Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

My main carry is the Glock 32 .357 sig...the one on the bottom...the Glock 33 .357 sig is my office gun.

I carry a back up Sig Sauer P238 via an ankle holster...great .380 and with the extended mag it feels great in my hand...

My bedside gun is a Springfield XD-9 with extended mag...I added a light/strobe and tactical laser to the gun (not shown)...one of the best shooting guns I've ever handled.

I have a Sig Sauer P290 in a gun case at the other side of the house...just in case.

In my Suburban I have a gun safe in my center console...I keep an Springfield XD40 and FN Five Seven handy...

I've got 3 semi-auto shotguns...FNH SLP (home), Mossberg 930 SPX (Suburban), and Benelli M2 Tactical (office)

Fun guns...Winchester MP15 and FN FS2000

The guns I take out when I'm at my cabin (besides the shotguns)...

SW 500 Magnum snub nose...makes the Taurus kick feel like a bb gun

Taurus Raging Judge Magnum...

I have a couple of other guns that I started out with in my gun safe...Sig Sauer P226, Sig Sauer P229...which are fantastic and reliable guns.
    Last edited by AMGfan; 07-12-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMGfan View Post
    My main carry is the Glock 32 .357 sig...the one on the bottom...the Glock 33 .357 sig is my office gun.

I carry a back up Sig Sauer P238 via an ankle holster...great .380 and with the extended mag it feels great in my hand...

I have a couple of other guns that I started out with in my gun safe...Sig Sauer P226, Sig Sauer P229...which are fantastic and reliable guns.
    Dude, that's quite the list! Combined with your other collections I'm actually starting to feel a twinge of jealousy here!

Are you a LEO?

Here in Canada it's impossible to get a permit to carry a concealed handgun so I've never wasted my time trying. Not that it's illegal, it's not, it's just that the powers that be will not approve anybody. Back in the 80's my older brother tried to get a permit to carry (not concealed mind you) while out bow hunting for bear. He wanted to take is .40 Magnum S&W double action revolver along as backup. He was refused. And that was for open carry in a holster. Our gun laws suck!

I like the looks of that FN 5.7 Our military used to use FN assault rifles, the C1 and C2 years back and I had opportunity to try a couple out. When they upgraded to the Colt 5.56 rifle, the market was flooded with the semi-auto only variety. In military parlance, the FN-C1...but they were sold as being an FN-FAL for whatever reason.

What do you think of the 5.7?
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I'm not a LEO. I just like to be prepared...but guns should be the LAST option in any situation, especially carrying concealed in an approved public setting.

I love to shoot the Five Seven...the recoil is minimal and accuracy is pretty phenomenal. The weight of the gun seems to be even less than the P238 .380.
    The only draw back is when I want to go to the range...the ammo is not readily available and it is expensive. I ended up stockpiling 2 cases.

The Five Seven is probably my favorite gun...the best gun I shoot with is probably the Springfield XD-9.

But the most fun I have shooting is when I take the SW 500 and Taurus to the range...the sound, recoil, and reactions I get shooting them are funny. The ammo in the SW500 is like something out of a movie...440gr...1625 fts/2580 ft.lbs...I could see how it could take down a bear.

I've taken the Taurus Judge wild hog hunting and that is a trip, too.

Jon

My bedside gun is a Springfield XD-9 with extended mag...I added a light/strobe and tactical laser to the gun (not shown)...one of the best shooting guns I've ever handled.

I have a Sig Sauer P290 in a gun case at the other side of the house...just in case.

In my Suburban I have a gun safe in my center console...I keep an Springfield XD40 and FN Five Seven handy...

I've got 3 semi-auto shotguns...FNH SLP (home), Mossberg 930 SPX (Suburban), and Benelli M2 Tactical (office)
    I know you're not LEO but you're also not doing neighborhood watch in the Sanford area, are you?

I'm not a LEO. I just like to be prepared...but guns should be the LAST option in any situation, especially carrying concealed in an approved public setting.

I love to shoot the Five Seven...the recoil is minimal and accuracy is pretty phenomenal. The weight of the gun seems to be even less than the P238 .380.
    The only draw back is when I want to go to the range...the ammo is not readily available and it is expensive. I ended up stockpiling 2 cases.

The Five Seven is probably my favorite gun...the best gun I shoot with is probably the Springfield XD-9.

But the most fun I have shooting is when I take the SW 500 and Taurus to the range...the sound, recoil, and reactions I get shooting them are funny. The ammo in the SW500 is like something out of a movie...440gr...1625 fts/2580 ft.lbs...I could see how it could take down a bear.

I've taken the Taurus Judge wild hog hunting and that is a trip, too.

Jon
    I like how you think! A gun should always be the VERY last resort. If I could, I would get a permit to carry concealed. Not because I'm a powertripping tool, or a guy with a very small penis trying to compensate. But simply because "having one and not needing it is better than needing it and not having it"

I'd love to try that 5.7 myself. I have a funny feeling they'd be hard to get up here in Canada. If they're allowed at all. I may have to look into it. As for ammo, keep your brass and by some reloading equipment! I'm guessing that ammo isn't cheap but I wager you can get bullets and probably even the brass fairly inexpensively (in comparison). That 500 looks like a riot too...and I wager it's quite accurate at ranges most handguns would be useless.

6. Default

A salty old gunny once told me, "Never get into a gun fight with anything that doesn't say .45." I thought it was good advice.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Doc...I've found that the .357 sig recoil to be a bit snappier vs. the .45 but not something I can't handle. As far as ballistics, both are great rounds but I believe the the .357 sig round has more penetrating power...esp. through light metal.

I plan to get a SW M&P .45 so I guess I'll be able to give you a more personal review side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    I like how you think! A gun should always be the VERY last resort. If I could, I would get a permit to carry concealed. Not because I'm a powertripping tool, or a guy with a very small penis trying to compensate. But simply because "having one and not needing it is better than needing it and not having it"

I'd love to try that 5.7 myself. I have a funny feeling they'd be hard to get up here in Canada. If they're allowed at all. I may have to look into it. As for ammo, keep your brass and by some reloading equipment! I'm guessing that ammo isn't cheap but I wager you can get bullets and probably even the brass fairly inexpensively (in comparison). That 500 looks like a riot too...and I wager it's quite accurate at ranges most handguns would be useless.
    I've heard repeatedly, "I'd much rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Perhaps we should ask Mr. Zimmerman if he supports that mantra.

I carried one around for more than 30 years - damn near everywhere I went. And quite frankly - it was much more trouble than it ever got me out of....

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    A salty old gunny once told me, "Never get into a gun fight with anything that doesn't say .45." I thought it was good advice.
    Doc
    My favorite handgun by far is the 1911 .45 acp. I only own one at the moment but I plan on owning more.

Doc...I've found that the .357 sig recoil to be a bit snappier vs. the .45 but not something I can't handle. As far as ballistics, both are great rounds but I believe the the .357 sig round has more penetrating power...esp. through light metal.

I plan to get a SW M&P .45 so I guess I'll be able to give you a more personal review side by side.
    My good friend and hunting partner has a nice S&W double action .38/.357 I've found the recoil on it to be no worse than my .45 even with maxed out magnum rounds. It does have more pentrating power than my .45 At least, it leaves dents in his iron dinger targets whereas mine won't dent it. Mind you, I'm buying/using reloads with lead semi wadcutter bullets. Still, the .357 would penetrate better. Whether it's a .45 acp or a .357 magnum, if it his something, it's going down. You can't say the same about a .38 or 9mm

I've always maintained accuracy is more important that power. I don't care if you're using a Wildey .475 magnum or a .44 magnum AutoMag, if you can't hit what you're aiming at, you might as well be throwing the gun. I hunt a lot and without bragging I can honestly say I'm a damn fine shot with a rifle. I took my first elk with a 500 yard double lung shot. I'm a decent shot with a handgun too and can hit an 8" dinger target 7 out of 8 shots consistenly at 50 yards. I rarely miss at 25. I try to get out as often as possible to the range because practice makes perfect and I find it's a great stress relief. For just plain "fun to use" and accurate though, I do love my rugger .22's The Mark III hunter is a dream and I can rapid fire 10 in about 2 seconds and get 10 for 10 on an 8" dinger pretty much every time. If you flat out enjoy shooting, you should try one sometime, I'd wager you would really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I've heard repeatedly, "I'd much rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Perhaps we should ask Mr. Zimmerman if he supports that mantra.

I carried one around for more than 30 years - damn near everywhere I went. And quite frankly - it was much more trouble than it ever got me out of....
    I also believe it's better to be judged by 12.

When you say "it was more trouble than it ever got me out of" what exactly are you referring to..........if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    I also believe it's better to be judged by 12.

When you say "it was more trouble than it ever got me out of" what exactly are you referring to..........if you don't mind me asking?
    I really do not want to turn third into a heated discussion about concealed carry, but you've asked about my personal experiences.

until you're in a position to be judged by 12 - that seems like a very reasonable theory. Once you're in the process of being judged by 12, life goes to hell. And - usually you have a heck of a lot of media attention which just further amplifies the hell... right, wrong or draw - every situation I've seen where someone defends themselves with a concealed carry suffers some sort of fall out. Some worse than others. I think of the Sanford, FL situation is one of the defining cases of a a persons "need" to carry a weapon and that situation going awry... Did Trayvon Martin deserve to die? And does George Zimmerman deserve the treatment he's receiving now. Don't answer please - just think about the impact in both those young persons lives due to that confrontation when only one of the two was carrying a firearm.

I'm not quite sure how it is elsewhere, but where I live there are not many folks that carry concealed weapons.. Time and time again I had to justify for others my carrying a gun. Sometimes that experience was not very pleasant despite the fact I was a LEO. There were times I had to surrender or store my weapon when I was with family a long way from home - worry it was not going to be stolen - or give up attending some public event because I was armed.

I never tried to "sneak" my weapon anywhere and always declared if necessary. Countless times the hassle of that act alone would test my will to "sneak" the gun into events. The folks that saw my gun and called police to "check" me out. Challenges from folks who did not like the fact I was carrying a gun. I haven't carried concealed since I retired despite the fact I am lawfully able to.

We were not permitted to carry a weapon off-duty if we were drinking or in a liquor establishment by departmental policy. I believe there's a doggone good reason for that and I worked hard to comply with that policy. But think about that for a moment. Imagine you're out with friends at some event (e.g. Playing a friendly baseball game) and they spontaneously want to go out for drinks afterwards...

During the 30+ years I carried concealed I NEVER was in a situation to have to use it. Then again - I worked hard to avoid situations where I would need to use it. My thought was - if I'm truly doing my job, I'm not trying to create a situation. I can only think about a handful of total times when I was off duty and in neighborhoods where it was a good idea for me to be armed. And - those situations were related to my secondary employment (crash reconstruction consulting).

Bottom line - I guess I really never thought it was "cool" to carry a gun. I did so because it was a necessaey part of my job. Towards the end of my careers I rarely carried a weapon except while on-duty - it just did not feel to me like it was necessary...

Btw - please don't read my viewpoint wrong. I enjoy shooting firearms. I was a competitive shooter for a time. I constantly practiced and trained. I was completely serious about my responsibility of being the best I could be with the weapon i was carrying so that if I did need to use it, I was prepared.

But - further - I also was heavily involved in self defense classes. I trained to be in a position to NOT have to use the gun if there was an opportunity to avoid it. And - I even focused a large portion of that self defense training on dealing with edged weapons or blunt instruments (e.g. Baseball bates, batons, etc) so if I was attacked I would not automatically need to go to a gun to neutralize the threat.

Fwiw - from my viewpoint If you're serious about defending yourself with a gun - you REALLY need to be able to defend yourself without one. And - if you're going to carry it you have a responsibility to ensure you are very well trained.

Blog Entries

Thank-you.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Thank-you.
    For what?! I only did it because chicks dig a guy in a uniform...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    For what?! I only did it because chicks dig a guy in a uniform...
    I think he was saying "thank you" for a great post. If not, I'm saying that now.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I think he was saying "thank you" for a great post. If not, I'm saying that now.
    Oh - thanks. But I'm still sticking to my "chicks dig guys in a uniform..." Schtick...

16. Default

Really? Chicks have always a had an affinity for my gun.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    Really? Chicks have always a had an affinity for my gun.

Doc
    Doc - I believe that is wholly dependent on the "caliber" of the man you are...

Default First EDC?

I have been looking at buying a pistol for home defense/EDC recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by kmandudeguy View Post
    I have been looking at buying a pistol for home defense/EDC recommendations?
    XD-9 Sub compact with laser/strobe attachment (my bedside gun...it goes back in the gun safe anytime else)
    FNH SLP semi-auto shotgun (in my gun safe)...or just plain old trusty Winchester 870 pump action...

Blog Entries

My EDC was a Citadel 3.5" 1911. A little heavy, but nice and slim and easily concealable compared to my full sized M&P. That reminds me, I need to renew my permit sometime.

Thread Information