Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
Results 641 to 649 of 649

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

  1. #641
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The GPS lady says im lost
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    Way to hot to hit the range so went gun shopping.

    I was looking for a 308 but was talking to a friend i normally go gun buying with and that bastard talked me in to a 45/70 that a different friend had for sale at a good price.
    New toy - Henry 45/70 brass receiver octagon barrel and Large-loop lever, gun was not used still had the box for it $500 and along with 60 rounds of ammo.
    I am not looking forward to feeding this rifle at $1.75 a round its as bad as my 300 win mag.

    Also picked up a junk Stephens bolt action 22 as a project gun to see if i can make it a usable gun again, it is in really bad shape but it was free.

    Yep back on gun restriction for a while so even if i do find the 308 at a great price i cant get it.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

  2. #642
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Way to hot to hit the range so went gun shopping.

    I was looking for a 308 but was talking to a friend i normally go gun buying with and that bastard talked me in to a 45/70 that a different friend had for sale at a good price.
    New toy - Henry 45/70 brass receiver octagon barrel and Large-loop lever, gun was not used still had the box for it $500 and along with 60 rounds of ammo.
    I am not looking forward to feeding this rifle at $1.75 a round its as bad as my 300 win mag.

    Also picked up a junk Stephens bolt action 22 as a project gun to see if i can make it a usable gun again, it is in really bad shape but it was free.

    Yep back on gun restriction for a while so even if i do find the 308 at a great price i cant get it.
    Gun restriction

    That Henry is a nice rifle and would make a great bush gun. The bullets would not deflect easily and you could drop pretty much anything up to and including an elephant with that. Great price on it too.............I can see why you didn't pass it up.

    Make sure you take some before photo's of the .22 so we can see what it looked like before you started working on it.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

    ***William Ernest Henley***

  3. #643
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The GPS lady says im lost
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    Soaking the 22 in oil right now.
    The rust appears to be only on the outside of the gun the action and rifling look fine and i found a few cracks in the stock.
    It will most likely just end up repairing and paint it due to no value, i am thinking orange and black

    The 45/70 is going to get a scope on it tomorrow i found a QCB bug buster scope in my closet, cheap as hell but i really do not need much scope on a 100 to 200 yard gun just something i can see.
    Bifocals suck for iron sights so i have to use a low power scope with thick cross hairs or i may pick up a fixed power 3x32.

    This week is my birthday so i got off gun restriction picked up 100 rounds for the 45/70 "that stuff is not cheap" and i ordered everything i need to reload it also
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

  4. #644
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The GPS lady says im lost
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    Update: i did use the UTG bug buster scope it fit perfectly with out removing the rear iron sight.
    I test fitted a few scopes i had and this one worked the best, before i sight it in i think i might pick up a fixed power scope in the same size to see if i like it better.
    Eye relief is where i was having problems with other scopes and a 40mm would require me removing the rear iron or get taller rings.
    I wanted a short scope mounted low almost like a pistol scope and the only one that fit the bill was the Bugbuster that i already had.

    Now i am down to 2 guns i want a 308 and a 50 bmg and maybe a few more hand guns
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

  5. #645
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The GPS lady says im lost
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    finally got a photo hosting site that works.
    You can see how close the scope is to the iron sights, the eye re-leaf is damn near perfect for my bifocals i may move it one more notch forward to keep form beating my glasses up.
    I cant find a KONUS 4x 32mm anywhere locally so i may have to order it just to look at it and see if i like it better.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 08-18-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

  6. #646
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The GPS lady says im lost
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    And i just made a deal on a New in the box Savage 93 22 mag sight unseen, like a needed a new 22 mag but i could not pass it up. $100
    Safe is full and gun cabinet is getting full.

    The rust is so bad on that Stephens bolt action 22 that i will have to oil it down for a few months before i start working on it.
    34 guns and around 18k rounds of mixed ammo not counting reloading supply's i think i have a addiction or something.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 08-18-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

  7. #647
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    And i just made a deal on a New in the box Savage 93 22 mag sight unseen, like a needed a new 22 mag but i could not pass it up. $100
    Safe is full and gun cabinet is getting full.

    The rust is so bad on that Stephens bolt action 22 that i will have to oil it down for a few months before i start working on it.
    34 guns and around 18k rounds of mixed ammo not counting reloading supply's i think i have a addiction or something.

    Love the Henry.....scope looks good on it!

    The Savage .22 magnum looks like a fun rifle.

    You're not an addict, you're an avid collector!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

    ***William Ernest Henley***

  8. #648
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The GPS lady says im lost
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    I cant walk out the door with out finding a gun deal now days.
    I did pick up the Savage 93 22 mag today but while i was doing that i got a line on a 308 damn its hard to pass up but i am not pushing my luck.
    While making room for it in the safe i found my Marlin 983T 22 mag , i will have to get them both scoped the same and do a range trip to see what one i like better.

    When i got home the wife did not say a thing about the new gun i think she is giving up that or she just bought something expensive to get even.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

  9. #649
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    I cant walk out the door with out finding a gun deal now days.
    I did pick up the Savage 93 22 mag today but while i was doing that i got a line on a 308 damn its hard to pass up but i am not pushing my luck.
    While making room for it in the safe i found my Marlin 983T 22 mag , i will have to get them both scoped the same and do a range trip to see what one i like better.

    When i got home the wife did not say a thing about the new gun i think she is giving up that or she just bought something expensive to get even.
    LOL - Mine would buy something expensive....likely pottery (she collects Art Deco pottery). Well, I do have a .308 Savage 99 lever action I plan on selling but I imagine you wouldn't want it, the trigger pull on it's 8+ lb's and you can't adjust that on a Savage 99 (I know, I tried) I have another 99 with a 4 lb trigger which is my backup hunting rifle now that my Remington 700 has become my main one. Before I bought the Remmy, I had the stiff trigger 99 as my spare and the other was my main.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

    ***William Ernest Henley***

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •