Thread: Humidor wont get about 63 RH

1. Default Humidor wont get about 63 RH

Relative newbie here but I got my first humidor. Did all the seasoning steps, and it was huming along at 68% RH for a week or so, now going into week two it wont get above 63% RH (outside is only 59% or so). The meter is fine. I have added more water to the sponge and it doesnt seem to be doing anything to bring the RH higher. Ideas? Is there something I am missing.

Thanks,

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board. If you're sure your hygro is calibrated correctly, check the humi for leakage.

3. Default

the meter is calibrated right. I got it back up to 65% and then it stopped for a day and I added more water to the sponge and now its actually back down to 63%.....I am at a complete loss as to what is going on.

Its a pretty nice electronic meter as well and it was close to 70% when I tested it at the store.

Any other thoughts?

4. Default

I keep mine at 65 or so. I dont have an answer for you but your cigars will be much more smokeable at 63 rh than 70 rh. Trust me Ive been smoking longer than 1/2 the dudes on this board have been alive
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

How many cigars are in there?

too few and it won't stabilize properly
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

6. Default

About 30 or so. I put about 5 more in there yesterday that I got in the mail which may be the reason for the drop the second time, but it should kick back with the sponge in there right? the humidor is probably 75% full or so.

7. Default

down to 61% now even though I refilled it a day ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by biltritewave View Post
    down to 61% now even though I refilled it a day ago.
    Did you ever do the dollar bill or flashlight test? How did you test the hygro at the store?

9. Default

whats the dollar bill test? The gauge is electronic and i turned it on in the store and it was at 71%,

Blog Entries

Search is your friend. You need to salt test your hygro before you do anything else.

11. Default

the instructions on it specifically say NOT to do that.

its this one btw

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?pa...&itemcode=3HDC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by biltritewave View Post
    the instructions on it specifically say NOT to do that.

its this one btw

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?pa...&itemcode=3HDC
    Well then, I got nuthin' for ya. I salt test my hygro's a couple of times a year, have tested my humi's to ensure a tight seal, and damn if they don't stay steady at 65% - 68% which is right where I prefer them for smoking.

I think some one sells test packs for hygros. If you don't want to do that, go to wally world and get a $6 hygro, salt test it and compare it to the one you have. I bet yours is off!

Rich

14. Default

i have a non digital hygrometer and am currently conducting the salt test on it and then i will toss it in there and compare to the digital.

three things i noticed when re-reading the idiots guide to a new humidor

1. It says never "overcharge" the humdifier. I keep add a bunch of distilled to it until i see water pooling on the top, shake out the excess, pat it dry and put it in? I am not sure how you would tell if there was water in there if not. Comments?

2. The old school hyrometer doesn't appear to have a calibrartion screw or anything on it, but perhaps i am wrong. Where would it be? the only open thing i see is the coil on the back of it. It is this model.
    http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?pa...temcode=3HY106

3. I live in a pretty humid climate (washington d.c., at least for the time being), how is it possible then that the RH keeps dropping when the air outside is humid?

Welcome to the forum. I live in Northern VA, what part of DC are you in? I have no problems with my humi's but I'm using the RH beads which are great and well worth the money.

We have a small herf planned for the 3rd if you are interested send me a PM.

Nate
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

16. Default

who the heck lives in a town called manasses LOL
    The older I get ,the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    who the heck lives in a town called manasses LOL

touche salesman
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Smile Welcome!

Welcome to the boards, you will find your answer. All these guys are great at helping out. Welcome from one newbie to another. Roger.
    Just another day at the office!

19. Default

so, the meter was running a pretty steady 63-60% in the cheap humidor i had so i decide to change some things up. i put all my smokes in a big tuperware container with one sponge that i had just filled and the electronic meter and over the course of 20 minutes the meter steadily rose to where it's at now at about 82%. Some of the cigars seemed a tad on the dry side so I assume that gradually they will reabsorb some moisture and the RH will drop to a more normal level right? I am a bit worried because I am going way for the weekend and dont want to leave them in a wet tupperware box to get soggy if thats not the case.

or am i ruining all my cigars? i think i have given up on the humidor as being unable to hold anything but the tupperware container should be good to go right?

Thread Information