Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

1. Default

I store all my ammo under my reloading bench in ammo cans. I also have a milk crate full of lead for casting bullets that takes 2 grown men an a boy to move. You don't think about how heavy it's going to be until you have it full and try to move it.

I decided to stick with 50 cal cans lot easier to move around.

Now the wife wants me to build her a 9 mm AR pistol or i don't get my 300 black out pistol back she adopted.

This will be a interesting build she wants it painted OD green with Cat paw prints in black, green laser, holographic red and green dot with popup back up sights so they are out of her way.
    She loves the pistol builds but will not hold them near/touching her face so the laser is a must along with the red/green sight, the popups are for me when i get to shot it.

Well at least she gave me till Xmas to build it.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    I decided to stick with 50 cal cans lot easier to move around.

Now the wife wants me to build her a 9 mm AR pistol or i don't get my 300 black out pistol back she adopted.

This will be a interesting build she wants it painted OD green with Cat paw prints in black, green laser, holographic red and green dot with popup back up sights so they are out of her way.
    She loves the pistol builds but will not hold them near/touching her face so the laser is a must along with the red/green sight, the popups are for me when i get to shot it.

Well at least she gave me till Xmas to build it.

Sounds like a good deal to me....and, should leave room open for you to make more purchases in the future..............LOL.

Definitely want to see some pics of the build when you're done!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Picked up the lower,1 magazine, laser, holographic sight and pop up back up sights so far.
    $40 a mag is pricey.
    I am waiting to see if they put the 9 mm pistol build kit on sale again before i get the last parts.

So far i am only $200 in to the $700 budget for this build

After i complete it i get this toy back.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 09-12-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Picked up the lower,1 magazine, laser, holographic sight and pop up back up sights so far.
    $40 a mag is pricey.
    I am waiting to see if they put the 9 mm pistol build kit on sale again before i get the last parts.

So far i am only $200 in to the $700 budget for this build

After i complete it i get this toy back.
    Nice!

Is that a 1911 I see holstered on your desk?

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Nice!

Is that a 1911 I see holstered on your desk?
    It is a Rock Island 1911.
    It has a been a great shooter with no problems.

It is a Rock Island 1911.
    It has a been a great shooter with no problems.
    Nice!

I bought a Para Ordnance GI Expert 1911 a few years ago. It had problems with factory ammo though. It wasn't loading them properly. I had been buying a lot of reloads using semi wad cutters and those loaded just fine so I never bothered doing anything about it but then the company I was buying the reloads from had a deal on the normal round nose leads and I bought 1000. I got frustrated (no less than one jam up per magazine and sometimes 2 or 3) and called PO. They had me ship it to their repair depot here in Canada and it was fixed for free. It's a nice shooter with a smooth trigger and now that it doesn't jam on loading anymore, I've been really happy with it.

Blog Entries

I ended up selling my Citadel 3.5". I always told myself I would never sell a gun, but I rarely shot it, and when I did, I was never satisfied with the accuracy at any kind of range. I'm much happier with it's replacement. I wouldn't count out another one, but it will definitely be a full size. I'm waiting for the CMP to start selling surplus 1911s, hopefully next year.

I sold off my gun collection back in 1991 one of the many stupid things i regret doing in my life.
    Selling a gun you just don't like is not that bad of a idea, getting rid 95% of your guns on the other hand is a bad idea.

I will not be making that mistake again its not cheap now days.

I sold off my gun collection back in 1991 one of the many stupid things i regret doing in my life.
    Selling a gun you just don't like is not that bad of a idea, getting rid 95% of your guns on the other hand is a bad idea.

I will not be making that mistake again its not cheap now days.

I got rid of all my guns around 1990 shortly after my son was born. My ex wife kept freaking out continually about guns in her house and after two years or so, I caved and got rid of them. A decision I regretted instantly. It was about 15 years later I started buying guns again when I moved here and started hunting again.

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Nice!

I bought a Para Ordnance GI Expert 1911 a few years ago. It had problems with factory ammo though. It wasn't loading them properly. I had been buying a lot of reloads using semi wad cutters and those loaded just fine so I never bothered doing anything about it but then the company I was buying the reloads from had a deal on the normal round nose leads and I bought 1000. I got frustrated (no less than one jam up per magazine and sometimes 2 or 3) and called PO. They had me ship it to their repair depot here in Canada and it was fixed for free. It's a nice shooter with a smooth trigger and now that it doesn't jam on loading anymore, I've been really happy with it.

I have a old 1911 barrel somewhere that i used to use to test feed problems.
    I got the barrel form my company arms room clerk back in 1984 it was shot out and well used.

any time some one had a feed problem we swamped out the barrel and if it chambered fine we knew it was a feed ramp problem.
    Feed ramps are easy to fix with a drimel tool and polishing wheel next we used 000 steel wool and a drill at low speed on a cleaning rod/brush to polish the inside of the barrel where the case fits. total cast around $1 to fix

We rarely got issued a new 45's back in the 80's but when we did they all needed a little polishing to be reliable.

Blog Entries

Anyone have suggestions for a hunting rifle for Alaska? I want something that will be acceptable for most game from Deer up and at up to 500-600 meters. For smaller game and shorter ranges I can always use my 30-30, AR, or .22. I assume I'll be doing a lot of hiking with it for sheep, so I want it to be light. I also want stainless to stand up to the elements. It'll be seeing some rough use so I don't want anything too nice. I've been looking around and I think the Tikka T3 Lite in 300WSM fits my requirements pretty well. Do any of you guys have experience with that rifle or cartridge? Any other recommendations?

I have a old 1911 barrel somewhere that i used to use to test feed problems.
    I got the barrel form my company arms room clerk back in 1984 it was shot out and well used.

any time some one had a feed problem we swamped out the barrel and if it chambered fine we knew it was a feed ramp problem.
    Feed ramps are easy to fix with a drimel tool and polishing wheel next we used 000 steel wool and a drill at low speed on a cleaning rod/brush to polish the inside of the barrel where the case fits. total cast around $1 to fix

We rarely got issued a new 45's back in the 80's but when we did they all needed a little polishing to be reliable.
    I forget exactly what it was with my 1911 but it was a known issue repaired by the factory on their dime. I know they replaced the extractor. There was one other minor thing they did but I know they didn't polish up the feed ramp. That was actually my first thought too and I meant to do it, but then I bought 1000 rounds of these reloads that had semi wad cutters that fed perfectly so I never bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    Anyone have suggestions for a hunting rifle for Alaska? I want something that will be acceptable for most game from Deer up and at up to 500-600 meters. For smaller game and shorter ranges I can always use my 30-30, AR, or .22. I assume I'll be doing a lot of hiking with it for sheep, so I want it to be light. I also want stainless to stand up to the elements. It'll be seeing some rough use so I don't want anything too nice. I've been looking around and I think the Tikka T3 Lite in 300WSM fits my requirements pretty well. Do any of you guys have experience with that rifle or cartridge? Any other recommendations?
    Hey Eville.....just let me say, I'm jealous! I'd love to hunt Alaska and hope to one day. The moose I hunt around home here are a smaller, lighter variety than what lives up way up north and I'd really like to go after something with a monster rack some day.

I use a .308 for all my hunting. I'm using Federal Fusion 165 grain bullets and have successfully taken several elk, a bull moose and many, many deer of both varieties (whitetail and mule deer). I settled on 165 grain because I do not want to trade around in the field. My hunting partner uses 150's on deer and swaps to 180's when he is after moose. Of course, your point of impact changes when you do that. So I split the difference and have been VERY happy with the 165's. So far the longest shot I've made is 495 yards but would go out to 600 yards without worry as the ammo I'm using still has enough energy to get the job done without worry about only wounding an animal.

A couple years back I bought a nice Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 (ballistic turret) scope and I love it. I think regardless of what caliber you settle on, you definitely want to spend some serious money on good optics. There's a lot of really good equipment out there and I've had opportunity to use a Night Force (my brother's sniper rifle) my Swarovski, and last weekend, I was able to put a few down range with a really nice Trijicon. For the longer shooting you'll definitely want a ballistic turret.

I haven't hunted with a magnum but have shot a few. I know the 300 swm is a popular round and should do everything you want. I haven't ever shot a Tikka but know a lot of guys who swear by them. Me, I use a Savage 99C in .308 (I've always loved a lever action and the 99C has a removable magazine) and recently bought a Remington 700.

Hit PSA on the way to work today to pick up the rest of the 9mm pistol build.
    Hit my budget of $700, now to find the color paint she wants.
    Gun is not even assembled and i am going to paint it voiding any warranty on parts

What ever makes the wife happy.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 10-09-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Finished the 9mm build today.
    Not a color i would have picked but she likes it, just have to para cord wrap the buffer tube and add a rubber cap like on my 300aac

Last edited by Mangyrat; 10-11-2015 at 04:21 PM.

[QUOTE=Mangyrat;200370]Finished the 9mm build today.
    Not a color i would have picked but she likes it, just have to para cord wrap the buffer tube and add a rubber cap like on my 300aac

That's looking gorgeous!!!!!!

Picked up a cheap lower so ill be building a new AR again #6.
    I think ill do a 5.56 pistol build this time.

Damn building AR's is addictive.

Put my last build on hold for a while till i know exactly what i want to build.
    I am really liking the 9mm ar i built for the wife so i may build my self one.

In the mean time i picked up a little 22/22mag heritage rough rider and rehomed my old ishapore 7.62x51 back to the guy i got it from.
    He has been wanting it back every sense i rebuilt it, and it was one of his first guns so i swapped it for the 22.
    One of my first guns was a single action 22 so i wanted it as bad as he wanted the ishapore.

I did it again went shopping for mace to run the squirrels out my attic and found a gun.
    Paragon cs 12 gauge double barrel for my shed gun.
    $175 so it was in my price range for a gun ill keep in my shed.

I really have a problem when i cant pick up a simple can of bear spray with out getting a new gun.
    Well on the bright side if macing the squirrels dont work out i can always use my new toy to finish the job.

I did it again went shopping for mace to run the squirrels out my attic and found a gun.
    Paragon cs 12 gauge double barrel for my shed gun.
    $175 so it was in my price range for a gun ill keep in my shed.

I really have a problem when i cant pick up a simple can of bear spray with out getting a new gun.
    Well on the bright side if macing the squirrels dont work out i can always use my new toy to finish the job.
    LOL

I suffer a similar addiction which is only held in check by a lack of funds

Nice side-by-side!

That pistol, is it a Ruger? Looks like a .22 maybe??

Thread Information