Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoking While Driving

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Default Smoking While Driving

So far this morning I'm ahead of schedule. Suitcase is packed, I'm showered and only have to put away the laptop, check out and load up the car before meetings start and then a 6 hour drive home.

I just checked in my Cigar Caddy to see what I'd brought as I couldn't remember.

For thr ride home I have an Oliva Ser V Lancero, a VSG Wizard, a Monte #2 and a H. Upmann Mag 46. I doubt I'll smoke all 4, but 2 for sure and 3 is a possibility.

I started thinking how much I enjoy smoking while driving. It's as much time as you need of just being alone with the smoke, and letting your mind wander while keeping your eyes on the road. No phones ringing, no "Can you get this for me?", basically no interruptions. When home, no matter how good I try to schedule my time, there's anormally something or other comes up to disturb the peace & tranquility.

Anyone else find this?

Enjoy your day, I will.

Jim
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Yep, I feel the same way. Just something about a nice cigar on a trip. It just makes everything better. It keeps me busy, so I dont get tired which makes me more alert and more attentive. And it is so relaxing cruzin an smokin.
    Yay! Cigars!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    So far this morning I'm ahead of schedule. Suitcase is packed, I'm showered and only have to put away the laptop, check out and load up the car before meetings start and then a 6 hour drive home.

I just checked in my Cigar Caddy to see what I'd brought as I couldn't remember.

For thr ride home I have an Oliva Ser V Lancero, a VSG Wizard, a Monte #2 and a H. Upmann Mag 46. I doubt I'll smoke all 4, but 2 for sure and 3 is a possibility.

I started thinking how much I enjoy smoking while driving. It's as much time as you need of just being alone with the smoke, and letting your mind wander while keeping your eyes on the road. No phones ringing, no "Can you get this for me?", basically no interruptions. When home, no matter how good I try to schedule my time, there's anormally something or other comes up to disturb the peace & tranquility.

Anyone else find this?

Enjoy your day, I will.

Jim
    Got any tips or a "how to" for smoking in the car?
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

I remember getting sick to my stomach the first time I smoked while driving. You might want to stick with something a little more mild if you haven't tried it before. Plan ahead for your ash disposal, have an large ashtray or cup for the amount of ash produce by a cigar. Otherwise it will end up in your lap, or you might have to ash out the window while possibly going 70mph and it blows all over the place.

I also sometimes go out for lunch and stop by a park and enjoy a nice smoke in my truck with some music playing...so stinkin nice...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    - keep cigars/caddies out of direct sun.
    - cut cigars beforehand (when you load the caddy).
    - cutting a cigar while driving is not recommended.
    - thinner cigars can be lit (and re-lit) with the cigarette lighter in the car.
    - toasting/lighting a cigar with a lighter while driving is not recommended.
    - if you lease your car, read the fine print.
    - smoking a cigar, while driving on a road with no traffic or intersections, while listening to a baseball game, is very relaxing.
    - smoking a cigar, drinking a coffee, talking on the phone, and driving are not recommended as simultaneous activities.

Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

I travel regularly from Wichita to Tulsa on business....usually down and back same day which gives me two 3hr segments of uninterrupted smoking bliss. One to start my day with, and one to end it. I've made this drive so many times that the trip is completely stress free and I can concentrate on the smoke.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    - smoking a cigar, drinking a coffee, talking on the phone, and driving are not recommended as simultaneous activities.
    Unless, of course, you are also reading a newspaper, and eating a bowl of cereal. In a stick-shift.

But, then again, coming from a place where drive thru daquiri stores are on almost every corner, I don't necessarily feel anyone should be taking driving advice from me.

I usually smoke in the truck when I have shorter distances to drive. I can smoke all I want in the truck, but not her Jeep. So I'll smoke running errands. I agree with just about all points, but I usually pull over to the side of the road to light the cigar. I do this for two reasons: for one, I need both hands and both eyes to light it correctly. Secondly, if I don't get it right the first time, I spend the rest of the cigar "working" with it to keep it burning straight. I'd just rather do it right the first time.
    For an ashtray, I usually use the ashtray in the truck. Been thinking about putting in something where it will hold the cigar while I reach for that daquiri.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Unless, of course, you are also reading a newspaper, and eating a bowl of cereal. In a stick-shift.

But, then again, coming from a place where drive thru daquiri stores are on almost every corner, I don't necessarily feel anyone should be taking driving advice from me.

I usually smoke in the truck when I have shorter distances to drive. I can smoke all I want in the truck, but not her Jeep. So I'll smoke running errands. I agree with just about all points, but I usually pull over to the side of the road to light the cigar. I do this for two reasons: for one, I need both hands and both eyes to light it correctly. Secondly, if I don't get it right the first time, I spend the rest of the cigar "working" with it to keep it burning straight. I'd just rather do it right the first time.
    For an ashtray, I usually use the ashtray in the truck. Been thinking about putting in something where it will hold the cigar while I reach for that daquiri.

You need one of these then!

I have one in the stang since she didn't come with an ash tray.
    Yay! Cigars!

When I smoke while driving I usually grab an old water bottle and cut the top off about 1/3 of the way down and fill what's left of the bottle about 1/3 of the way with water. I use that to drop my ash in. Wet ashes are easier to control with the windows open than dry ones and having the windows open while smoking helps your car smell less like an ashtray.
    All my ex's live in Texas.

I love smoking on a long drive. The one problem I have is the wind from the cracked windows makes ash blow around. I wear a lot of suits and I have to take the suits to get cleaned more frequently from cigar ash. Cigar while listening to a ball game though - a "Nationals" pass time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuma787 View Post
    When I smoke while driving I usually grab an old water bottle and cut the top off about 1/3 of the way down and fill what's left of the bottle about 1/3 of the way with water. I use that to drop my ash in. Wet ashes are easier to control with the windows open than dry ones and having the windows open while smoking helps your car smell less like an ashtray.
    I'm telling you water is the key knightnorth.
    All my ex's live in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    On a family vacation the van broke down in the everglades of florida near dusk. Only other vehicle that far in the park was a grave diggers truck. The kind gentleman gave us a lift to the park office. We call for a tow. I got the pleasure of ridding in said tow truck. The driver had lost an arm, but still managed to drive a manual truck, smoke a cigarette and talk on the phone. Sometimes I think I would have been better off w/ the grave digger.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    For an ashtray Drew, I use a Timmy's cup in the cup holder with about 1/2" of water in the bottom. Works great.

To vent the car, I turn the fan on low with the flow going to the floor, and crack the passenger winder ~ 1" while the drivers window is closed. Both windows open or 1 down a lot is a recipe for dis-ash-ter. The Bride is always amazed how my car doesn't smell of cigar smoke, so it must work.

I will admit to once trying to ash the smoke out the window at 110 KPH. I only did it once, so use your imagination.

A few suggestions as to what to listen to above, (baseball would put me to sleep) but I prefer G 'n R, Sabbath, Rush, something like that.

I'll agree with whoever said above don't try too much at once. Phone is no issue if you have a BlueTooth or some wireless thingy, but I have seen someone with a cigarette and a coffee with a phone to their ear while trying to turn into traffic with a stick shift. Theys hould be shot & pissed on for even trying that.

Lots of good suggestions above this post too Andrew, any other questions?
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

I agree there's nothing quite like a n ice long drive with a cigar. I generally clip and light before getting going, cause I'm pretty sure that lighting while driving was in a large way responsible for some of my more canoed out smokes.

I've never really had any problems with ash, as for some reason my Ford Focus has an oversize ashtray and is situated where the wind doesn't interfere with it too bad.
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

I smoked a cigar in my car once, maybe twice, it was very enjoyable. I ride a motorcycle most of the time, and like carrying a cigar on that, I feel like I'm in a Clint Eastwood western, puffing at the stoplights.
    There's only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    To vent the car, I turn the fan on low with the flow going to the floor, and crack the passenger winder ~ 1" while the drivers window is closed. Both windows open or 1 down a lot is a recipe for dis-ash-ter. The Bride is always amazed how my car doesn't smell of cigar smoke, so it must work.
    So just a little venting keeps the car from smelling? Nice. I tried smoking one time in my Jeep and the interior smelled for a long time. It was also a cheap cigar, which did not help matters. The chance of residual smell is what keeps me from smoking in the car currently. My wife would not be happy about riding in my car if it smelled like smoke. Does anyone else have suggestions for how to eliminate the odor? Shopping around, I can find products for this purpose, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a certain product that worked for them. Thanks!

How can you concentrate on a cigar while driving? Can't imagine for myself. Will you derive pleasure from it or just excercising the idea?

Irish - Yes, that is my experience. Others may vary, but my better half would be sure to let me know if she smelled cigar in either of the cars.

Alex - I find on the open highway it's easy.

In a city where you have to be on the constant lookout for arseholes, idiots and morons, it's a different story and I don't somke.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FactoredReality View Post
    On a family vacation the van broke down in the everglades of florida near dusk. Only other vehicle that far in the park was a grave diggers truck. The kind gentleman gave us a lift to the park office. We call for a tow. I got the pleasure of ridding in said tow truck. The driver had lost an arm, but still managed to drive a manual truck, smoke a cigarette and talk on the phone. Sometimes I think I would have been better off w/ the grave digger.
    I'm reading this reply, but to me its like your sig tag is talking Hopefully nobody stated that you had a real purdy mouth.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

An average workday roundtrip commute of 2 - 2.5 hrs if it's not raining and above 60 degrees I will enjoy a smoke on the way home. I have seen several other guys frequently on my route do the same.
    Occupation Foole

Thread Information