Thread: High end Humidors

Default High end Humidors

Is there any reason people pay over $4,000 for a humidor? I can understand having pride and not wanting to spend $50.00 dollars on a Chinease import that seems to flood the market. Any reasons why a humidor is over lets say $2,500 is it the name your buying? I am in the Active Army and have developed a humidor that is for my fellow Soldiers.

Kyle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	humidor-size-comparison.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	military-humidor-1.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	994  

2. Default

Your humidor is nice but way too expensive. I have 1 made in Spain 300$,1 made in Italy 450$ and 5 Chineese 100$ ones. Guess what humidors keep the most constant RH?

Is that carving done by hand or computer guided equipment?
    The older I get ,the better I was

Default The price

The reason for the price (besides being much larger than other top names) is the wood, labor and engraving. The Chery, Wenge and Spanish wood, plus the handmade Brusso hinges were over $450.00

The labor just for the side and bottom coves took 12 hours at 1/16" cutting at a time with sanding in-between. Then another 4 hours for the Wenge dovetails. There were many more hours for the inside work and engraving. The engraving artwork itself took over 50 hours to create prior to the actual engraving by an Epiliog system.

The reason your Chinese import works the best for RH is probably due to the small size of it. The smaller it is the better it maintains RH. It is a known fact that larger humidors need to be at least 50% full of cigars and cigar boxes to have the best RH. It's easier to fill a small one.

Lastly, this is not for those just looking to store cigars. It is a great addition to fine furniture as well as being art itself.

Your comments are appreciated.

Sincererly,
    Kyle Maliszewski

What are the dimensions on your humidor?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by EGQ View Post
    What are the dimensions on your humidor?
    21" wide X 15" deep X 8" tall
    The older I get ,the better I was

The custom humidor market has always been a very small one. Given the choice mostof people out there are going to opt for the mass produced unit to save money. Especially now that the imported units widely available in a ton of designs, are functional, and look great too.

I have approached many people to subcontract and build custom boxes for me but for the time, labor, and materials its not cost effective to commoditize custom humidors unless you are willing to cut your profit margin and sell them direct.

Thinking about it logically, for that price you could have a custom cabinet with electronics made. Dollars to donuts there aren't many who would take a desktop over a cabinet.

Just some food for thought.

The detail on the top is awesome by the way. Thanks for posting this.
    www.prohumidors.com - Premium Humidors and Cigar accessories.

Thread Information