Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Blog Entries

I apparently overestimated how much movement on paper I would get from each click at 25 yards. This was my first 6 shots, free hand sitting at a table. There were 12 clicks of adjustment up and left after shot 3. I went back to the office to fill up my trap card after zeroing my rifle and found out that they have bench rests you can use for free. Next time...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0632.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	4040

Well i skipped my range trip i had planed yesterday, the wife wanted to take a road trip to the pisgah inn to eat lunch.
    12 hrs trip just to eat lunch
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    I apparently overestimated how much movement on paper I would get from each click at 25 yards. This was my first 6 shots, free hand sitting at a table. There were 12 clicks of adjustment up and left after shot 3. I went back to the office to fill up my trap card after zeroing my rifle and found out that they have bench rests you can use for free. Next time...

Name:	IMG_0632.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	4040

Yeah, that always messed me up too. If memory serves me, if 4 clicks at 100 yards = 1 inch Then, 1 inch at 25 yards should be 16 (4 x as many) clicks.

That's a nice grouping btw!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Got a Ruger 22/45 as a groomsman gift this week.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post

Nice plinker! Almost got one years back. Had to drop the layaway due to an unexpected bill. Some of the custom jobs look like Sci-fi laser pistols!
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

That's a nice score Will...........they're fun to shoot, cheap to feed and highly accurate. If you think you might do a bunch of shooting you will want to look into getting an Ultimate Clip Loader

http://www.mcfaden.com/McFadden-Mach...der-s/1827.htm

Check amazon, I think I saw them there cheaper than on the mfg's website.

Heading out to do some long distance shooting next Monday (Canadian Thanksgiving - we're doing the big meal Sunday instead) with my brother and our .308's I'm still hoping he can make it out hunting this year but the court duty he has slated for Nov 1st hasn't been cancelled yet. Oh well, if he can't make it, I'm still going. Now that the boats winterized and put away (I inherited the family boat from the same brother last July) it's time to prep the hunting trailer.

I got drawn for Bull Moose, antlerless Mule Deer and Elk. I will be getting my "general whitetail" tag as well. The general whitey is good for either sex from Nov 1st to the 7th. After the 7th, it's antlered only. I will likely pick up the two supplemental antlerless whitetail tags available for the zones around the town I live in and hunt them once I'm back from the trip west. The only thing I didn't get drawn for that I applied for was Antlered Mule Deer. I should get that next year judging by the draw results.

I'm hoping for a successful season and need to get out and ensure the preset's on my ballistic turret are correct. Also, practice makes perfect and to be consistent at longer distances, you need to shoot a lot!

Nice gift.
    I really like the 22/45.

8. Default

Just added a Performance Center 642 Smith to the herd.

Picked up a some what new gun 1913 to 1915 3rd generation H&R 32 S&W CTGE Top Break Revolver.

Wife was a little ticked at me again till she found out how old it was now she thinks its cool.
    The condition is damn god for its age, that is why she did not beleave me at first when i told her it is over 100 years old.

Hang that baby on a plaque above the mantel!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    Hang that baby on a plaque above the mantel!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Not happening i do not have a gun i will not shoot.

After the hurricane people are needing cash and selling what they can, i ended up having to give the rest of my emergency cash to my 74 year old father to get trees off his house so he would not try to cut them him self.
    Now i have to pass on any gun deals i find till the banks resupply.

So my wife saw this and sent it to me. I confess, I may have had a small gun/cigargasm when I saw it..............

Name:	gun safe and cigar humidor.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	4069

I want one! LOL

So my annual hunt was successful. At least, the bull moose portion of it was. It was way too warm and soft. We couldn't go into any fields or oil rigs and were limited to the roads only. First time in my life I ever offroaded.........on the roads!!!! All in all, we were able to access about 80% of the places we normally can go.

The only antlerless mule deer I saw was in a buffalo paddock so I couldn't shoot her. I did see around 10 anterled mule deer but didn't get drawn even though I put in for it. As for elk, I only saw the one and he wasn't a legal bull and was also in the buffalo paddock with the antlerless mulie.

All in all, I still had a fantastic trip and after several days of seeing bulls where I couldn't shoot them, this guy and his twin brother made an appearance where I could take him. A little over 200 yards and I took his right shoulder apart and got both lungs. Needless to say, he didn't go far and as you can tell from the pic, he ended up in water. He's no monster and that rack is well, pretty pathetic to be completely honest.........lol...........but at 3 to 4 years old, he's VERY tasty and yielded about 300 pounds of meat after we were done butchering him.

I'm back at home now and hunting locally for whitetails. I have a "general" tag that can only be used for bucks now (Nov 1 to the 7th can be used for either sex....ergo the "general" specification) and two supplemental anterless whittail tags. I took this afternoon off to put the cap back on the 1/2 ton and my wife's wheelchair lift back in. The headache rack with the 2500 lb quad winch isn't needed for deer and I really wanted to get the cap back on before the snow flies so I did that today while I had help from my hunting partner. I kept the ramp in (6' x 40" x 3/4" treated plywood) because that is necessary for pulling a deer in. I also got the hunting trailer back in my backyard and am sitting in it now smoking a cigar! I also took tomorrow off and will be heading out in the morning to see if I can find that big buck that's been eluding me for 2 years. If anybody is interested, the wife and I have a website I post all my hunting/fishing pic's on. Just let me know if you want to see it and I'll send you the URL and password.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CptnBlues63; 11-17-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Nice harvest! Great write-up too given a good bit of it was over my head. Let us know if you find the monster.

I was never one to trophy hunt so to me that looks like a nice kill and plenty of eats.

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post

So my annual hunt was successful. At least, the bull moose portion of it was. It was way too warm and soft. We couldn't go into any fields or oil rigs and were limited to the roads only. First time in my life I ever offroaded.........on the roads!!!! All in all, we were able to access about 80% of the places we normally can go.

The only antlerless mule deer I saw was in a buffalo paddock so I couldn't shoot her. I did see around 10 anterled mule deer but didn't get drawn even though I put in for it. As for elk, I only saw the one and he wasn't a legal bull and was also in the buffalo paddock with the antlerless mulie.

All in all, I still had a fantastic trip and after several days of seeing bulls where I couldn't shoot them, this guy and his twin brother made an appearance where I could take him. A little over 200 yards and I took his right shoulder apart and got both lungs. Needless to say, he didn't go far and as you can tell from the pic, he ended up in water. He's no monster and that rack is well, pretty pathetic to be completely honest.........lol...........but at 3 to 4 years old, he's VERY tasty and yielded about 300 pounds of meat after we were done butchering him.

I'm back at home now and hunting locally for whitetails. I have a "general" tag that can only be used for bucks now (Nov 1 to the 7th can be used for either sex....ergo the "general" specification) and two supplemental anterless whittail tags. I took this afternoon off to put the cap back on the 1/2 ton and my wife's wheelchair lift back in. The headache rack with the 2500 lb quad winch isn't needed for deer and I really wanted to get the cap back on before the snow flies so I did that today while I had help from my hunting partner. I kept the ramp in (6' x 40" x 3/4" treated plywood) because that is necessary for pulling a deer in. I also got the hunting trailer back in my backyard and am sitting in it now smoking a cigar! I also took tomorrow off and will be heading out in the morning to see if I can find that big buck that's been eluding me for 2 years. If anybody is interested, the wife and I have a website I post all my hunting/fishing pic's on. Just let me know if you want to see it and I'll send you the URL and password.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    I was never one to trophy hunt so to me that looks like a nice kill and plenty of eats.
    Me either. I hunt for meat and if it happens to have a nice rack, I'll put it on the wall. Mostly I'm concerned about putting meat in the freezer so I'm very happy with this tasty young bull

So my hunting season ended yesterday around sunset. Time to clean the hunting rifle and put it away until the snow melts.

I tagged a nice young whitetail buck last weekend (he's tasty) and yesterday about 15 min's before sunset a doe. The deep freeze will be filled to capacity after I butcher the doe.

Now I have to put up with about 3 to 4 months of winter and it'll be spring again and I'll be able to get out and do some shooting and start prepping for next hunting season...

Added 2 in the last few months.

10.5 inch 5.56 pistol build AR , my new truck gun/beater gun.
    CZ P-09 first looked at it said hell no but it started to grow on me after a while.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 01-07-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Blog Entries

I just realized I failed to mention I got a Ruger SR1911 right before Thanksgiving.

I probably have 200 rounds through it. Now I've hit my usual "won't shoot it again for 5 years" drought. At least I have it.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Nice i am still looking for a back up 1911.
    I like to have 2 of everything and one 45ACP is the only thing i am missing right now then ill start looking at a 308's or get in to the 40 cal stuff.
    This gun collecting gets expensive fast

Thread Information