Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    LOL

I suffer a similar addiction which is only held in check by a lack of funds

Nice side-by-side!

That pistol, is it a Ruger? Looks like a .22 maybe??
    That is a Heritage rough rider 22, It will shoot all 22, L , LR, Short and WMR.
    I picked it up because i had a old 22 revolver when i was 10 or 11 years old and miss shooting them.
    The ruger single six is on my list of guns i want but have not found at a decent price yet.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    That is a Heritage rough rider 22, It will shoot all 22, L , LR, Short and WMR.
    I picked it up because i had a old 22 revolver when i was 10 or 11 years old and miss shooting them.
    The ruger single six is on my list of guns i want but have not found at a decent price yet.
    I own a single six. It's a combination .22/.22 magnum

I even went so far as to get a custom western style holster made for it...........LOL

I love it! As usual, it's a straight shooting gun (does Ruger make any other kind!?!?) and I use it to get rid of a lot of offsize ammo that won't go through my Ruger 10/20 carbine or Mark III Hunter. I bought a thousand rounds of .22 long and they're a tad shorter than the long rifles so it's the only gun I can shoot them in other than the old Cooey single shot. I've never tried shorts through the Single Six but I wager it'd shoot those too.

The Ruger Mark III is totally awesome. Combined with the quick clip loader manufactured by McFadden (link below)

http://www.eabco.com/ClipLoader.htm

A guy can go through a brick of .22's in no time flat.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I have not seen 22 long in over 2 years
    22LR is not that hard to find but long and short are hard to find. " i have to order them off the net and pay ridiculous shipping"
    I like shooting shorts out of my Remington 121 feildmaster is almost like shooting a pellet guns it is so silent.

I have not seen 22 long in over 2 years
    22LR is not that hard to find but long and short are hard to find. " i have to order them off the net and pay ridiculous shipping"
    I like shooting shorts out of my Remington 121 feildmaster is almost like shooting a pellet guns it is so silent.
    LOL - quiet indeed!

Yeah, I picked the Long's up at an auction if I remember correctly and God only knows how long whomever had them before he hung onto them. To be honest, I didn't notice they were longs until I went to shoot them the first time...........LOL Then I was like "Crap!" because they didn't work in the Mark III or the 10/20. Had I noticed at the auction, I wouldn't have bothered buying them. But in the end, they work perfectly in the Single Six so they will still get used.

If I'm remembering correctly, .22 shorts are one of the few subsonic shells right from the factory. If you combined them with a suppressor, they would be almost silent. I watched a video on youtube of a guy shooting a Mark III Hunter with an integral suppressor that was very quiet considering it was shooting LR's. I went looking for it and couldn't find it but did find this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fx3ZiHu7QU

Amazing how quiet it is. At what looks like 50 yards to me, the ding is louder than the shot. Gotta love the military lingo too........."can" "pills" etc........LOL

Here is a video of shorts its not out of a 121 but damn near the same sound.
    It like having a suppressed gun but no tax stamp needed.

Last edited by Mangyrat; 01-12-2016 at 10:05 AM.

[QUOTE=Mangyrat;200647]Here is a video of shorts its not out of a 121 but damn near the same sound.
    It like having a suppressed gun but no tax stamp needed.

That is quiet!

And, it's a semi automatic to boot!

Spent the day at the range and had a blast.

The side by side worked out great but i have to do some work on the stock that is cracking.
    The new 22 started hitting after 100 rounds of break-in out to 50 yards i was pinging a 8 inch steel target.
    re sighted in the wife's 9mm AR build also.
    But mostly me and a friend just burnt up a bunch of 45 and 9mm ammo playing with pistols.

Spent the day at the range and had a blast.

The side by side worked out great but i have to do some work on the stock that is cracking.
    The new 22 started hitting after 100 rounds of break-in out to 50 yards i was pinging a 8 inch steel target.
    re sighted in the wife's 9mm AR build also.
    But mostly me and a friend just burnt up a bunch of 45 and 9mm ammo playing with pistols.
    I'm a little jealous. Ok, I lied! I'm a lot jealous! LOL

I could go to the local range but it's outdoors and it is winter. Also, with the snow we have, I'd need a snow mobile to get down there........it's down in a river valley with quite a steep hill. I'm guessing your range isn't covered in snow and subzero temps..........so I'd love to come join you! Some winter days I just take my guns out and look at them and sigh. There is an indoor range I could go to but it's a 2 hour drive away and by the time I do the round trip, eat one meal and pay the cost for a non-member to shoot for the day....well, I'll save my $$$ and put it towards more ammo instead.

On the plus side, I do have to do some work on one rifle! During hunting season I bought some anti-fog lens cleaner and cleaned both lenses on my expensive Swarovski scope. I grabbed my spare rifle and went to clean both lenses on the cheap-ass Bushnell Banner scope I have on it and when I went to clean the Ocular lens the lens came loose and started moving around. Banner replaced it without any hassles so I have to remount it on my rifle. Also, I have another cheap-ass BSA (yep, same guys that manufacture BSA motorcycles) rifle scope I want to put on my Ruger 10/22 It's a ballistic turret scope and if it works properly, I should be able to cap gophers out to 200+ yards with it.............LOL We'll see. After ordering it, I went to mount it on my spare hunting rifle but after looking through it didn't bother. It's a POS that I wouldn't put on anything other than a .22

I have no problem with cheap scope,s.
    My eyes are not what they used to be so i tend to go with the cheap ones with thicker cross hairs.

I have no problem with cheap scope,s.
    My eyes are not what they used to be so i tend to go with the cheap ones with thicker cross hairs.
    Prior to purchasing the Swarovski about 3 years back, all my scopes were in the $100 range. In fact, I've gotten quite a few deer, elk and one bull moose, with a $100 scope.

I blame my brother for me buy the expensive scope. His sniper rifle (he's a cop and on the tactical squad and has a real nice custom sniper rifle) has a $2500 Nightforce scope on it. After looking through some high-end glass, looking through a $100 scope is kind of disappointing. If you've never used a high-end scope, you never know. But once I did, I couldn't help wanting one.

Like you, my eyes are getting worse with age. 15 or so years back, my eyes were 20/20 Now I wear glasses all day long. My distance vision is still pretty good but everything up close is fuzzy. As more time goes by, I notice my distance vision gets worse too and last year, for the first time ever, I wore my glasses all the time out hunting. Used to be I didn't have to bother. But in 2014 I noticed my eyes were getting sore and I was working harder to focus at distance so last fall I wore them all the time. I will eventually have to get a different pair of glasses for shooting because the lenses in the ones I have are so tiny I can't hold my rifle and aim as I normally do, and look through them. I end up looking over the lens........lol Fortunately, that's not a problem yet. My Swarovski has an excellent optical focus and also it has an objective focus too. But being able to look through my lenses while aiming, especially if I'm going to be looking through the scope for any length of time, would be helpful.

I have used a few nice scope's and they are clearer especially at the higher magnifications. Kind of like comparing a KIA to a Porsche.

Most if not all my shooting is now at 100 yards or less, if it was not for bifocals i would be using iron sights.
    Wait till you need bifocals, i use higher scope rings now so i can see in the scope with glasses on.

I have used a few nice scope's and they are clearer especially at the higher magnifications. Kind of like comparing a KIA to a Porsche.

Most if not all my shooting is now at 100 yards or less, if it was not for bifocals i would be using iron sights.
    Wait till you need bifocals, i use higher scope rings now so i can see in the scope with glasses on.

"Wait till I need bifocals" What is this "Wait" you speak of??

I got bifocals about 10 years back. I've been wearing progressive lenses for about 4 or 5 years now. They're actually part of the problem with the whole wearing glasses while shooting thing. I have reasonable benefits at work and a 'health spending account' that I used to buy some prescription sun glasses last spring. They're a much larger lens than my regular glasses so I tried them out at the range. I still tend to look over the top of the lens. It's just how I aim I guess.

I'm more of a distance shooter. We have a lot of open country where I grew up and even where I'm living now. That's even though I'm in the 'northern boreal forest' region. My average shot while hunting is in excess of 200 yards and my longest to date is 495 yards (with the Swarovski which has a ballistic turret). That's one of the biggest reasons I site my rifles in to be "dead on" at 250 yards.

I did have one rifle with the raised scope rings but truth be told, I got rid of them within two years of buying that rifle. Again, they made me change how I aim and that's not a good thing for consistency. They're a great idea if you're hunting heavy bush....but with my knees (just had surgery on the left one for the second time on Jan 27/16) my days of hiking the bush while hunting are over. I mostly cruise fields where I know I'll find game and do a lot of sitting and waiting. What we call "posting".

I got tired of guns laying all over the place due to my gun cabinet so full and picked up a cheap stack on 16 gun safe. "the non fire proof one so i can move it my self".
    It will be bolted in the double closet sideways in the left side resesed area so you have to enter the closet to open it.
    Great idea now i have to gut the closet it will go in This gun stuff is never ending now i am thinking i need a stack on cabinet for ammo to go on the other side.

Blog Entries

I feel your pain. I'm more or less out of room in my 20 (I think) gun safe I also have the majority of my ammo in it as well though. Not sure If I'm going to upgrade it when I get back, or just move y ammo somewhere else. Probably the latter. I also just realized I have no idea what the combo is, or where I wrote it down at.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=CptnBlues63;200715.......and a 'health spending account' ........[/QUOTE]

LMAO!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    I feel your pain. I'm more or less out of room in my 20 (I think) gun safe I also have the majority of my ammo in it as well though. Not sure If I'm going to upgrade it when I get back, or just move y ammo somewhere else. Probably the latter. I also just realized I have no idea what the combo is, or where I wrote it down at.
    LOL

I bought a 3 pack of trigger locks and put one key on my key ring and stashed the rest. A few months later, I can't find the rest of the keys so just to be safe, I had two made. About a year back, some 3 years after the aforementioned brain fart, I find the rest of the keys locked in my gun cabinet buried under some boxes of .22's

I hope you find, or remember your combo before you do anything drastic!

As for the ammo, I bought a separate storage container a while back that I really like. It might be just the kind of thing you need:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001...ilpage_o08_s01

Gun safe is in the closet finally.

But i pulled mussel or something doing it my self, tried to move the safe inside while it was strapped down to a 6 foot long pallet that weighed a extra 50 lbs or so.
    I am getting to old to move stuff like this by my self.

Now that it is in i think i will do a stackon cabinet on the other side of the closet for ammo, i haven't bolted it down yet but maybe this weekend if i have time it will get it bolted to the wall.
    All of my AR's are too short for the rests so i used 50 cal cans to prop them up. safe is 20x20x50 and will hold maybe 14 long guns with scopes mounted crammed in it.

I need a few moor hand guns and to complete the last AR build.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 06-13-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Blog Entries

That's a nice little stash you got there Mangy! CPT, I thought about getting something like that. Right now it's all (almost) in a wooden crate I got off craigslist for 15 bucks. It probably measures 3.5'x1'x1' or so. I'll probably just go with a shelf-system in the future. At least my guns are all in a box in storage...at least I hope that's where they still are, so they aren't currently in the safe. I definitely need to invest in a hand truck at some point. Moving that that safe from my truck, through my garage, through my house, and into it's corner by myself was a huge pain.

Eville if you have a fire proof safe defiantly get a hand truck.
    I went to gander mountain and checked out all the safes and the non fireproof one is the only one i could move that and the small 8 gun one.

I like all guns it don't mater who makes it as long as it fires.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    That's a nice little stash you got there Mangy!
    Agreed! Would love to come visit and go to the range and try a few out!

We could sit and smoke cigars and clean guns afterwards (one of my favorite times to have a cigar actually)

CPT, I thought about getting something like that. Right now it's all (almost) in a wooden crate I got off craigslist for 15 bucks. It probably measures 3.5'x1'x1' or so. I'll probably just go with a shelf-system in the future. At least my guns are all in a box in storage...at least I hope that's where they still are, so they aren't currently in the safe. I definitely need to invest in a hand truck at some point. Moving that that safe from my truck, through my garage, through my house, and into it's corner by myself was a huge pain.
    I bet your crate is every bit as effective as my box for storage. We have to have our ammo locked up separately or I'd just keep mine in my locking gun cabinet.

Thread Information