Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camacho Reviews

Blog Entries

Default Camacho Reviews

So, I've been critical of Camacho's in chat and in past posts, and I was called out on it. I'm a schmuck as I'd only had a few different Camacho's. These are going to be a series of reviews, done periodically, of all Camacho vitolas I am in possession of. Enjoy.

CAMACHO DIPLOMA SCORPION

Size: 6 / 54
    Vitola: Basically a large perfecto
    Wrapper: Authentic Corojo
    Binder: Authentic Corojo
    Filler: Authentic Corojo

The shape of this cigar is intriguing. Much larger than any other perfecto I'd ever smoked before, it kind of looks like an overgrown AF Short Story, though not quite as pronounced in shape. A snip of the head, and the pre-light draw was perfect - not too loose, but not too hard. The construction of the cigar was not flawless - there were a few veins, but nothing protruding or of noticeable concern. The toothy, slightly oily wrapper was firm to the touch, but not rock hard. The cigar didn't feel especially heavy nor light in hand.

The initial scent of the cigar was kind of an earthy scent. Perhaps a little leather - I'm not very good with that kind of thing - but definitely intriguing.

Toasting the foot took very little time, because of the small area of filler available at the foot. It lit easily, and within 2-3 puffs I was getting a heavy volume of smoke. I don't ever trust tastes of the first 5 or so puffs, unless it's truly something unique and consistent in the rest of the cigar. After 1/2" or so, I was able to taste the deep, complex tobacco flavors and a twinge of trademark Camacho strength/spice in the back of my throat. I'm not saying the cigar itself was spicy per se (in comparison to, say an Ashton VSG), I'm saying the strength of the smoke coming from the cigar was very strong, and had a bite.

The cigar held a white/white-grey ash that wasn't firm past maybe an inch. At no time was the cigar ever unpleasant, but the cigar didn't change a whole lot in taste throughout the course of smoking it. I suppose it took me just under 2 hours to get through the cigar. While I did not continuously puff on it, it did go out on me a couple times, once being very hard to relight again.

Noticeable characteristics: lots and lots of smoke; unique, strong, and consistent pleasant tobacco flavors; even burn

I wish it: developed more of a gradual, building flavor around the halfway mark or so; was available in my area

Everyone has a ratings system, mine is letter grades borrowed from the American school system.

I rate this an A-.
    I wish the flavor profile had developed more throughout the life of the cigar. I suppose this is an unfair bias because I had the expectation that it would before I even lit it. I do appreciate how it burned evenly, never got hot nor harsh.

Many thanks to a very generous BOTL on the board.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Very nice review, my friend! these are my very favorite Camacho.. and I know exactly the path that particular cigar has made across the country!

You know, BTW.... we were just bustin' your chops in chat.

Great job!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Nice review bro!! This is one of my favorites as well.

Thanks for the great review. I can't wait to see your review of the Triple Maduro!

Rich

Based on how your review was reading I'm surprised you gave it an A-. That's pretty good. I have ordered some Camacho sampler packs so I can evaluate the brand as a whole. It's one of those brands I haven't smoked much for whatever reason. I look forward to following your reviews. Thanks

Blog Entries

Great review. I haven't smoked a Camacho yet, but I appreciate your insight. I'll smoke one soon so I can compare my experience to your review. Thanks for the review!
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

Camacho Havana Monarca

Size: 5 / 50
    Vitola: Robusto
    Wrapper: Habano Criollo
    Binder: Authentic Corojo
    Filler: Authentic Corojo

On the surface, there is nothing significant about this cigar. To the touch, it has no soft spots, but isn't firm like a La Aurora 1495 or a DC Max. The construction was really nice on the toothy wrapper. A few veins, but not very pronounced. The smell initially reminded me of what I consider a "standard" cigar smell, a scent I have long associated with how cigar smells since I was young.

The cut went smoothly, no worries of any cracks. The draw was very loose. A little more loose than I would prefer. Because of this, it took a bit longer to toast the foot, and even longer to get a consistent burn. After about a half of an inch, I tasted hearty, earthy flavors. This wasn't a cigar with delicate or complex flavors. Nothing was hiding, I didn't have to take several puffs in order to detect different tastes, it was pretty much straightforward: earthy tastes, a touch of spice, very pleasant tobacco flavors. It was really nice, I must say. Once I gave up any preconceived expectations and just appreciated the cigar for what it was (instead of what I wanted it to be), I really enjoyed it.

The ash didn't hold on very long, as it wasn't very strong. I did have burn issues with this cigar, and couldn't get it to burn straight. It wasn't enough where I had to use the lighter to fix it, but it did happen enough to be noticeable.

I smoked this cigar down to a nub.

Noticeable characteristics: Pleasant, consistent, simple tobacco flavors.

I wish it: had been a churchill vitola. Lucky for me, I got one waiting in the humi

Overall rating: B
    Conclusion: I can't rave about the flavors of this cigar, how complex this cigar was, it's immaculate construction or anything like that. It's nice. It's not complex. The first few puffs taste very similar to the last few. It was nice. I'd smoke one again.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I shouldn't even chime in here but I'm going to anyway. I was a huge fan of camacho for many years. I think back in 05 or 06 I smoked like 11 boxes of corojo monarcas and probably another two or 3 of the 11/18 and even more of the corojo monarca maduros. I still think those 11/18s were one of the best cigars ever rolled.

I think at some point they spread themselves a little thin. The coyolar, legendario, and triple maduro were gimmicky and mediocre at best. The havana and the slr were never a great blend to begin with. I feel like I've had a bittersweet ride with camacho. I was one of the lucky few who recieved not 1 but 2 boxes of the pre-release camacho selects from angel as a gift. Those were also great smokes. The blend released was not quite as good as the pre-release but still pretty good.

Overall I would still recommend the corojo and select to folks. But the rest aren't my cup of tea.

Thanks for the reviews though. If nothing else its nice to see someone eat a bit of crow for putting down a brand they aren't entirely familiar with.
    www.prohumidors.com - Premium Humidors and Cigar accessories.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pmp View Post
    I shouldn't even chime in here but I'm going to anyway. I was a huge fan of camacho for many years. I think back in 05 or 06 I smoked like 11 boxes of corojo monarcas and probably another two or 3 of the 11/18 and even more of the corojo monarca maduros. I still think those 11/18s were one of the best cigars ever rolled.

I think at some point they spread themselves a little thin. The coyolar, legendario, and triple maduro were gimmicky and mediocre at best. The havana and the slr were never a great blend to begin with. I feel like I've had a bittersweet ride with camacho. I was one of the lucky few who recieved not 1 but 2 boxes of the pre-release camacho selects from angel as a gift. Those were also great smokes. The blend released was not quite as good as the pre-release but still pretty good.

Overall I would still recommend the corojo and select to folks. But the rest aren't my cup of tea.

Thanks for the reviews though. If nothing else its nice to see someone eat a bit of crow for putting down a brand they aren't entirely familiar with.
    They're not the only cigar maker that has been accused of that.

In any case, the marketing company that Camacho uses annoys me. The latest Camacho campaign is described at: http://puffingcigars.com/cigar-news/...-project/1983/ (The link is to a story about the campaign, not the campaign itself.)
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Thanks again for the great review.

I am also not a big Camacho fan, but I do like the triple maduro, it's a bit pricey for what you get though.

I have spoke with several b&m stores that stopped carring Camacho due to terrible customer service. You need to stand behind your product!

Rich

Blog Entries

The point of this thread is to provide my assertion of a line of cigars. I am not a pro. I just may be the least qualified person on the board to provide an opinion. I was hoping to contribute to the boards, by providing a first-hand account of a few sticks from a particular line. I'm not expecting James Suckling to consult this list when choosing his next Camacho purchase.

How else would I be able to form an opinion about a cigar manufacturer? Is it necessary to smoke all vitolas of a particular brand in order to make a fair judgment? Just because I've had an indifferent experience with a few lines of a particular manufacturer, is it not prudent to not eagerly pursue that line again? I don't think so. Just as Padron 26's aren't typical Padrons or White Owl's reflective of overall cigar qualities, doesn't mean the stereotype isn't still valid. There are lots of cigars out there, and I can't possibly enjoy them all. Some may not be locally available. Some may not even be legal for me to obtain. That doesn't necessarily signify ignorance as much as availability.

Just my 2 cents.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Mark,

I'm enjoying your Camancho reviews. What I find great about reading reviews, and then smoking the same thing, is a test of my palate. Am I getting the same flavors & burn qualities as you? Let's read and find out.

I'm finding doing a review is fun, 'cause it's an 1 - 1 1/2 hour dedication to that smoke, even if it's one I won't add to my rotation. Total tobacco meditation.

Keep 'em coming.

Will
    Last edited by badwhale; 03-27-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: spelling....damn spelling
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I agree, I'm enjoying these reviews very much. I will caution you on the "testing your palate" thing though. Simply because you do not taste the same things as another person doesn't mean your palate is inferior to theirs.

I read all the reviews posted on here, and over a long period of time and many cigars smoked after reading a review I don't think I have ever tasted exactly the same things as the reviewer........ever. Now, overall profile, strength, and impressions are another matter. IMO, this is what you learn to trust from certain reviewers.

Keep em up Mark. I've been enjoying these reviews as well.

I agree great reviews. As for Camacho I have nothing bad to say about them, the Coyolar was the first actual puro I tried that wasn't an ISOM and I absolutely loved it, got a box coming in soon. The Triple Maduro I also find to be fantastic however it is a bit much if you plan on smoking more than one cigar that day, and the price is a tad high when you can go out and get an Oliva V for $6 but it's a different taste and I enjoy them. I have never smoked a Camacho that I did not enjoy so take that for what it's worth.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Blog Entries

Camacho San Luis y Martinez #2

Size: 6 / 52
    Vitola: Parejo
    Wrapper: Unknown
    Binder: Unknown
    Filler: Unknown

WOXOF is responsible for first alerting me to this smoke, with a post he made last year sometime. It had my interest piqued, so I took the plunge, hoping for this awesomely intensive, full-bodied, full-flavored cigar. The pictures made the cigars look black (I'm a bit color-challenged, shall we say) and the site said that the origin of the cigar's contents is unknown! What isn't enticing about that? I smoked the last of these that I had this past weekend. If for no other reason, to provide my take on this cigar, as this is the Camacho-review thread. Forgive me if much of this mirror's WOXOF's review a while back. This review will be independent, but will reflect my impressions each time I've smoked this cigar.

The cigars come in tubes. They look better inside the tubes than outside of the tubes. The construction isn't great, but certainly isn't shoddy. Just not perfect, that's all. It is darker than any of the other Camacho's I've reviewed so far (but not as dark as other Camacho's I have in the humi, awaiting to be reviewed). It's not loose, but not firm. I can squeeze it easily. There are a few veins, but nothing that looks outrageous.

The cut went smoothly. The draw was very nice. Not too loose, but not too firm. Much like the Havana, the SLyM has a very strong earthy tobacco-smell pre-light. The cigar takes a while to light. Come to think of it, they all did. I have trouble getting a consistent burn out of it. Once lit, I get very strong tobacco flavors, heavy on the earthy flavors, with perhaps just a touch of leather. And it pretty much stays that way throughout the cigar. Towards the middle of the cigar, it did start to get a bit harsh. It was very tolerable at first, but towards the end, it was a little bit too much. Perhaps smoking a smaller vitola, I would not have minded. With this one, however, it was longer, and did get to me. The ash holds up better than the Havana, but not by much, maybe holds on for just less than an inch before flaking off. Grey and white ash. Also, I couldn't get the first half of the cigar to burn evenly (probably due to lighting issues), but the second half had no problem.

Noticeable characteristics: Dark wrapper and harshness give it that great "I'm smoking a manly cigar now" taste and feel; Very straightforward, not complex at all.

I wish it: had been stronger in body. I would consider this cigar medium in body. All those unknown origins tricked me.

Overall rating: B
    It gets a B because at the time, I was in the mood for a slightly harsh, lots of smoke cigar. I wish it had been stronger, and next time, I try a SLyM, I might try a smaller size, like a #4.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

I've smoked a pair of these myself, gifted by a very generous BOTL,

Pretty much the same experience, aside from the burn issues. It did get a bit hot and harsh near the end, but tolerable. I did get good smoke volume from mine though.

Not my favorite Camacho, but still enjoyable.

Great review Brother!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Nice review. I've found that removing the cigar from the tube and dry-boxing it for several hours before smoking improves the light, burn, and harshness.

My vitola of choice is indeed the #4, but then again, I enjoy 44-50 rg cigars in general.

Nice reviews. I hope the Coyolar is on your list.

I like the #4, but I let mine sit for a few weeks in the humi as mine were incredibly dry even though they were tubed. And I do notice more white smoke from them after they've sat for a while, perhaps I got the last of the shipment that was sold.

I also like the appearance; it does give that "manly cigar" look that I haven't seen with other cigars.

Kris

Thread Information