Thread: Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real

1. Default Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real

This is a cigar noobs 1st review. Please refrain from smart ass replies (as this might not be a good review, considering).

Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real

cigar kept at 70% rh

I thought the draw was perfect

The 1st 1/3 of the cigar, to me, tasted a bit like I would imagine dirt tasting. Is this what they refer to "earthy" tasting or "earth tones" in some of the professional cigar reviews? I did not find this enjoyable.

Then, almost right at the 2/3 of the cigar, it started to mellow out a bit. I thought this was decent compared to the 1/3.

The last third seemed to go back to the strong dirt taste of the beginning of the cigar.

I dunno, in my opinion, this was certainly not the most tasty cigar I have ever had. I don't think I will be buying another one of these anytime soon. This was my first Romeo Y Julieta cigar. I will be trying some of their other stogies. I know a lot of people like this brand. I believe I saw somewhere that this particular smoke got a rating of 90, but it just wasn't my taste.

What are your thoughts on the Reserva Real?

Blog Entries

I thought that was a good review.

I really like the Reserva Reals. I've been eyeing a box of those for a while, but sofar, budget has prevented it. I like the robustos. To me, they are a flavorful mild smoke.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I have never liked Romeos
    There's only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't!

Blog Entries

I don't believe I have had a Reserva Real, but I will smoke a RyJ every now and then when I am in the mood for something really mild. I did absolutely love the Romeo No.3 I had once.

Blog Entries

Nice first review!

Not much of a RyJ fan myself, but I do have several floating around in the coolers.. they're ok for morning coffee smokes.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Can't reply, I'm a smart ass.

Del Rio, TX. Middle of nowhere. From Phoenix, AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by sushiboy View Post
    I dunno, in my opinion, this was certainly not the most tasty cigar I have ever had. I don't think I will be buying another one of these anytime soon. This was my first Romeo Y Julieta cigar. I will be trying some of their other stogies. I know a lot of people like this brand. I believe I saw somewhere that this particular smoke got a rating of 90, but it just wasn't my taste.

Try the vintage. They are far and above my step-dad's favorite sticks and I never turn one down when he offers.

You didn't taste the "graham cracker"?

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Can't reply, I'm a smart ass.
    I was yelled at by a car dealer sales manager for that... They lost a sale - but they woulda lost it anyway because they were trying to being funny with the price they quoted me.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sushiboy View Post
    This is a cigar noobs 1st review. Please refrain from smart ass replies (as this might not be a good review, considering).

Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real

cigar kept at 70% rh

I thought the draw was perfect

The 1st 1/3 of the cigar, to me, tasted a bit like I would imagine dirt tasting. Is this what they refer to "earthy" tasting or "earth tones" in some of the professional cigar reviews? I did not find this enjoyable.

Then, almost right at the 2/3 of the cigar, it started to mellow out a bit. I thought this was decent compared to the 1/3.

The last third seemed to go back to the strong dirt taste of the beginning of the cigar.

Never had one. Any cigar that comes in "It's a boy" and "It's a girl" versions, like the Reserva Real, is a cigar that I'll stay away from.

AFAIK, "earthiness " is like the smell of freshly-tilled earth. Mushrooms, truffles, etc. Here's an educational and smart-ass link about all the flavour/taste/aroma weirdness: http://www.eblong.com/zarf/flavorwheel.html Sample quote (in reference to a wine-aroma wheel):
    ... you can't argue with an aroma wheel that include[s] "Wet dog".

Good review, honestly. You said whether you liked the cigar or didn't like the cigar, and said why. You gave your conclusions and recommendations. I've never had the cigar and can tell from your review that I probably won't want to try it. Some inkling of that (or the reverse) is all I'm trying to get from a review. Thanks for posting!

One suggestion for the future is, if possible, to give a cigar or cigars that you would think similar to the one reviewed, in what aspects, and why. This helps if your tastes and a reader's tastes don't agree.

Keep the reviews coming! The more one does, the better, as far as I'm concerned .

Smart-ass comment: The only RyJ that I've smoked that I really enjoyed is the Short Churchill .
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BenjiM View Post
    Try the vintage. They are far and above my step-dad's favorite sticks and I never turn one down when he offers.
    I just added that to my "Cigars To Try" list. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    You didn't taste the "graham cracker"?
    I didn't catch that at all. If present, it was probably overpowered by flavors that I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    AFAIK, "earthiness " is like the smell of freshly-tilled earth. Mushrooms, truffles, etc. Here's an educational and smart-ass link about all the flavour/taste/aroma weirdness: http://www.eblong.com/zarf/flavorwheel.html
    That looks like an awesome page. Ill definitely read up on that.

One suggestion for the future is, if possible, to give a cigar or cigars that you would think similar to the one reviewed, in what aspects, and why. This helps if your tastes and a reader's tastes don't agree.
    I'll try to include that when possible in future reviews.

Keep the reviews coming! The more one does, the better, as far as I'm concerned .
    Will do. I'll slap a review on here from time to time, good or bad.

Del Rio, TX. Middle of nowhere. From Phoenix, AZ.

no prob, let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I was yelled at by a car dealer sales manager for that... They lost a sale - but they woulda lost it anyway because they were trying to being funny with the price they quoted me.
    OK Ken , the big guns are out you picking on a sales manager

lol Dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Nice review. I have not had one of these, and I'm not really an RyJ fan in general. The only RyJ I have had that I though was worthy of the price is the Cedros. Note, I have not had all of RyJ's varieties, so I'm no expert and there may be some good ones that I have missed.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Default Nice Review

I agree, i don't mind a little "natural" tobacco taste in my cigars but when it just tastes like dirt it means the manufacturer did a crappy job of picking the tobacco or aging it. I got a 5 pack of RYJ Reserve Maduros that i am getting ready to try after a couple of weeks in Humidor so I will try to get a review posted. Hopefully they did a better job on these. I will keep my fingers crossed. On a side note, a friend of mine tried the RYJ 1875 and said it was one of the best cigars he has ever had, so maybe its not the brand, just the cigar.

Default Looking foward

Just bought one today, i hope ill enjoy it. Thanks for the review.
    Why must i settle for just comfortable?
    I have one life to live.
    And i want to be wealthy!
    No reason i shouldnt want to be.

Thread Information