Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

When I redid my Savage stock I cheated and sanded the old finish off. I didn't remove enough wood to matter through the process (I was careful) so the finished product looked decent. Oh, and I didn't sand in any of the tooled areas. Just very carefully around the edges. Here's some pic's:

Before:

and after:

The last picture showing the two rifles gives you a comparison. The top rifle was in basically "new" condition when I bought it. Not a ding, dent or scratch in the stock and I doubt it had fired 20 rounds before coming to me.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I wish i could save the stock but it has new wood added to replace parts that were damaged.

I may try a really dark stain to cover it up the best i can and i decided to use a flat black heat paint on the metal 'from what i can tell they were painted before" i cant find any blueing on it. "yes i have some cold blue but i dont think ill use it".

No way can i bring this gun back to original shape i gave up on that idea when i was breaking it down.
    Now i just want to make it useable and not be gold colored.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Painted all the metal today it turned out good, but time will tell how well the heat paint holds up.
    Spent the better part of the morning cleaning up the screws to make them usable again.

On a side note don't smoke a cigar when usieng paint striper. i got a good buzz but did not blow my self up so all is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Painted all the metal today it turned out good, but time will tell how well the heat paint holds up.
    Spent the better part of the morning cleaning up the screws to make them usable again.

On a side note don't smoke a cigar when usieng paint striper. i got a good buzz but did not blow my self up so all is good.
    That's good advice, I'll take it.

LOL

I was staining two willow walking sticks my wife had stashed somewhere this weekend and stained while puffing on a cigar. Luckily it wasn't as caustic as what you were working with and only took me a few minutes per stick so it's all good.

From the sounds of it, what you're doing should look great when it's done. Using a dark stain or color will hide lots of imperfections and differences in wood. Plus it should look great with that heat paint. Kind of like a modern gun with synthetic stock. I'm definitely looking forward to the before & after pics.

Ok i finally got off my ass and went to PSA to get a lower, its only a 98 mile drive so it is easier to just go pick them up than play the mail game/transfer fee crap.

Well that didn't turn out like i was thinking i had to walk out with 2 lowers they were on sale for $49.
    Now i need to start thinking of a new build. Maybe a pistol AR or a 7.62.

This last build came in right at $500

As for the enfield i am working on i picked up some dark walnut stain that is not to dark so it will not look like the gun is black. I looked at a stain called ebony and that was to dark almost black.

If i can find the bluetooth thing for my computer ill up some pictures off the phone.

Other than the new lowers i picked up some 380 ammo, AR magazines and reloading supplies.

Ok i had to email the photos from my phone can't find the bluetooth thing.
    This is what i started with ill take some pictures when i finish the stock.
    It had 45 years of crud in the receiver and 2 coats of paint on it when i started.

Last edited by Mangyrat; 07-10-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Man, that was one dirty rifle!

I can't wait to see the finished product.

8. Default

That was one nasty rifle Mangyrat. I bet it will look great when you get it all finished.

Started staining it this morning, I am thinking it is 2 different kind's of wood the but stock is a darker wood than the rest.

I was going to darken it up a lot but for some reason i like it like it used to look "other than the gold" so im trying to go back to that look for the stock.
    Do i need to have some kind of clear coat to seal it?

I need to finish this rifle so i can make a range trip for it and the new AR i built last night.

Bought my sons first AR build. Its in .22 and shoots very good for an old man like me. He done a fine job. Cant wait to get my 13 year old nephew this weekend and blow through about 500 shells. He will have a blast.
    May your ashes be long and your smoke be plentiful...

Started staining it this morning, I am thinking it is 2 different kind's of wood the but stock is a darker wood than the rest.

I was going to darken it up a lot but for some reason i like it like it used to look "other than the gold" so im trying to go back to that look for the stock.
    Do i need to have some kind of clear coat to seal it?

I need to finish this rifle so i can make a range trip for it and the new AR i built last night.
    Well, that Tru-Oil kit I bought came with stain and then a clear coat. If I remember correctly, I put several layers of the clear coat on.

I'm not sure what else a guy could use but I think you'd want to put something on to seal it after staining.

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Well, that Tru-Oil kit I bought came with stain and then a clear coat. If I remember correctly, I put several layers of the clear coat on.

I'm not sure what else a guy could use but I think you'd want to put something on to seal it after staining.
    I sealed it with a flat coat to keep that rustic look.
    Ill up some pictures from the phone in a min.

New AR build for $491 that includes the sling, rear folding sight and 3 magazines. Tax put it just over $520.
    I used PSA daily deals and discount codes they sent me to keep the price down.

This is how im keeping the enfeild, not as good as i had wished but it will work.

Last edited by Mangyrat; 07-11-2014 at 06:07 PM.

I forgot to add i am back on gun restriction again.
    So the next AR build will have to wait till she forgets about the Palmetto State Armory trip i just made.
    That will give me time to decide what to do with the extra lower receiver i picked up.

I may have to get a safe or new gun cabinet mine is full now, but i think i have room for a few more handguns so i may pick up a few of them befor i build a AR for a truck gun.

I forgot to add i am back on gun restriction again.
    So the next AR build will have to wait till she forgets about the Palmetto State Armory trip i just made.
    That will give me time to decide what to do with the extra lower receiver i picked up.

I may have to get a safe or new gun cabinet mine is full now, but i think i have room for a few more handguns so i may pick up a few of them befor i build a AR for a truck gun.
    LOL Damn, that's harsh.....I feel for you!

I liked he pic's and you're right it looks like the butt and the rest of the stock are different woods. But it looks great, you did excellent work. They may not have as much range as a lot of other rifles but the .303 hits real hard and those Enfield's are classics.

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    LOL Damn, that's harsh.....I feel for you!

I liked he pic's and you're right it looks like the butt and the rest of the stock are different woods. But it looks great, you did excellent work. They may not have as much range as a lot of other rifles but the .303 hits real hard and those Enfield's are classics.
    It is chambered in 7.62x51 same as 308 matter fact you can fire 308 out of it just like you can fire 5.56 in a 223 chamber its just not recommended.

I am getting old and my eyesight is going to hell so if its good at 100 yards with iron sights i am happy. "can't see where i am hitting much past 75 yards with bifocals and no scope".
    I need to find a sling and the rear sight guard that is missing to complete it.
    Well i spent the rest of the day cleaning all my guns, 17 guns takes a few hrs
    I did find that i still need to do some work to my Ruger p89 i want to put in a P95 trigger in it to take some of the long pull out of it when firing double action "one more project i forgot about"

Now i am kicked back with a oliva master blend 3 and some spiced rum.

It is chambered in 7.62x51 same as 308 matter fact you can fire 308 out of it just like you can fire 5.56 in a 223 chamber its just not recommended.

I am getting old and my eyesight is going to hell so if its good at 100 yards with iron sights i am happy. "can't see where i am hitting much past 75 yards with bifocals and no scope".
    I need to find a sling and the rear sight guard that is missing to complete it.
    Well i spent the rest of the day cleaning all my guns, 17 guns takes a few hrs
    I did find that i still need to do some work to my Ruger p89 i want to put in a P95 trigger in it to take some of the long pull out of it when firing double action "one more project i forgot about"

Now i am kicked back with a oliva master blend 3 and some spiced rum.

MMmmm...........Master Blend 3 - I've had a few of those and liked them a lot. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for more!

It should be easy enough to find your parts. There are such a large number of Enfield's around. I like that it's a .308 That's a better all-around cartridge and gives you some more distance than the .303 It might not have the wallop of a .303 when it gets to it's target but like any other cartridge, if you put it in the right place, the deer/moose/elk is dead.

I need to get to the range again and dirty my guns some more. The wife had a whole list of yard crap for me to do this past weekend and I never got a chance. I have one more major project (reroof my shed) and then the yard work for this year should me all done and then I can log some serious range time.

Picked up a 1000 round case of cheap 223 now i need to get to the range and break in the new AR.
    I just didn't want to waste some good hand loads while breaking it in with iron sights.

This time i am going to skip getting a scope and go with a red dot after i get the iron sights sighted in and put a few hundred rounds through it.
    I still haven't decided on my next build i kind of want to do a pistol AR.

Ordered the lower parts for my next build so im left with the upper parts i need to decide on now.
    I think i'll build one more plane jane AR just to have a extra.

Made it to the range this past weekend. Below is an example of what my Remington 700 is capable of at 100 yards.

Seems I always have one "throw away" shot but considering the squares are 1", the wild shot was still within 1" of the others. It's worth noting this was freehand. I don't use the lead sled once sighted in. Needless to say I'm pleased. My best grouping at 200 was inside of 2" I'm no sniper and I don't compete but I do want to be able to hit what I'm aiming at and be sure of a clean (ethical) kill at whatever distance. My hunting partner's dad always said, "If you can hit a pie plate at whatever distance, you'll put meat in the freezer" lol So far I've been able to and that 495 yard shot last fall on that buck was only made possible because I bought an excellent scope with a ballistic turret, and I practice lots.

I'm waiting for it to cool down some (late Sept, Oct) to get out and do some shooting up to 600 yards to ensure everything is good before hunting season starts.

Last edited by CptnBlues63; 08-07-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: fixin' typo's. Damn smartphone!

Thread Information