Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

If my wife had just given me her 380 this would not have happened.

She found the receipt where I went today so I am already busted but I think I will wait a month or so to pick it up just to keep form ticking her off any more than I have to.

Now I need a new long gun, I like to have a pistol for every long gun and now I am at 7 hand guns and only 6 long guns.
    I am still itching for a old mosin nagant but I know better than to try and sneak it in the house any time in the near future "she knows my hiding spots".

Well I may push my luck she did not say no more guns or anything like that, I got off easy.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    If my wife had just given me her 380 this would not have happened.

She found the receipt where I went today so I am already busted but I think I will wait a month or so to pick it up just to keep form ticking her off any more than I have to.

Now I need a new long gun, I like to have a pistol for every long gun and now I am at 7 hand guns and only 6 long guns.
    I am still itching for a old mosin nagant but I know better than to try and sneak it in the house any time in the near future "she knows my hiding spots".

Well I may push my luck she did not say no more guns or anything like that, I got off easy.
    Good thing the DE split check arrived first...
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Good thing the DE split check arrived first...
    I get busted way to easy I forget she handles all the bills and sending checks.

I get busted way to easy I forget she handles all the bills and sending checks.

My wife knows my addictions and allows me to feed them without complaint. It's worth noting though that a new gun purchase on my part is usually followed immediately by her purchasing some more pottery (she's a collector) and at odd times, another display cabinet. Oddly enough, 3 boxes containing pottery arrived just two days ago.....

There's always a price...............LOL
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I am off the shit list with my wife
    She wanted me to get her up a new camera to watch her cats when not at home so I did that and she is happy again.
    I am not pushing my luck and getting a new rifle this month ill wait a few months so she don't get ticked again.
    Man trying to behave sucks I passed up a deal on a 22 mag bolt action I really wanted.
    I am even waiting to get my 380 out of the shop just so she forgets

Tomorrow I am back to reloading 9mm only because the tumbler is full of 300+ cases that are clean and need to get used up so I can clean some 223 and 45.
    I got a Dillon super swage 600 in the mail today also so I need to mount it to my loading table and test it out.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 01-10-2014 at 11:46 PM.

I am off the shit list with my wife
    She wanted me to get her up a new camera to watch her cats when not at home so I did that and she is happy again.
    I am not pushing my luck and getting a new rifle this month ill wait a few months so she don't get ticked again.
    Man trying to behave sucks I passed up a deal on a 22 mag bolt action I really wanted.
    I am even waiting to get my 380 out of the shop just so she forgets

Tomorrow I am back to reloading 9mm only because the tumbler is full of 300+ cases that are clean and need to get used up so I can clean some 223 and 45.
    I got a Dillon super swage 600 in the mail today also so I need to mount it to my loading table and test it out.

I'm glad you're back on her good side!

I was talking to one of the exec's from our gun club the other day (he runs the handgun/rifle range) and he's a reloader and of course has all the necessary equipment and experience. He's willing to help me not only learn how to reload the right way, but he'll also let me use his equipment once I've got a handle on things to fill all those empty brass I've been saving for years.

I'm going to have to ask him if he enjoys a good cigar...

CptnBlues63 having some one to teach you the right way is what I would recommend.

Never trust anyone else's reloads unless you really trust that person and know they are not a idiot.
    I tend to load on the conservative side lighter loads.
    always do your own research on load data and double check when using other peoples data.

Todays load data for 9mm was
    115 grain plated round nose bullets
    4.6 grains of Red DOT, its a little hot for my taste but will cycle better in my 9mm.
    CCI small pistol primers

My arm is sore now I loaded over 300 rounds on a turret press that was 1200+ pulls on the handle
    I hope to be loading 45 acp tomorrow depending on the case prep how long it takes.

CptnBlues63 having some one to teach you the right way is what I would recommend.

Never trust anyone else's reloads unless you really trust that person and know they are not a idiot.
    I tend to load on the conservative side lighter loads.
    always do your own research on load data and double check when using other peoples data.

Todays load data for 9mm was
    115 grain plated round nose bullets
    4.6 grains of Red DOT, its a little hot for my taste but will cycle better in my 9mm.
    CCI small pistol primers

My arm is sore now I loaded over 300 rounds on a turret press that was 1200+ pulls on the handle
    I hope to be loading 45 acp tomorrow depending on the case prep how long it takes.
    I thought getting taught was the best way. Like most anything else, there is a lot to know and from the reading I've done already there are plenty of wrong ways to do things and this is way too dangerous to not get someone experienced to show me.

I'm sure eventually I'll invest in my own reloading equipment but for this year, it'd be nice to just use someone else's and load all my empty brass.

If I lived anywhere near you, I'd happily give you a hand....and when were done, we could kick back and have a good cigar!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    I thought getting taught was the best way. Like most anything else, there is a lot to know and from the reading I've done already there are plenty of wrong ways to do things and this is way too dangerous to not get someone experienced to show me.

I'm sure eventually I'll invest in my own reloading equipment but for this year, it'd be nice to just use someone else's and load all my empty brass.

If I lived anywhere near you, I'd happily give you a hand....and when were done, we could kick back and have a good cigar!
    I was never taught, it would of helped, but I figured it out. I had 3 reloading books before I bought any equipment. I read the front section of the manuals but still didn't start reloading until after I broke my back. Having lots of free time healing up, not working, gave me the jump start to reload. I read everything I could about reloading then everything I could find about handloading match grade ammo for long range target competitions. When I can afford to, I upgrade equipment to speed thing up. The next few things on the list are giraud case trimmer and annealer. Reloading is a whole new hobby, it can take over very quickly.

"Annealer" this interests me due to 300 blackout I make.
    I was not aware of a machine to make it easier.

I just use a gas torch from home depo and heat the end till it is almost pink then let cool.
    I can only do so many at a time and if they made a way to speed it up im interested.

CptnBlues63 its not really that dangerous I am self taught also.

I am still learning even after messing with it on and off for 25 years every time I change calibers it's a new load to research and work with to get it where I want it.

I started back in 1984 with a lee hand loader the ones where you used a hammer to build your shell and that worked well for me when I was only loading 10 to 20 rounds.

I just picked up one of the old hand loaders the other day for 38 special, for some reason I still like the simple tools.
    I have a hand press that I use at the range but I still get a kick out watching others faces when you start pounding on a bullet

12. Default

"Annealer" this interests me due to 300 blackout I make.
    I was not aware of a machine to make it easier.

I just use a gas torch from home depo and heat the end till it is almost pink then let cool.
    I can only do so many at a time and if they made a way to speed it up im interested.
    Check this bad boy out.
    http://www.giraudtool.com/annealer1.htm

13. Default

CptnBlues63 its not really that dangerous I am self taught also.

I am still learning even after messing with it on and off for 25 years every time I change calibers it's a new load to research and work with to get it where I want it.

I started back in 1984 with a lee hand loader the ones where you used a hammer to build your shell and that worked well for me when I was only loading 10 to 20 rounds.

I just picked up one of the old hand loaders the other day for 38 special, for some reason I still like the simple tools.
    I have a hand press that I use at the range but I still get a kick out watching others faces when you start pounding on a bullet
    You have been at this for quite a while longer than me. :) I was born in 84.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
    You have been at this for quite a while longer than me. :) I was born in 84.
    Its been on and off for me.
    Started with 30/30 stopped loading for a few years them moved to 20 gauge shot shells for a few years took a break.

On and off like that till this last ammo shortage then I decided to start reloading every caliber I have but 22 to be able to shoot still.

What started me in to reloading was I was at a range and a guy saw me struggling to stay on target with my 30/30 so he placed my gun in a shooters vice to show me it was not me it was the ammo or the gun.
    Hunting down match grade ammo was a pain in the but and expansive so I started making my own for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
    I was never taught, it would of helped, but I figured it out. I had 3 reloading books before I bought any equipment. I read the front section of the manuals but still didn't start reloading until after I broke my back. Having lots of free time healing up, not working, gave me the jump start to reload. I read everything I could about reloading then everything I could find about handloading match grade ammo for long range target competitions. When I can afford to, I upgrade equipment to speed thing up. The next few things on the list are giraud case trimmer and annealer. Reloading is a whole new hobby, it can take over very quickly.
    That's the biggest thing stopping me from getting into it right now

To be brutally honest, I tend to get obsessive about stuff (like cigars) and go a little off the deep end once I get involved. So in truth, I'm pretty sure I can figure everything out on my own with a lot of research and reading online to start with. But if I buy the equipment, sure as hell I'll be buying more, and more and more. I already have enough hobbies that take up my time and wifey likes to hang with me and make me do annoying yard and house stuff which seriously impedes range and hobby time.

Luckily I can smoke a cigar while at the range or out fishing. I won't be doing that while reloading..........LOL

But seriously, if this works out with the guy from the range, I may never buy equipment. As it stands, I have enough .308 brass to make a couple years worth of target/hunting ammo. I have a couple thousand .45 acp's and that would make a full summer's worth of shooting. So, if he's cool with it. I'll buy the supplies and once a year, go to town on his equipment.

We shall see.

My hunting partner keeps talking about getting into reloading and he has the time (he retired last year) and the room (a huge shop with 15' ceilings) whereas I'm short on both.

1984........I was partying hearty and chasing chicks on my Softtail. Between that and work, I had little to no time for much of anything else.........

I am officially back on gun restriction.
    I just had to get that marlin 22 mag bolt action rifle I could not pass it up.

Now I defiantly have to wait till she is not mad at me to get my 380 out of layaway.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 01-16-2014 at 05:04 PM.

I am officially back on gun restriction.
    I just had to get at marlin 22 mag bolt action rifle I could not pass it up.

Now I defiantly have to wait till she is not mad at me to get my 380 out of layaway.

You've been a bad boy!

Now go to your room and make 1000 rounds of the caliber of gun you most like to shoot

I am getting good at this ending up in the dog house.

Well I found a way to get back on her good side I volunteered to go pick her mom up in Asheville NC Saturday.
    What she don't know is I have to drive right past palmetto state armory I just have to stop in and see if anything wants to follows me home.

I can see it now I will be off gun restriction for a total of 8 hrs that it takes me to drive up and back.
    This is not going to end well for me.

19. Default

My Christmas present finally showed up today after a month and a half.

Having the scope now, I finished my AR project that I have been waiting a year to shoot.

Time to load up some 75gr A maxes and see how she shoots.

Nice rifle Stoopy can I play with it?

I was looking at a new lower today on my way to NC and some how did not get one, that little voce in the back o f my mind "the wife" told me not to push my luck.

That hand guard is cool on next build I may get one similar to it.

Thread Information