Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch View Post
    My 870 20 gauge is getting close to 30 years old. It's also rather unique in that it has a 12 gauge stock matched to a 20 gauge barrel.

Every once in a while I think of getting something new. Then I pull it out to clean and I remember how well it's done for me over the years.

DG
    You know, after I posted about the choke, I thought "mabye its not automatically a 12 gauge"...

Quote Originally Posted by EGQ View Post
    Just a Glock for me -- G22, also .40. Some target shooting, but no hunting -- thinking about something to kill rabbits -- those vermin have been trashing my landscaping for the last few years. I suspect the neighbors may not approve of me opening fire...

Growing up, I had a neighbor that used a rifle to shoot chimpmunks. Any suggestions for shooting rabbits at relatively close range? Anyone have a recipe for hasenfeffer?
    High tech sling shot? That might be fun...
    Pellet Gun? I got one at a (made in China) tool sale for about 20 bucks.
    22LR with a silencer?... no no better not recommend that.

Will
    Last edited by badwhale; 05-19-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: put my reply in the quote.... durr
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I had an 870 that absolutely REFUSED to fire Winchester shell. Maybe one of ten would fire.

Now I hunt turkey with a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. Even killed a few deer with 3" #1 buckshot through it.

I have a scoped Remington 700 in .270 for the rifle shot.

Bowtech Guardian 70# and CSS Encore 60# compound bows for when I feel like throwing sticks at deer, or possum, turkey, whatever!

And I have an older S&W .357 wheel gun with a 6" barrel that I have on my side anytime I'm hunting.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    I own a Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge, and the obligatory Remington .22 with scope. I'm in the market for a 30.06, but I don't necessarily have to get the very best greatest most expensive one; I enjoy the Remington line, and that's what I'm familiar with.

Was wondering if any of you who own and/or have shot some 30.06's would recommend and why. Probably use it for target practice first, then later on down the line for game.

I'd love to one day get into longbows. Friend of mine (who's insane) hunts wild boar in Alabama or Florida or something like that with a longbow.
    Well, what can I say?? The .30-06 is a beast of a round. If you have problems with your shoulder and don't like a rifle that brings an extra little boom to it. You won't like the .30-06. I once shot about 30 rounds straight, all different kinds of grains, with a pump action rifle. It was fun and I was just shooting some ammo an older gentleman I know named George wanted to empty so he could use the brass to make his own cartridges. It didn't bother me too much until the next day. My shoulder was a bit tender and I'm a big ol' boy. My buddy Adam, for example, (175lbs) will shoot a .30-06 two or three times and he's done. You gotta have some meat around your shoulder or you'll just be in pain. It's a good idea to get a pad for your shoulder if you're going to buy a .30-06. Unless you have a meaty shoulder. At least that's my opinion.

Could you imagine being a soldier in WWII and having to fire one of these things an outrageous amount of times. Those were men!
    All my ex's live in Texas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fuma787 View Post
    You gotta have some meat around your shoulder or you'll just be in pain. It's a good idea to get a pad for your shoulder if you're going to buy a .30-06. Unless you have a meaty shoulder. At least that's my opinion.
    I appreciate the input. I'm a pretty good sized guy. I'd probably have to extend the stock anyways, due to my size. The extension on my shotgun is rubber.

I don't know if I'd shoot much more than a box or so at the gun range per visit. But I'm fairly sure I can handle it.

I was more looking for manufacturer recommendations. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

You gotta remember that those M1 Garands had ZERO recoil padding.. just a metal butt-plate.

Try shooting 25 or 30 3-1/2" 12-guage turkey shells! You will definately feel that in the morning!

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    You gotta remember that those M1 Garands had ZERO recoil padding.. just a metal butt-plate.

Try shooting 25 or 30 3-1/2" 12-guage turkey shells! You will definately feel that in the morning!
    I've shot about 2 boxes (25ct. boxes) full of bird shot while I was skeet shooting. That was pretty bad. Are turkey shells much worse than that?

I've shot about 2 boxes (25ct. boxes) full of bird shot while I was skeet shooting. That was pretty bad. Are turkey shells much worse than that?
    Why don't you try using the turkey loads the next time you go skeet shooting?

Blog Entries

I imagine a .22lr or a 22 mag would be sufficient. 410 if you aren't a very good shot.. I don't have any experience with it though.

In a word... yes. I use the push pull method for shooting my 870 and find it works rather well. But target loads shouldn't hurt unless you don't have the butt in your shoulder. For turkey loads not to hurt you pretty much need to be shooting a turkey, those that hunt know what I mean.

Blog Entries

I can shoot brick of bird shot without any pain. High Velocity turkey shells are MUCH more powerfull... much worse than any buckshot load!

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Morphed - I recently bought a new suit for this Rem 700BDL .243 Varmint Special. Made from '72 until '87 it is a super accurate, very low recoil, (but heavy) rifle. Stocky's thumbhole stock, Jewell trigger, Douglas barrel. Easy under 1 moa every group.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    I can shoot brick of bird shot without any pain. High Velocity turkey shells are MUCH more powerfull... much worse than any buckshot load!
    I did not know that about turkey shells. Thanks for the knowledge.

Kudos on the rifle double kudos on the game room DeeDubya.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Morphed - I recently bought a new suit for this Rem 700BDL .243 Varmint Special. Made from '72 until '87 it is a super accurate, very low recoil, (but heavy) rifle. Stocky's thumbhole stock, Jewell trigger, Douglas barrel. Easy under 1 moa every group.
    That. Is. Beautiful.

Will
    Last edited by badwhale; 05-19-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: wanted to get the copy of the pic outta there

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I once made the mistake of resting the butt of my Mosin against my collar bone. THAT hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    are those the polymer tips?

Yes

Blog Entries

That is a very nice rifle DW.

I went to the largest gun store in Kentucky last week. I was looking at, I think, a Cooper .17hmr. They have sample groups attached to each of the rifles, this one was very impressive.

3-shot group from 100 yards with a Leupold scope and bench rest.

Blog Entries

Well if we're posting eye candy...

1970s steel J-Frame sweetness. 38spl.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Well if we're posting eye candy...

1970s steel J-Frame sweetness. 38spl.

Will
    SWEET!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    That is a very nice rifle DW.

I went to the largest gun store in Kentucky last week. I was looking at, I think, a Cooper .17hmr. They have sample groups attached to each of the rifles, this one was very impressive.

3-shot group from 100 yards with a Leupold scope and bench rest.
    Apparently the Cooper is making a name for itself. I'm not familiar with them but I think there is an article in the latest Rifeman. I'll have to read up.

With a little research guns can be a reasonable investment. You rarely loose money unless you buy one new and then sell or trade too quickly. I bought a HK P7M10 40S&W (squeeze cock) when I was shooting USPSA events. I had paid around $1250 for the gun and 4 mags. I sold it about 2 years ago for $1500. Big mistake. It would bring $3000 today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p7m10nickelrt.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	1030  

Uh oh, looks gotta be careful with those Mosins and other mil-surps. I got an M44 a year ago and since then have picked up another M44 (this all matching), 91/30, and an Enfield in the mil surp category. Damn they're fun shooters though.

Thread Information