Thread: So....I might be buying a tower

Default So....I might be buying a tower

More specifically this one.

It will be a few months till I plan on buying it, as I have to find a place to put it. Actually I'm not even sure I'll be able to find a place to put it yet. But I'm going to start looking into it abit for now. And I have a couple of questions about moving up to something like this.

1) Humidification system - What to use? Would a cigar oasis II be sufficient for this? I can get the Oasis II for $100 if I order it with the cabinet, so that option is pretty attractive if the Oasis is a good choice. Any other/better options out there? Would it be wise to throw a couple pounds of beads in there with it?

2) Seasoning - How would I go about seasoning something this big? Just hook up the oasis/other active humidification system and let it do its thing?

3) Anyone have experience with this particular tower? Any others I should maybe consider as well? I would like to keep it around the $1000 mark with everything (ie. tower, shipping, and humidification)

4) And shipping, anything I should look out for with shipping? The shipping info states its $200 to my door, but removal from the truck, going up stairs, and being taken in the house are all optional. Would it be worth it to look into these options?

Anything else I should look for or consider?

Thanks
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

A friend on another board has two of those exact humidors, both using Oasis II, he also uses beads scattered throughout them in drawers and such.

I think he said he just charged up everything with distilled water and let it run for about a week to season it... maybe bowls of water on the shelves?

I wouldn't spend extra on inside delivery, I would think it's no heavier than a curio cabinet, and nothing you and a friend couldn't handle. just make sure you inspect it BEFORE you sign, no matter what the driver says, it's your right to do so. You can even keep him there while you contact the vendor if there's damage, and let them know you refused delivery.

Can't wait to see pictures of this bad boy all filled up
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

I figured me, my dad, and my brother would be able to take care of it.

I take it they haven't had any sealing issues with either one?

I was thinking maybe 1lb of beads at the top and bottom, and then some throughout the draws should be good.
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

Buddy said there was a slight leak near the bottom of the door on one, but the Oasis II keeps things perfectly stable. I would definately have some active humidifier in that thing!

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

I think I'll be going with an Avallo Accumonitor setup if I end up buying this. By the time I buy the Oasis, beads, and fans; I could spend the same amount on an Avallo setup. So I got the humidification system out of the way, just have to find a spot for this now.
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

Avallo is the Shit!

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

I would definitely move it yourself. Empty they are not that heavy. I have helped move a few of those WITH all of the cardboard and garb attached. Not bad at all.

I would make sure to get on Tampa Humidor's email list. Every now and then mike has a "free shipping" deal on everything...even cabinets. Just an idea ;)

And if you call and talk to him you might even get a better deal. It's called the Peinza I think on their website.

Not to mention I hate cheaphumidors with a passion. Worst CS on the face of the earth if you ever have a problem.

I run a similar setup right now. Been running it for a number of years. And I have the Avallo system too! It's simply the best and the only thing you need. If there is any slight leaks around the door your just go to your local homedepot and pick up some fresh window door seals and re-do the seal with a thicker one.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

I sell a lot of those towers. They are a great humidor for a great price. Seasoning info can be found here.

http://www.prohumidors.com/gottalight.html

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I might be able to beat their price too.
    www.prohumidors.com - Premium Humidors and Cigar accessories.

Well I have found a pretty good spot in the basement to store this sucker. I just have to move my quad gear bag and a few other things out of the way, and I should be good. I may even be ready to order this around my birthday this month. That would be one heck a gift to my self.

Ive also decided to go with an Avallo Accumonitor setup. After looking at the costs of it versus the cost of an oasis and a few pounds of beads, the Avallo is the better deal I think.

Anyways Im pretty excited about it and cant wait to order everything!
    Yay! Cigars!

Nice! Be sure to post some pics when you get this sucker set up. I've been contemplating getting a large cabinet but I think I'll wait till I get a house and convert a closet into a humidor

Dang, I want an Avallo...

Why can't my wife appreciate the art and enjoyment of cigar smoking? I'm determined to get a cabinet one a' these days...

Is it better to get a refrigerated cigar cabinet?
    Last edited by Artyman1200; 03-04-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Well after waiting a bit and working to clear a spot in the basement to put the tower, I've had some time to think and I decided to wait to buy it. Im going to wait a year or two before I make the move up to a tower. A few things made me change my mind 1) as I think about it I would rather save up and buy a nice custom tower maybe. 2) buying a tower will cut into my cigar budget big time and there are a couple of box purchases that I dont want to wait on. There are a few others, but those two are the main reasons. So in the meantime Im just going to pick up another 120qt or bigger cooler and start filling it.
    Yay! Cigars!

The cigar tower that many people sell online comes in a black finish now. Its pretty sweet you should check it out.
    www.prohumidors.com - Premium Humidors and Cigar accessories.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Really would like one myself!

I wish I had the bucks to just buy that same one. I have been contemplating building one, but the coolidor is more in reach for me. I am drooling just thinking of what you could put in there for gars. Looking forward to hear your progress. Roger
    Just another day at the office!

Thread Information