Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    I meant to ask you earlier about your 1911 but forgot. I had feed issues with my 1911 similar to what you describe above. When it happened, I would just pull the slide back a fraction and the round would feed. My 1911 is a Para Ordnance GI Expert. If you have the same handgun, contact Para Ordnance. I did and they had me send it in for warranty work. The extractor was replaced and something with the firing pin assembly (I forget what now, this was like, last April). The gun works perfectly now.

FWIW, I only had the feed issues with factory "ball" ammo. I buy a lot of reloaded ammo that uses semi wad cutter leads and those fed perfectly. Since the repair, I bought 500 rounds of ball reloads and haven't had a single feed issues.
    Mine is a Citadel 3.5" model. I've fired all kinds of rounds through without any problems until that day with Wolf steel case. With the problems the rest of the guns were having, I'm betting it was a mix of weather and not enough lubrication. I guess I'l just have to get back out to the range to verify that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    Mine is a Citadel 3.5" model. I've fired all kinds of rounds through without any problems until that day with Wolf steel case. With the problems the rest of the guns were having, I'm betting it was a mix of weather and not enough lubrication. I guess I'l just have to get back out to the range to verify that.
    I'd bet on weather too then. I remember last year right around this time (late Oct) my one hunting partner came up to shoot and I took the pistols along and both my 1911 and my Ruger Mark III Hunter were not cycling rounds correctly. It was both humid and very cool that day and I know that was why rounds weren't cycling correctly.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

So, since I leave right of the interstate in Meth county USA, and after talking to some of the local cops, I decided to get a pistol light for my M&P. Ended up getting the TLR1 by streamlight. Damn this thing is bright! I read some reviews that if you have light walls, all those lumens will just bounce back at you and blind you as well. Luckily I have brown walls so that isn't a problem, but after playing with it at my parents house this weekend, I can confirm that white walls are blinding. Anyway, I also had a Burris Fast Fire 3 on my AR. When I bought it, I didn't realize that it was a mini red dot sight. So, I bought a riser and tried to make it work, but the glass is just too small. So I got the adapter and installed it on my M&P tonight. I'll have to play around at the range a bit with it, but so far I am happy with it.

So, since I leave right of the interstate in Meth county USA, and after talking to some of the local cops, I decided to get a pistol light for my M&P. Ended up getting the TLR1 by streamlight. Damn this thing is bright! I read some reviews that if you have light walls, all those lumens will just bounce back at you and blind you as well. Luckily I have brown walls so that isn't a problem, but after playing with it at my parents house this weekend, I can confirm that white walls are blinding. Anyway, I also had a Burris Fast Fire 3 on my AR. When I bought it, I didn't realize that it was a mini red dot sight. So, I bought a riser and tried to make it work, but the glass is just too small. So I got the adapter and installed it on my M&P tonight. I'll have to play around at the range a bit with it, but so far I am happy with it.

Nice Eville! That thing is "pimped out"! Don't take this the wrong way, as I certainly respect your weapon choices, and attachments thereto, as the best weapon for you is the one you feel most comfortable with, but I much prefer a shotgun for home defense (for obvious reasons), and tend to like my handguns bone-stock, without any attachments that will hinder my draw speed and deployment time. But to each his own. That M&P will serve its intended "home defense" purpose well, as long as that Burris rifle sight doesn't change the weight of the slide enough to affect the weapon's reliable function, and the slide-mounted application of the sight doesn't affect its zero-holding capability (due to the agressive bi-directional recoil environment it is subjected to, being mounted to the slide of a handgun). I'd cross my fingers, and give it plenty of range time before trusting it with my life... But it'll be cool for sure, if everything works out and it passes the test of time! Good luck, and let me know how it holds up to a couple hundred rounds of test-fire!
    "I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time." ~ Mark Twain

"Internet quotes are always 100% accurate." ~ Abraham Lincoln

5. Default

I've been back from my hunting trip for a week now. I didn't get anything but I had a great time anyway. We camped at 10,700 feet of elevation. The lack of oxygen was kicking my ass. I felt like I could never catch my breath. I was even having a hard time breathing while eating. Here's some pics from the trip.

Me on my trusty steed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415113320.570663.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	3871

Our pack mules on the way over the pass

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415113357.490971.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	3872

The area we hunted

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415113409.115370.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	3873

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415113423.749830.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	3874

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415113438.569114.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	3875

We only saw one buck and it was on the last day. We tried to get him but he gave us the slip. Getting a buck next time will make it that much more satisfying.

First off, nice pics Stoopy Thanks for sharing! I would love a trip like yours......although I could do without wearing the strip of skin off my tailbone I always lose when riding a horse for the first time in years. Lovely country! Sorry you didn't have any luck. Maybe next year.

So far I haven't had any luck either.....but I'm still working on it locally. It was too warm where we go to hunt and barely dropped below freezing overnight. During the day it was well above freezing and we had no snow. On the very last day we hunted, the weather changed and a cold front and snow came in. I almost got a poke at an elk but the herd we saw about an hour before sunset were 700+ yards away and I couldn't get any closer. Had they been 600 yards (or closer) I'd now have elk in my freezer.

As it is, my hunting partner's son nailed a gorgeous bull moose. Rough measure is around 44" wide. He weighed about 900 lb's hanging after being dressed and skinned. I had some for supper last night and he was very tasty! LOL

My one other hunting partner, Terry, wanted to take his grandson Brandon up for a day and the two came up last Friday night and spent the night so we could get an early start the next morning. Brandon has come up to the range with us several times this past summer and was very excited about getting to come along even though he wasn't actually going to be hunting this time. I had a poke at a nice whitetail buck early in the morning and I'm not sure what happened but I missed! It was 400 yards and he was standing just on the edge of the bush so there was no chance for a second shot. Terry asked me shortly afterwards, "Problem with the gun or scope?" I said, "Nope, problem with the shooter, gun and scope are fine" He thought it might be buck fever but it wasn't. I missed. First time in.........well pretty much forever. But, season doesn't end until the end of November so I'll be going out again and hope to put at least two whitey's in the freezer. Terry did fine that evening and dropped a real nice 4x4 (8 pointer to you guys down south........lol) about 45 min's before sunset. The following is a pic of him and Brandon posing with the deer.

My wife and I started a web site some years back and if anybody is interested, you can go look at all my hunting pic's from previous years just PM me and I'll email you the URL and password.

Oh, it snowed like a bugger the night before we left and continued on all day the next day. A 500 km (300 m) trip that normally takes about 5 hours took almost 7 hours. I was quite happy to make it home that day as it looked like we might not a few times that morning before we hit roads that had actually had a snow plow over them before we got there.
    Last edited by CptnBlues63; 11-17-2014 at 11:37 AM.

I have been kind of lazy lately and not keeping up with the forum.

Well i added a few more guns to the collection.
    Browning sweet sixteen.
    8.5 inch AR15 pistol build 300 AAC. "my new favorite toy".
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

How are the AR pistols to shoot? I always thought they wouldn't be that nice. I updated my AR yesterday. Put a Primary Arms 4-14x and a harris bipod on it. I decided the extra weith from the piston system didn't make it a very good short range rifle, so I'm going for longer ranges now.

9. Default

How are the AR pistols to shoot? I always thought they wouldn't be that nice. I updated my AR yesterday. Put a Primary Arms 4-14x and a harris bipod on it. I decided the extra weith from the piston system didn't make it a very good short range rifle, so I'm going for longer ranges now.
    Now that's an AR I could get behind. Very nice build.

Well all i can tell you is its hard as hell to wipe the grin off my face when im shooting it.
    It has some drawbacks, think of your AR going off 8 inches in front of your face its loud as @#$* and you get some blowback from the charging handle area. They also run dirty i think it has to do with the pistol gas tube and over pressure.

If you are thinking of building one then do it in 300AAC and have your mind set on 100 yard shots, it is fairly accurate at 100 for such a short weapon and will be ok at 300 yards but anything over that i would not even try to hit.

Mine is not scoped it now has a cheap red dot that i wanted to test out and see if it would work for me and my bifocals and it works great.
    If things work out this year this $500 toy will be a $5000 toy i am thinking suppressed and thermal that is what i had in mind when i built it just need the $ and a tax stamp to finish it.

Blog Entries

Just got back from picking up my new toy. Now I just need to get some powder, balls, and caps

Just got back from picking up my new toy. Now I just need to get some powder, balls, and caps

Ooohhh nice!

That looks a lot like my Ruger Super Single Six. But that's a .22 lr/.22 magnum...........not a cap and ball. What caliber?

Blog Entries

They list it as a .44, but in reality it takes a .457 ball. I can also get a cylinder to convert it to .45LC The grip is a little uncomfortable due to the 90* edges right behind the trigger guard, but the trigger is super crisp.

They list it as a .44, but in reality it takes a .457 ball. I can also get a cylinder to convert it to .45LC The grip is a little uncomfortable due to the 90* edges right behind the trigger guard, but the trigger is super crisp.
    Very nice!

I love the old single action "wheel guns" myself and wouldn't mind a cap and ball some day. My next pistol purchase will be another ruger single action. They make a pistol that's convertible from .45lc to .45acp And since I have a 1911, I'd prefer to get something else that also shoots .45acp

I found a guy in eastern Canada who does custom holsters and for under $250 I got a really nice hand tooled holster and belt for my Single Six which would also fit the one I want to buy eventually.

Blog Entries

I've been shooting for about 25 years now and finally got my first .22 rifle. It's a Marlin XT22 VR. The trigger on this little guy is really nice. I ordered a Nikon Prostaff 4x32 to go on top. Future plans include a little suppressor, but that will have to wait about a year before I can start my paperwork.

I have yet to own a Marlin .22 but I've always been happy with Marlin products so I have no doubt it'll be a great little rifle.

Nice gun i like bolt action 22's.

I have a Marlin Model 983T 22mag that is a great shooting rifle, I went with the Simmons .22 Mag 3-9x32mm scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Nice gun i like bolt action 22's.

I have a Marlin Model 983T 22mag that is a great shooting rifle, I went with the Simmons .22 Mag 3-9x32mm scope.
    I have an old single shot bolt .22 and my Ruger 10/22 semi auto. The Ruger has an old Bushnell 4x scope on it but I'll probably be changing that out this summer. I bought a BSA scope with ballistic turrets hoping to use it on my hunting rifle. Well, you get what you pay for in this world and that BSA scope was about $100 My Swarovski was around $1500.00 There is no comparison to the glass. Or if I were to compare, I'd say the BSA scope was like looking through the bottom of a shot glass in comparison to the Swarovski.............LOL

It might work ok on the gopher gun and if it does, I'll zero at 50 yards, and note the dope for each 25 yard change out to 200. Then I'm going to go shoot gophers...........LOL

19. Default

Look for wolf match .22 ammo. It usually shoots well out of most .22's

Blog Entries

HAHA Have fun with your gophers CPT!

My scope came in today, just waiting on the rings. In other gun related news, I think I have a problem.

Picked up a Ruger (new model) Blackhawk in .357mag today. I've been wanting a .357 for a while now and found this one for sale locally. Guy got it from his grandpa who had tried to have some parts of it chrome plated. The plating is now starting to crack off. The metal under it is good though and for $300 it'll be a great shooter. After selling my Citadel last weekend, I still came out in the black.

Thread Information