Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: Gun Owning Smokers

Way to hot to hit the range so went gun shopping.

I was looking for a 308 but was talking to a friend i normally go gun buying with and that bastard talked me in to a 45/70 that a different friend had for sale at a good price.
    New toy - Henry 45/70 brass receiver octagon barrel and Large-loop lever, gun was not used still had the box for it $500 and along with 60 rounds of ammo.
    I am not looking forward to feeding this rifle at $1.75 a round its as bad as my 300 win mag.

Also picked up a junk Stephens bolt action 22 as a project gun to see if i can make it a usable gun again, it is in really bad shape but it was free.

Yep back on gun restriction for a while so even if i do find the 308 at a great price i cant get it.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Way to hot to hit the range so went gun shopping.

I was looking for a 308 but was talking to a friend i normally go gun buying with and that bastard talked me in to a 45/70 that a different friend had for sale at a good price.
    New toy - Henry 45/70 brass receiver octagon barrel and Large-loop lever, gun was not used still had the box for it $500 and along with 60 rounds of ammo.
    I am not looking forward to feeding this rifle at $1.75 a round its as bad as my 300 win mag.

Also picked up a junk Stephens bolt action 22 as a project gun to see if i can make it a usable gun again, it is in really bad shape but it was free.

Yep back on gun restriction for a while so even if i do find the 308 at a great price i cant get it.
    Gun restriction

That Henry is a nice rifle and would make a great bush gun. The bullets would not deflect easily and you could drop pretty much anything up to and including an elephant with that. Great price on it too.............I can see why you didn't pass it up.

Make sure you take some before photo's of the .22 so we can see what it looked like before you started working on it.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Soaking the 22 in oil right now.
    The rust appears to be only on the outside of the gun the action and rifling look fine and i found a few cracks in the stock.
    It will most likely just end up repairing and paint it due to no value, i am thinking orange and black

The 45/70 is going to get a scope on it tomorrow i found a QCB bug buster scope in my closet, cheap as hell but i really do not need much scope on a 100 to 200 yard gun just something i can see.
    Bifocals suck for iron sights so i have to use a low power scope with thick cross hairs or i may pick up a fixed power 3x32.

This week is my birthday so i got off gun restriction picked up 100 rounds for the 45/70 "that stuff is not cheap" and i ordered everything i need to reload it also

Update: i did use the UTG bug buster scope it fit perfectly with out removing the rear iron sight.
    I test fitted a few scopes i had and this one worked the best, before i sight it in i think i might pick up a fixed power scope in the same size to see if i like it better.
    Eye relief is where i was having problems with other scopes and a 40mm would require me removing the rear iron or get taller rings.
    I wanted a short scope mounted low almost like a pistol scope and the only one that fit the bill was the Bugbuster that i already had.

Now i am down to 2 guns i want a 308 and a 50 bmg and maybe a few more hand guns

finally got a photo hosting site that works.
    You can see how close the scope is to the iron sights, the eye re-leaf is damn near perfect for my bifocals i may move it one more notch forward to keep form beating my glasses up.
    I cant find a KONUS 4x 32mm anywhere locally so i may have to order it just to look at it and see if i like it better.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 08-18-2018 at 01:54 PM.

And i just made a deal on a New in the box Savage 93 22 mag sight unseen, like a needed a new 22 mag but i could not pass it up. $100
    Safe is full and gun cabinet is getting full.

The rust is so bad on that Stephens bolt action 22 that i will have to oil it down for a few months before i start working on it.
    34 guns and around 18k rounds of mixed ammo not counting reloading supply's i think i have a addiction or something.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 08-18-2018 at 01:42 PM.

And i just made a deal on a New in the box Savage 93 22 mag sight unseen, like a needed a new 22 mag but i could not pass it up. $100
    Safe is full and gun cabinet is getting full.

The rust is so bad on that Stephens bolt action 22 that i will have to oil it down for a few months before i start working on it.
    34 guns and around 18k rounds of mixed ammo not counting reloading supply's i think i have a addiction or something.

Love the Henry.....scope looks good on it!

The Savage .22 magnum looks like a fun rifle.

You're not an addict, you're an avid collector!

I cant walk out the door with out finding a gun deal now days.
    I did pick up the Savage 93 22 mag today but while i was doing that i got a line on a 308 damn its hard to pass up but i am not pushing my luck.
    While making room for it in the safe i found my Marlin 983T 22 mag , i will have to get them both scoped the same and do a range trip to see what one i like better.

When i got home the wife did not say a thing about the new gun i think she is giving up that or she just bought something expensive to get even.

I cant walk out the door with out finding a gun deal now days.
    I did pick up the Savage 93 22 mag today but while i was doing that i got a line on a 308 damn its hard to pass up but i am not pushing my luck.
    While making room for it in the safe i found my Marlin 983T 22 mag , i will have to get them both scoped the same and do a range trip to see what one i like better.

When i got home the wife did not say a thing about the new gun i think she is giving up that or she just bought something expensive to get even.
    LOL - Mine would buy something expensive....likely pottery (she collects Art Deco pottery). Well, I do have a .308 Savage 99 lever action I plan on selling but I imagine you wouldn't want it, the trigger pull on it's 8+ lb's and you can't adjust that on a Savage 99 (I know, I tried) I have another 99 with a 4 lb trigger which is my backup hunting rifle now that my Remington 700 has become my main one. Before I bought the Remmy, I had the stiff trigger 99 as my spare and the other was my main.

Well, finished up another successful hunting season yesterday. It was just myself, Greg and John on our annual hunt out west the first week of Nov. Greg filled his special draw calf moose tag and bagged a nice whitetail doe. John didn't fill his antlered mule deer tag. I probably could have for him as the one he did take a poke at was 450 yards away but it was his tag and it would be illegal for me to shoot it for him. I only got drawn for cow elk and had my 'general whitetail' tag (good for either sex from Nov 1 to the 7th) but didn't see any I wanted and prefer to hunt them around home as we have an abundance of whitetail's around home. We didn't see any elk so no joy there :(

Got a nice 9 point whitetail buck Friday morning about 10 min's after sunrise (legal is 30 min's before sunrise to 30 min's after sunset) He was definitely rutting as he followed a doe in from around 600 yards to 354 where I put one through his heart. Went back to the same field the next morning and filled my doe tag (we can get two supplemental doe tags for this area - like I said, we're overrun with them locally) about 15 minutes after sunrise on a beautiful clear morning with perfect light. Had I been able to hunt my cow elk tag (only good in that zone I got drawn for it out west) I could have filled it that morning as there were 5 cow's (well, 4 adult cows and one baby) in the field when I first got there. I took the doe at 358 yards with a heart shot.

Since I have a high-end scope with a ballistic turret, I bought a Leupold laser range finder so I can be accurate on the long shots. That's how I know the exact ranges on those shots. The combination of my Remington 700 VTR with a Timney trigger (set to 3 lb's) with my Swarovski scope is proving to be a wonderful setup. I added a Kwik Klip to it as well as I much prefer a removable magazine to that lousy trap door setup so many bolt actions come with from the factory!

I'm already looking forward to next year when hopefully my younger brother will join us and have a bull moose, cow elk, antlered mule and a general whitetail tag. It'll be his first ever hunting trip and we'll get to see how he does in the field with his high-end sniper rifle. He's a cop and was in tactical and took the sniper training. His rifle with the $2500.00 Nightforce scope is the reason I ended up buying the Swarovski. Once you look through quality glass it's hard to go back to a $100 Bushnell...........LOL He recently made Sergeant and is now in charge of his own squad but got to keep his sniper rifle as he's a backup sniper in case of need. I was really hoping he could make it this year but he had other commitments that precluded him from joining us this year.

So, how was hunting for those of you that hunt??

Took a trip up to Grice's gun shop two weeks back and bought a Sig P220 Super Match. Finally had a chance to take it to the range on Saturday. Ran some 180 gr and 230 gr ammo through it. Both shot very nice and I had some good groupings. My intention was to get a gun that would make the trip to range with me all the time. I'm happy with my decision. Now to save up for a Browning .22 for the same reason.
    Yay! Cigars!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    Took a trip up to Grice's gun shop two weeks back and bought a Sig P220 Super Match. Finally had a chance to take it to the range on Saturday. Ran some 180 gr and 230 gr ammo through it. Both shot very nice and I had some good groupings. My intention was to get a gun that would make the trip to range with me all the time. I'm happy with my decision. Now to save up for a Browning .22 for the same reason.

very nice gun you picked.
    when you say browning are you talking about a buck mark? if so they are also a great pick i grabbed the railed version last year and love it, i put a green dot on it and its almost like cheating

Sorry i have not been keeping up on the internet stuff for the last year or so, my wife got caner and did not win the fight.
    She did get even for all the new guns before she passed away and got a new car that she drove 2 times

i have picked up a few guns in the last year (i think 8 or 10) and even built a 1911 to occupy my time "do not try to build a 1911 unless you like aggravation.
    I am going gun shopping today looking for a cheap 20 gauge so no telling what i will end up with.

Blog Entries

Damn sorry to hear about your Mrs., Gregg....you have my condolences.

Sorry to hear about your wife Mangy.

And yeah, I have my eye on one of the Buck Marks. I'm thinking a longer barrel, maybe the 7 1/4" Contour URX. Or the Medallion Rosewood, which is very nice looking. I did see they have some with bull barrels, might see about looking for one of them. Who knows, gotta save first.
    Yay! Cigars!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your wife Mangy.

And yeah, I have my eye on one of the Buck Marks. I'm thinking a longer barrel, maybe the 7 1/4" Contour URX. Or the Medallion Rosewood, which is very nice looking. I did see they have some with bull barrels, might see about looking for one of them. Who knows, gotta save first.
    I hate to tell you what i paid for my bull barrel railed buckmark $170 out the door, gander outdoors was moving and i stacked discounts on it.
    I tossed a green dot sight on it and it is like cheating shooting it.

I spent a few grand on that moving sale, picked up a beretta storm, a buck mark, 2 century arms C308's, 2 30-06's and a bunch of scopes.

Well i actually came home with the gun i went shopping for.

Mossberg maverick 88 in 20 gauge i damn near picked up a herry golden boy "like i need another 22lr" but i stuck to my plan and got the shotgun then promptly bought a bunch of 12 gauge and 16 gauge ammo and forgot to get ammo for the 20 lol

One nice thing about having so many guns is i can easily find ammo to shoot something.

I forgot i picked up a savage axis 6.5 creedmoor the other day , how the hell do you forget you bought a gun?

When my wife was in the hospital for one of her extended stays we were talking about guns and she asked me how many i had, my stupid self told her somewhere between 30 to 50 and then doubled down on stupidity and told her how much ammo i had between 15 to 20k rounds.

Well the day she got out i had to go on a Easter egg hunt looking for all my guns after i found 21 hand guns i gave up and did not even bother looking for long guns i just accepted the ass chewing.
    never under any circumstances tell your wife how many guns you have even if she has guns her self.

I forgot i picked up a savage axis 6.5 creedmoor the other day , how the hell do you forget you bought a gun?

When my wife was in the hospital for one of her extended stays we were talking about guns and she asked me how many i had, my stupid self told her somewhere between 30 to 50 and then doubled down on stupidity and told her how much ammo i had between 15 to 20k rounds.

Well the day she got out i had to go on a Easter egg hunt looking for all my guns after i found 21 hand guns i gave up and did not even bother looking for long guns i just accepted the ass chewing.
    never under any circumstances tell your wife how many guns you have even if she has guns her self.
    Sincere condolences Mangy.

I don't have quite your problem. I only have 3 hunting rifles, two shotguns and two .22 rifles. I also have two handguns as well but that's about it for me. Now my hunting partner and good friend is another matter. You and he would get along famously I'm sure. You have him beat in the pistol department, he only has about 10.........but I think he has you beat in the long rifle department. Of course, he did inherit his father's when his dad passed away in 2012 so that almost double his long gun collection!

Blog Entries

Gregg, so sorry to hear about your wife.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information