Thread: BBQ & Bourbon

Default BBQ & Bourbon

I'm planning a trip to Memphis and Bourbon Country this summer and I was looking for some advice on what is a must-see. As Bourbon, BBQ and cigars seem to be a natural combination I thought I'd post here for suggestions. Here's what I have so far:

Sun Studios
    Buffalo Trace
    Payne's BBQ (Memphis)
    Gus' Fried Chicken (Memphis)
    Cozy Corner (Memphis)
    Mammoth Cave (Bowling Green-ish)
    Jack's BBQ (Nashville)
    Four Way Grill (Memphis)

Any advice is appreciated and greetings from Chicago!
    Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board.

Welcome from the UK, Spanky - if you're hitting Memphis, you've gotta do Corky's bbq.
    "Celebrate Yourself!"

Blog Entries

I will be in Memphis in a few weeks for my first wedding anniversary. I have been there before, but have been pointed in the following directions in terms of things to do:

Rendezvous BBQ
    Graceland
    The Peabody (it's the ducks)
    Mud Island
    Beale Street

And welcome from northwest Louisiana.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    I will be in Memphis in a few weeks for my first wedding anniversary. I have been there before, but have been pointed in the following directions in terms of things to do:

Rendezvous BBQ
    Graceland
    The Peabody (it's the ducks)
    Mud Island
    Beale Street

And welcome from northwest Louisiana.
    BB Kings Blues Club (if you're into R&B)
    Duck Tours (amphibious ride across Ole Miss and around town)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Duck Tours (amphibious ride across Ole Miss and around town)
    I got to live in Branson, Missouri, for a little while when I was younger. Being a tourist destination, and better yet, living in a tourist destination has its perks. We got not only free tickets to shows, but to attractions as well. I rode the amphibious "ducks" more times than I care to remember. The best was taking unsuspecting dates then INSISTING on sitting at the back of the boat.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Welcome to the board. I actually just got back from a trip that featured a day in bourbon country. I highly recommend visiting Heaven's Hill and Maker's Mark. Jim Beam can definitely be skipped if you're pressed for time, they let you sample the high end stuff, but there's nothing to see there.

Thanks for all the tips. We'll be doubling up on lunch and dinner so we can squeeze in Corky's and Rendezvous BBQ and I should have remembered the ducks at the Peabody and a Hot Browns at the Brown Hotel in Louisville. We've planned the trip for July and I'll post pictures when I get back.

Heaven Hill, Maker's Mark & Buffalo Trace... I'm glad we have a designated driver.
    Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Heaven Hill, Maker's Mark & Buffalo Trace... I'm glad we have a designated driver.
    If you're gonna see Heaven Hill Distillery, make sure you try some of the Fighting Cock Bourbon. It's firewater but they make a pretty good BBQ sauce, and the bourbon itself is a good addition to homemade sauce.

And no, I'm not kidding about the name. It's really called Fighting Cock.

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I'm planning a trip to Memphis and Bourbon Country this summer and I was looking for some advice on what is a must-see. As Bourbon, BBQ and cigars seem to be a natural combination I thought I'd post here for suggestions. Here's what I have so far:

Sun Studios
    Buffalo Trace
    Payne's BBQ (Memphis)
    Gus' Fried Chicken (Memphis)
    Cozy Corner (Memphis)
    Mammoth Cave (Bowling Green-ish)
    Jack's BBQ (Nashville)
    Four Way Grill (Memphis)

Any advice is appreciated and greetings from Chicago!
    Sounds like you are on the right track. Go to Rendezvous for some ribs. The Commissary is one of my favorite places for BBQ. I could live off of the biscuits at Gus's, oh yeah, the chicken aint half bad either. Check out the Tobacco Bowl while you are on Beale. It is not to far from Beale and a nice place to have a cigar and coffee.

I haven't done the bourbon trail yet but it is on my to do list.

Default Bourbon Trail

Have you made the trip yet? Buffalo Trace was my favorite distillery. Great tour and they make my favorite bourbon; Blantons. You should also check out the Maker's Mark and Four Roses distillery tours. My wife and I, along with two other couples have been down there three times so far... We stay at a B&B and tour the distilleries. A lot of fun.
    "Differences can be resolved in ways that are fair to all, but reason must prevail over passion if there is to be a climate conducive to the settlement of disagreements."
    Ronald Reagan in a speech given to the Supreme Soviet, September 17, 1990

I just moved up to the northeast from Memphis 7 months ago...there are 2 hold in the wall BBQ joints missing from your list...the bbq shop and central bbq...only locals placed but by far better than corky's & rendexvous (IMHO tourist traps)

-Andrew
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.”
    - George Burns

“I have to laugh when I think of the first cigar, because it was probably just a bunch of rolled up tobacco leaves”
    - Jack Handy

Thread Information