Thread: Academic Conference Presentations?

Blog Entries

Default Academic Conference Presentations?

I'm looking for someone in academia who is familiar with the process for submitting abstracts and/or ideas for either presenting a paper or displaying a poster presentation at an academic conference this fall. The deadline is roughly a month away. I could go either way - paper or poster - but have zero experience in presenting my work for a conference panel to decide whether or not to accept my submission.

Would appreciate any pointers or advice anyone could throw my way.

Thanks for reading.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

What is it you're doing? I would think it depends on the subject... I am puting together a conference this summer and am about to learn the joys of reading abstracts - if you've got some time for this I could let you know what stood out from my lot.
    "Celebrate Yourself!"

Blog Entries

I'm not in academia, but, FWIW:

Read the conference guidelines. Read old proceedings. That tells you how to submit and what has been accepted. Every conference is different, and has a different style, etc. Know your competition.

A paper is always better than a poster. A poster is better than no poster.

Getting advice from one of your profs is a good idea (and could be a potential co-author). Being second author on a paper is usually better than a poster.

Being first author is better, but harder (unless there's a student section). Having co-authors is pretty much the norm for papers in some fields. (See "Read ... ," above .)

Please post a link to the conference!
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
    What is it you're doing? I would think it depends on the subject... I am puting together a conference this summer and am about to learn the joys of reading abstracts - if you've got some time for this I could let you know what stood out from my lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    I'm not in academia, but, FWIW:

Read the conference guidelines. Read old proceedings. That tells you how to submit and what has been accepted. Every conference is different, and has a different style, etc. Know your competition.

A paper is always better than a poster. A poster is better than no poster.

Getting advice from one of your profs is a good idea (and could be a potential co-author). Being second author on a paper is usually better than a poster.

Being first author is better, but harder (unless there's a student section). Having co-authors is pretty much the norm for papers in some fields. (See "Read ... ," above .)

Please post a link to the conference!
    I suppose more information is in order.

There is actually a lot more to include, but I'll spare the details. Basically, I've got an idea, and I figure it can benefit academia, so I thought I'd present it at a conference. Being a novice in this field, I was planning on presenting it at a smaller, regional conference, although the findings could potentially benefit academia on a global scale. A paper (albeit not peer-reviewed) has been prepared. It's probably 7 pages long, and is unfinished. I'm out of school, and have been told that this idea could potentially be wrapped into a doctoral thesis. I don't know about that, though. Feel free to PM me for more details, but I'd rather keep the topic itself out of the conversation, and just focus on presentations at conferences.

Here's the link to the conference.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

The conference gives you a guide to submission and a style manual to follow. JMLA gives you an idea of what they're used to.

At first glance, the conference doesn't look to have published proceedings, so ignore the co-author stuff above.

Dry-run your presentation; and stay within time limits.

Good luck!
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Thread Information