Thread: New smoker - Fake cohibas?

1. Default New smoker - Fake cohibas?

Hey Everyone, nice to meet you

I'm just learning about cigars, as i don't smoke, but im getting into it. Love to smell of fresh ciagrs and the rich flavour although i can only smoke about 1/4 of one before my mouth goes numb.

Would love a link to what i should be noticing while smoking. What makes a good one, ect.

Just got back from Cuba, bought some underground cigars, Monte Cristo's (actually legit cigars, store bought), romeo and juliets #2, and some Cohiba Eslendidos. Been reading about fakes cohiba's. the box i bought came with the stickers and such in the box. The labels and such all seem to pass. (was told they were back door factory, i was close to the factory, so maybe)

Any way i decided to dissect one as that seems to be the only way to tell. Here are the pics.

Fake's or the real deal. and would love a beginners guide.

- Brain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0408.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0415.jpg 
Views:	1335 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	label.jpg 
Views:	732 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	963  

Look fake to me based on the overall quality of the packaging and the actual cigars...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the brain View Post
    Hey Everyone, nice to meet you

I'm just learning about cigars, as i don't smoke, but im getting into it. Love to smell of fresh ciagrs and the rich flavour although i can only smoke about 1/4 of one before my mouth goes numb.

Would love a link to what i should be noticing while smoking. What makes a good one, ect.

Just got back from Cuba, bought some underground cigars, Monte Cristo's (actually legit cigars, store bought), romeo and juliets #2, and some Cohiba Eslendidos. Been reading about fakes cohiba's. the box i bought came with the stickers and such in the box. The labels and such all seem to pass. (was told they were back door factory, i was close to the factory, so maybe)

Any way i decided to dissect one as that seems to be the only way to tell. Here are the pics.

Fake's or the real deal. and would love a beginners guide.

- Brain
    Sorry, obvious fakes. In a real box, the cigars would all be, as much as possible, the same colour in each row (and the same size). Stickers in the box and not properly applied is also a dead giveaway, as is the poor condition of the leaf in the dissected cigar. Check out http://www.vitolas.net/ for basic fake-finding info.

Welcome to CigarSmokers!
    Last edited by craig; 03-01-2009 at 03:12 PM.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

The label inside the box lid is a dead giveaway... looks like it was cut out with safety scissors.

Also, the bands are placed way too far from the head of the cigars.

There sure have been a lot of fake Esplendidos going around lately.. sorry you had to end up with one.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

5. Default that sucks

Well luckly i've learned a thing or two, hopefully their still ok to smoke, as i said, i dont know much about cigars, but at least i have real Monte Cristo's.

Read a cool story about the whole fake Cuban cigar trade
    http://www.elbuenhabano.com/habano/n...nglish&puroid=

Anyone have anymore links where i can learn about how to distuingish about flavour and all the different knowledge about cigar tasting. eg. like "how to taste wine"

Blog Entries

Live and Learn

At least, since you purchased them in Cuba, they're likely made of Cuban tobaccos... So they're not technically fake Cubans.. just fake COHIBAS!

I say smoke them, if you enjoy them, then it's not a total loss. Just please be sure not to distribute or trade them in any way except to that A-hole neighbor or father-in-law.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

7. Default

hahaha well said sir

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    Live and Learn

At least, since you purchased them in Cuba, they're likely made of Cuban tobaccos... So they're not technically fake Cubans.. just fake COHIBAS!

I say smoke them, if you enjoy them, then it's not a total loss. Just please be sure not to distribute or trade them in any way except to that A-hole neighbor or father-in-law.

I'm with this guy!

Like everyone has mentioned thus far, they do seem to be fake. I would say so just by looking at the placement of the band on the cigar, I'm pretty sure the real one are a little higher up towards the end of the cigar.
    If I can't smoke because smoking will kill me then life isn't worth living.

-Ian Fleming

10. Default

Real
    The older I get ,the better I was

In addition to the website craig listed cigaraficionado has a real vs fake cigar band comparison

I may be wrong about this, but isn't there a higher risk of getting beetles with the fake ones? Just in case, I'd be keeping those seperate from my other smokes...
    "Celebrate Yourself!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
    I may be wrong about this, but isn't there a higher risk of getting beetles with the fake ones? Just in case, I'd be keeping those seperate from my other smokes...
    This is a reasonable suspicion and a very good tip.

14. Default

Are beetles very common, and how do i tell if they have beetles. Cant say i want to smoke them.

Quote Originally Posted by the brain View Post
    Are beetles very common, and how do i tell if they have beetles. Cant say i want to smoke them.
    If you keep your cigars in the right humidity and temperature you won't have to worry about beetles. So long as your cigars don't go above 70' F the beetles won't be able to hatch. If you do have beetles you will notice holes in the wrapper of the cigar, and if they are in your humidor they will likely destroy your smokes.
    If I can't smoke because smoking will kill me then life isn't worth living.

-Ian Fleming

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 597 View Post
    If you keep your cigars in the right humidity and temperature you won't have to worry about beetles. So long as your cigars don't go above 70' F the beetles won't be able to hatch. If you do have beetles you will notice holes in the wrapper of the cigar, and if they are in your humidor they will likely destroy your smokes.
    God that would suck. I just imagined all my smokes ruined. I would consider quitting smoking cigars after a devestaing blow like that. Maybe that's rash.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 597 View Post
    64 degrees now, according to the latest article I could find: http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/...41_87/_article

Tobacco beetle eggs and pupae are in/on a lot of tobacco. Most manufacturers fumigate their tobacco constantly and/or freeze the cigars prior to purchase by consumers.

Some people take the extra step of freezing all cigars that they buy. I'll freeze custom rolls and any boxes of cigars brought back from Cuba. It is a PITA, but beetles are worse ...
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

18. Default

ok awesome advice, i'll freeze them until my humidor arrives.

I hope you didn't pay any more than a buck or two a piece. They're the most incredibly looking fakes I've ever seen - they look like they're fakes of a fake!!!

Thread Information