Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite gas station cigar

What bullshit. smokin-stogie, can you get any more fucking dense. These are made and marketed to be hulled out and made into blunts.

Which brings me to some pretty fucked up weirdness. Where I live, we have a line of convenience stores that tries to create for itself a profile of community involvement, support, etc. But, these assholes also sell a huge line of flavored cigars, rolling papers, etc., AND all the paraphernalia for smoking crack - fucking torch lighters (I can promise you these aren't put out for people who smoke real cigars), glass pipes, and even chore boys (these are kept behind the goddamn counter with the rolling papers and not out with dish detergent for christsake).

Rant over.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    Fuk it... I'm going to the gas station to procure a selection of high end cigars for a review series....

asshole
    Right on......post away, I've got a shitload of sarcastic replies saved up. You better hurry though, seems like the dipshit drought is being broken.

Hilarious thread! I have to admit it, in my younger years I was a fan of Parodi. Their slogan is great, "not strong, not mild, but different." Although, in their defense, they were a step up from white owl and the like. Not that I am condoning anyone actually buying them.

Blog Entries

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/t11306-white-owl.html

I am posting this to prove BWA did what he said he'd do. In case 5 years from now someone reading this and wondering.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Quote Originally Posted by smokin-stogie View Post
    I was saying more like phillies tiawanas whiteowls backwoods ect....

Some people just don't get it.

AGAIN GRASSHOPPER!

Remember, if it doesn't need a humidor, it's not a real cigar.

Occasionally, you will find real cigars in a convenience or drug store. These are usually Cuesta-rey cabinet, Helix, Macanudo, cuban sandwich, etc. In these cases, the Cuesta-Rey cigars are actually a decent camaroon wrapped smoke. Some rare stores actually have mini humidors with overpriced RYJ's and Monte's.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    I'll admit, way back in the day I would always bring a pouch of Backwoods with me when I went overnight catfishing... Since I've started collecting cigars, I find I have plenty of options other than stopping at the gas station for cigars.

I have never, EVER, smoked ANY flavored gas station "cigar". I did take a few puffs from a Black & Mild once, but they're more of a "pipe tobacco" thing.

I admit on occasion I'll pick up a black n mild, if I have nothing else available. They don't taste much like anything, but at least they smell good.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    I admit on occasion I'll pick up a black n mild, if I have nothing else available. They don't taste much like anything, but at least they smell good.
    Damndest thing about those. They smell a lot better than they taste. Still, I get a craving every now and then when I don't feel like bothering with my pipe.
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

If there's nothing else available, I'll grab a pack of Backwoods honey or regular... that's about it.

Some of the gas stations around here have Hampton Courts, JM's Dominicans which isn't a bad $2 cigar, few other selections.

I dunno, I just take my travel humidor with me on days I think I'll want to smoke.
    America is all about tolerance. We love tolerance, we love the melting pot, and we hate intolerance...

Unless its directed towards a freakin' smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by CatalystOfChaos View Post
    If there's nothing else available, I'll grab a pack of Backwoods honey or regular... that's about it.

Some of the gas stations around here have Hampton Courts, JM's Dominicans which isn't a bad $2 cigar, few other selections.

I dunno, I just take my travel humidor with me on days I think I'll want to smoke.
    After smoking premiums for about 6 months or so I went on a little golfing trip but forgot to bring a cigar with me. Picked up some cheap backwoods at the gas station thinking they would be ok. LSS I have never had a gas station smoke again. I do however have some on hand that were from Santa this year I may have to follow the Badwhale example and do some reviews.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post
    After smoking premiums for about 6 months or so I went on a little golfing trip but forgot to bring a cigar with me. Picked up some cheap backwoods at the gas station thinking they would be ok. LSS I have never had a gas station smoke again. I do however have some on hand that were from Santa this year I may have to follow the Badwhale example and do some reviews.
    Most gas stations let their cigars dry out, and so they're terrible regardless.

Of the choices you have, the Backwoods are usually sealed, which helps a tad. If you're buying from a gas station, you shouldn't be expecting greatness lol.

I got some Backwoods from my local tobacconist, he keeps them in the very bottom of his massive humidor. They were pretty decent. Not a real stogie of course, but not bad for a 5 minute smoke.
    America is all about tolerance. We love tolerance, we love the melting pot, and we hate intolerance...

Most gas stations let their cigars dry out, and so they're terrible regardless.

Of the choices you have, the Backwoods are usually sealed, which helps a tad. If you're buying from a gas station, you shouldn't be expecting greatness lol.

I got some Backwoods from my local tobacconist, he keeps them in the very bottom of his massive humidor. They were pretty decent. Not a real stogie of course, but not bad for a 5 minute smoke.
    My problem with them isn't so much that they taste like garbage, but with the overall lack of experience involved. Every time you smoke a premium, even if it's a label you've smoked before, it brings something new with it. Every time you pick up some other subtle nuance that just adds to the smoke. When you smoke a gas station cigar you just don't get anything really, it's just smoke and nothing more. A good cigar is just so much more than that.
    Hoban Washburn

My problem with them isn't so much that they taste like garbage, but with the overall lack of experience involved. Every time you smoke a premium, even if it's a label you've smoked before, it brings something new with it. Every time you pick up some other subtle nuance that just adds to the smoke. When you smoke a gas station cigar you just don't get anything really, it's just smoke and nothing more. A good cigar is just so much more than that.
    The main reason I smoke cheapies like Backwoods or the occasional Swisher even though it makes me cringe is that I have a lot of cigarette smoking friends.

I'm not interested in cigarettes, but I do like to go outside and hang out for a few minutes, during break at work, while pausing a movie I'm watching with the family, whatever. They pull out a pack of marlboro's, and I'm not willing to light up a churchill just to smoke it for 5-10 minutes while they smoke a cigarette.

Backwoods taste ok, they're not great. But I get to go outside and socialize and enjoy the smoke break with the guys, and I didn't have to smoke a cigarette or waste a good stick.

The main reason I smoke cheapies like Backwoods or the occasional Swisher even though it makes me cringe is that I have a lot of cigarette smoking friends.

I'm not interested in cigarettes, but I do like to go outside and hang out for a few minutes, during break at work, while pausing a movie I'm watching with the family, whatever. They pull out a pack of marlboro's, and I'm not willing to light up a churchill just to smoke it for 5-10 minutes while they smoke a cigarette.

Backwoods taste ok, they're not great. But I get to go outside and socialize and enjoy the smoke break with the guys, and I didn't have to smoke a cigarette or waste a good stick.
    Get yourself some good small premiums in tins my friend. Still not up to the quality of a full on smoke but much better flavor and experience than the gas stations. Rocky Patel Juniors or a tin of Cohibas, I have a tin of Ashtons that I keep around for that reason.
    Hoban Washburn

Get yourself some good small premiums in tins my friend. Still not up to the quality of a full on smoke but much better flavor and experience than the gas stations. Rocky Patel Juniors or a tin of Cohibas, I have a tin of Ashtons that I keep around for that reason.
    I picked up some macanudo Ascots.

They're mediocre. Normally I love Macanudo, the Ascots aren't bad, but I'm not loving them.

I also haven't dabbled in Rocky Patel too much yet... still tasting around really. Nor have I played with the Cohibas... I had one my first week or two of smoking, but I wasn't really discerning tastes back then so much as I was burning sticks too hot and puffing too fast and drinking the wrong drinks lol

Normally I love Macanudo
    NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Dude friends do not let friends smoke Macanudos. They aren't bad smokes but there are just so many more out there that are as good or better for less money. Try Gispert, Montesino, some of the Punch line has some good mild to mediums. No Macs, Macs bad. This is an intervention I am saving you from you. Wait till the other fellas wake up.
    Hoban Washburn

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Dude friends do not let friends smoke Macanudos. They aren't bad smokes but there are just so many more out there that are as good or better for less money. Try Gispert, Montesino, some of the Punch line has some good mild to mediums. No Macs, Macs bad. This is an intervention I am saving you from you. Wait till the other fellas wake up.
    Yeah... $8 for a Hampton Court is a bit steep when I can pick up a Casa Torano for the same price, and enjoy it quite a bit more.

Or an Oliva for $5.

I tried a few Arturo Fuentes, and they either were too strong for me, or didn't taste good. I've also tried a few Punch's, Helix's, didn't quite work. I was also still having trouble discerning tastes, so I might have to revisit.

I had a few Davidoff Private Stock's that I liked, a few Flor de Oliva, a Gispert Robusto, all were pretty tasty to me. I didnt' like the Romeo y Julieta that I tried, and it was expensive.

I'm still fairly new, but eager to learn and try out new sticks lol

Yeah... $8 for a Hampton Court is a bit steep when I can pick up a Casa Torano for the same price, and enjoy it quite a bit more.

Or an Oliva for $5.

I tried a few Arturo Fuentes, and they either were too strong for me, or didn't taste good. I've also tried a few Punch's, Helix's, didn't quite work. I was also still having trouble discerning tastes, so I might have to revisit.

I had a few Davidoff Private Stock's that I liked, a few Flor de Oliva, a Gispert Robusto, all were pretty tasty to me. I didnt' like the Romeo y Julieta that I tried, and it was expensive.

I'm still fairly new, but eager to learn and try out new sticks lol
    Everyone tries Mac, it is a very popular cigar because it is carried everywhere and they promote the hell out of it. but a lot of what you are paying for is name. I have never smoked a Mac that just blew my mind. It's all about the journey though right.
    Hoban Washburn

Everyone tries Mac, it is a very popular cigar because it is carried everywhere and they promote the hell out of it. but a lot of what you are paying for is name. I have never smoked a Mac that just blew my mind. It's all about the journey though right.
    Well, my first Hampton Court I loved because I was noob and trying out sticks that were too strong for me, and the Hampton Court was pretty mild and creamy tasting.

Now I know there are other mild/mediums that I like, but it WAS one of the first I liked, and because they're so readily available, I can pick them up on those occasions where I didn't bring anything but find myself with time/desire to smoke.

I really like the JM's Dominican for a cheap smoke. I keep a good 5-10 in my humidor to give out to buddies when they come over, as well, since they run $2-3 a stick. Not as tasty as others, but at $2 a stick I'll take it.

Check out Rocky Patel Vintage 99 petite corona. I can draw it out to 20+ mins but they can go pretty quick. They're a good stick in the morning with coffee.

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Galvanicfish View Post
    Damndest thing about those. They smell a lot better than they taste. Still, I get a craving every now and then when I don't feel like bothering with my pipe.
    Totally agree there. They don't smell anything like a real cigar, but they do smell pretty good. Just taste like smoke though.

Thread Information