the Academy...

Uncle Tupelo

That third hand is critical -- I have an older xikar that sometimes needs realignment (doesn't always close tightly on one side), and the action starts to feel gritty -- but mine doesn't have that removable screw at the bottom. This should come in handy.

Del Rio, TX. Middle of nowhere. From Phoenix, AZ.

Very impressive, way to problem solve..

This makes me feel better about going out and buying one now that I know I can clean it myself.

Awesome post, Will.

Enjoyed the pictures and the descriptions.

Great thread man. Thanks!

I have seen these before bit I have never tried one. I always thought they were over priced. If I were to buy one would it be the last cutter in my life time? Would like to hear more about this cutter. I be giveing the search engine a lot of hits here

Thanks for the pictures, i will have to clean mine soon!

Rich

Del Rio, TX. Middle of nowhere. From Phoenix, AZ.

Thumbs up

This thread and your other one with the internals was so awesome. Because of it and all the nice things people said about their cutters and Xikar, I bought one. IT IS AWESOME. I can't believe how much better it is than the normal $5 guillotines. I can't believe I waited this long. Thanks for putting in the hard work.

Yep, good one.

Too funny - I just had to figure this out on my own last week. I picked one up and it was sticky, so I took it apart and cleaned off some internal flash, which helped. Then the hard parts came ;) Luckily a soft jaw vice holds it nicely when you need that third hand!

Blog Entries

I had to refer to this today.

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I had to refer to this today.
    I never saw this before but I'm glad you revisited it! My main one needs a cleaning and while I have it open, I think I might touch the edge gently with my diamond steel that I got from a slaughterhouse I worked in some 30 years ago. It's a thin steel rod (about 1/8" dia) with diamond dust in it and it puts the loveliest 'final' edge on a blade.

Anyhow, rather than send it in to Xikar for that, I'll do it myself with your guide in hand!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I, too, love a good DIY project - but on all things a Xikar cutter?!?! It's just too doggone easy to drop it in the mail to Xikar and have them do the dirty work!!!! LOL

I can't say enough about those folks - they bend over backwards to back up their products. One of the few organizations that truly takes customer service to the limit!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I, too, love a good DIY project - but on all things a Xikar cutter?!?! It's just too doggone easy to drop it in the mail to Xikar and have them do the dirty work!!!! LOL

I can't say enough about those folks - they bend over backwards to back up their products. One of the few organizations that truly takes customer service to the limit!!!
    I know you've mentioned this sentiment before. But just for a cleaning, com'on.

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I know you've mentioned this sentiment before. But just for a cleaning, com'on.
    Even for a cleaning! If it's not working well for any reason they will take it back and send you a new one! They blow me away at how liberal their return policy is...

Thread Information