Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Default Gun Owning Smokers

Any smokers on here that happen to also like to shoot sh!t up??!! I enjoy skeet shooting and target shooting. I've only just started collecting firearms. I have a Ruger P94, a Ruger 10/22 and my personal favorite, my Mosin-Nagant M91/30. I hope to go deer hunting this year with the Mosin, no scope, I'm gonna try to do it old school. Which if anyone out there has ever shot a Mosin, you know it'll be tons of fun!
    Last edited by Fuma787; 04-06-2010 at 06:49 AM.
    All my ex's live in Texas.

Blog Entries

I have an Mosin m44. That thing is all kinds of fun to shoot! The short barrel of the m44 puts out a tremendous fireball and shockwave with each shot. I can hit a 1 foot square at 200 yards using the irons on mine, very accurate rifle. I also have a Marlin 30-30 lever, and a SW MP .40.

winchester 30-30 is my favorite to shoot. The SKS isn't bad but with the new Leverevolution ammo for the 30-30 I really like the improved accuracy.

Blog Entries

are those the polymer tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuma787 View Post
    Any smokers on here that happen to also like to shoot sh!t up??!! I enjoy skeet shooting and target shooting. I've only just started collecting firearms. I have a Ruger P94, a Ruger 10/22 and my personal favorite, my Mosin-Nagant M91/30. I hope to go deer hunting this year with the Mosin, no scope, I'm gonna try to do it old school. Which if anyone out there has ever shot a Mosin, you know it'll be tons of fun!
    Scopes have always been over-rated for deer hunting which in brush country is usually 25 - 50 yds. Basil won't agree with me since his shots out in West Texas could be 300 yds or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    I have an Mosin m44. That thing is all kinds of fun to shoot! The short barrel of the m44 puts out a tremendous fireball and shockwave with each shot. I can hit a 1 foot square at 200 yards using the irons on mine, very accurate rifle. I also have a Marlin 30-30 lever, and a SW MP .40.

I would love to have a M44. I've been looking for one but it seems prices have doubled on Mosins. My P94 is also a .40. I love that thing! My brother has a S&W Sigma Series .40, I don't particularly like it but it's better than having a sharp stick, I guess? I hear the M&Ps are a smooth as silk though. BTW the huge fireball comes standard on all Mosin-Nagant models.

Blog Entries

I picked mine up from a pawn shop before Christmas for $120 after tax. I hear you used to be able to get them for around 70-80 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    I picked mine up from a pawn shop before Christmas for $120 after tax. I hear you used to be able to get them for around 70-80 though.
    I got mine at a gun show in Raleigh for $69.95 out the door about a year ago. It's amazing how quickly they've gone up in price. Everything is like that now! AKs are like $450 now! You used to be able to get a decent AK for around $300.

I like putting a .729 Caliber hole all the way through a deer, but thats just me and it's what I'm limited to besides a .40 Caliber hole which I'll be trying this fall

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Scopes have always been over-rated for deer hunting which in brush country is usually 25 - 50 yds. Basil won't agree with me since his shots out in West Texas could be 300 yds or more.
    Actually, I killed my first deer with a .244 Remington with open sights. It was probably 35 yards. I've also killed deer with a .222, .270, and a .30-06, the latter of which is my personal gun. All of these had scopes on them. I grew up hunting in San Saba Co., which is not far from you. There is a lot of brush hunting and some people there swear by a .30-30 with open sights. There are also a lot of long-range conditions and my dad once made a shot, standing, no rest, that dropped his target at over 400 yards with the .270 mentioned above. It wasn't a fluke - he was consistently one of the better marksmen and shotgunners I've ever met.

The .30-06 was a gift from him and he justified it with the thinking that it is versatile - one of the only guns that can be used anywhere on this continent. That's probably pretty accurate. It's too heavy for central Texas whitetail unless it's a clean neck shot which is what I try for. A scope simplifies this at longer distances.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

I'm slowly building my collection. Ruger 10/22 with the 22 inch barrel, Bushmaster AR-15 HBAR A2, Norinco SKS, Plainfield M-1 Carbine, and XD .45 5 inch tactical.

I don't hunt as much as I used to, obviously because of the job. I'm hoping here in the next few years I can get a decent rifle/glass combo for hunting elk in Idaho.

I really don't shoot stuff up, I like making cloverleaves on paper.

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    I'm slowly building my collection. Ruger 10/22 with the 22 inch barrel, Bushmaster AR-15 HBAR A2, Norinco SKS, Plainfield M-1 Carbine, and XD .45 5 inch tactical.

I don't hunt as much as I used to, obviously because of the job. I'm hoping here in the next few years I can get a decent rifle/glass combo for hunting elk in Idaho.

I really don't shoot stuff up, I like making cloverleaves on paper.

Kris
    You should just get them to transfer you to Afghanistan. I hear there is all the ram and billy goat you could ever want in those mountains over there. I'm sure you could get your hands on some type of a rifle, it being a war zone and all. Kudos on the Bushmaster. That's the best AR you can buy right now. Colt is not making any new ARs for civilian use last time I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Actually, I killed my first deer with a .244 Remington with open sights. It was probably 35 yards. I've also killed deer with a .222, .270, and a .30-06, the latter of which is my personal gun. All of these had scopes on them. I grew up hunting in San Saba Co., which is not far from you. There is a lot of brush hunting and some people there swear by a .30-30 with open sights. There are also a lot of long-range conditions and my dad once made a shot, standing, no rest, that dropped his target at over 400 yards with the .270 mentioned above. It wasn't a fluke - he was consistently one of the better marksmen and shotgunners I've ever met.

The .30-06 was a gift from him and he justified it with the thinking that it is versatile - one of the only guns that can be used anywhere on this continent. That's probably pretty accurate. It's too heavy for central Texas whitetail unless it's a clean neck shot which is what I try for. A scope simplifies this at longer distances.
    I would imagine a scope is very useful in Texas. There seems to be a lot of open terrain down there (at least that's what I get from the looks of the hunting shows made in Texas that I watch) so having a scope makes sense. Here in NC we usually hunt from a tree stand or on the ground in the middle of a wooded area where the deer is no more than 60 to 80 yards away. So an open sight Mosin could do the job.

What more can be said about the .30-06. It is one of the best calibers ever created. It helped save the world in WWII (with a little help from a rifle called Garand).

I hunt pheasant & deer. Here in NJ you can only use a shotgun. Rem 870. Looking to get into Bow for deer and then turkey & waterfowl shotgun. Also do black powder for deer, lots of fun.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch View Post
    I hunt pheasant & deer. Here in NJ you can only use a shotgun. Rem 870. Looking to get into Bow for deer and then turkey & waterfowl shotgun. Also do black powder for deer, lots of fun.

DG
    Chris,

I'm sure you know this, but you could just get a choke for your 870 for turkey (at least). That's what I use (if I ever go out again). Might need that 10 gage for the waterfoul.
    Of course, more firearms in NEVER discouraged

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I have a Remington 30-06 that I used to take deer & a Maine black bear. And like Diesel Grinch, I sometimes take my flintlock out for deer. It's not always fun when you have the shot lined up and the powder won't go off in the pan. I also have a Glock 26 for cc, a Mossberg 12 ga, a Romanian AK-47 and the obligatory .22LR.

I really enjoy getting together with friends at someone's farm or mountain camp and blasting hand-thrown claybirds with the shotguns. We had a great trying to hit a thrown target with my buddy's Taurus Judge (.45 Colt & 410 shot).

I would like to own more guns, but budget constraints always seem to restrict more purchases. I haven't purchases anything since my Glock when I turned 21.

Blog Entries

I own a Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge, and the obligatory Remington .22 with scope. I'm in the market for a 30.06, but I don't necessarily have to get the very best greatest most expensive one; I enjoy the Remington line, and that's what I'm familiar with.

Was wondering if any of you who own and/or have shot some 30.06's would recommend and why. Probably use it for target practice first, then later on down the line for game.

I'd love to one day get into longbows. Friend of mine (who's insane) hunts wild boar in Alabama or Florida or something like that with a longbow.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Chris,

I'm sure you know this, but you could just get a choke for your 870 for turkey (at least). That's what I use (if I ever go out again). Might need that 10 gage for the waterfoul.
    Of course, more firearms in NEVER discouraged

Will

My 870 20 gauge is getting close to 30 years old. It's also rather unique in that it has a 12 gauge stock matched to a 20 gauge barrel.

Every once in a while I think of getting something new. Then I pull it out to clean and I remember how well it's done for me over the years.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

My 12 gague is also an 870, I use the factory 26" vent rib barrel for everything.

Throw in an extra full choke ready for turkey, improved cylinder and your ready for deer.

Although my 870 did have a couple Failures to Fire, it was the first time I took her out, I was shooting clay pigeons, the first shot went off without a hitch click boom, the next shot click.... silence... hmm pump it, click.... At this point I'm just kinda like then , so I remove the barrel, the fore end, and trigger group... nothing looks wrong put it back together and take it back to the firing line, click boom haven't had a problem since

Just a Glock for me -- G22, also .40. Some target shooting, but no hunting -- thinking about something to kill rabbits -- those vermin have been trashing my landscaping for the last few years. I suspect the neighbors may not approve of me opening fire...

Growing up, I had a neighbor that used a rifle to shoot chimpmunks. Any suggestions for shooting rabbits at relatively close range? Anyone have a recipe for hasenfeffer?

Thread Information