Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The bar is over!

Default The bar is over!

So I'm finally getting back to my "normal" life I have just completed the Bar exam in Maryland today which I'm confident I passed, and I'm glad I don't have to study anymore (I've been studying for the past 2 months+ and haven't been on here much). Hopefully my score will be high enough to waive into DC as well. Unfortunately, I have to wait till November for the results.

On top of finishing the Bar today, I also received a Job offer with the government so I'm feeling on top of the world.

Now I get to celebrate for a few days with a couple of cigars and brews.
    If I can't smoke because smoking will kill me then life isn't worth living.

-Ian Fleming

You could be working for the only employer the US will have in a few years. Save a spot for me as Cigar Czar please.

And congrats! drink up!
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Blog Entries

Congrats!!! Be sure to slip a smoke or two in with the drinks.

Congratulations! I love the feeling of relief after finishing a big exam. It's like a weight has been lifted from your shoulders. Enjoy the next few days of celebration.

Out of curiosity, how long does the exam take?
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

Sweet, dude! Congradulations- big time! Would you be a contractor or an actual government employee?
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Mark,

Congrats! Enjoy your celebrations, you earned it.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

Congrats! Take some time to relax and enjoy life a bit now that you have that off your shoulders!
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

Congrats! Was all that pesky law-school stuff really necessary? I've heard that several states allow you to take the bar without actually attending law school; instead, you have to be mentored by a lawyer for a number of years. I want to say California has that law in place.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Nice.... Another lawyer... Like we need more...

Congrats! You should feel satisfied - you've had an incredibly difficult journey to this point and made it to the huge oasis.

Now for the next piece of bad news - you get to wake up in the morning realizing you have to work... Trust me - you'll be wishing your work was being graded by a professor so you know where you stand. Bosses aren't always so kind...

Congrats, I can tell you my wife was just as relieved when she took her psychology boards...what part of the the justice department offered you the job?
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.”
    - George Burns

“I have to laugh when I think of the first cigar, because it was probably just a bunch of rolled up tobacco leaves”
    - Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Congrats! Was all that pesky law-school stuff really necessary? I've heard that several states allow you to take the bar without actually attending law school; instead, you have to be mentored by a lawyer for a number of years. I want to say California has that law in place.

I think it's Vermont. But you generally can't join other state bars by motion nor be admitted pro hac.

And congrats. Member of the NH bar myself. Never going to take that exam again.

Congrats! Enjoy your much deserved down-time and smoke a few good sticks.

Thanks everyone for your posts. To answer a few of the questions the bar exam takes 12 hours in Maryland it's two days of hell and 6 hours each day. The first day is all written essays, the second day is all multiple choice. The multiple choice sounds like it would be easy but the people who make the test seem to create situations that would never happen, and purposely try and trick you in to selecting what the right answer should based on what is the most "fair" answer but isn't because of some obscure law or fine point.

As far as I know every state in the US requires a person who wants to take the bar exam to graduate from an ABA approved Law School, except for the State of California. Years ago the Law School part was not required (I'm guessing around 1950's ish).

The Job offer is for the government itself with America's Favorite Agency.... The IRS (at least I know they'll be around for a while since I don't see taxes going away anytime soon, and the way taxes seem to be going I have a feeling the agency will be growing).

-Ian Fleming

Major Congrats! Must be nice to have that elephant of your shoulders.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 597 View Post
    As far as I know every state in the US requires a person who wants to take the bar exam to graduate from an ABA approved Law School, except for the State of California. Years ago the Law School part was not required (I'm guessing around 1950's ish).
    If I remember correctly, you had to work for four years under direct supervision from a lawyer in order to qualify for the bar exam. I knew a couple of guys that began on that path, but eventually burned out. For one, finding a lawyer that is willing to mentor you for that long is daunting enough. Secondly, many guys figure the two years spent in law school is the better route to go, anyways.

I think studying law would be really cool - but I'd never want to take the bar.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Hopefully no essay question on the rule against perpetuities...

It's over -- enjoy some down time before the daily grind begins.

Quote Originally Posted by EGQ View Post
    Hopefully no essay question on the rule against perpetuities...

It's over -- enjoy some down time before the daily grind begins.
    Yeah there were no essays on the rule against perpetuities. The Maryland Bar Exam actaully specifically states there will be no essays on the subject (one of my bar prep teachers said that even the examiners don't understand it).

-Ian Fleming

Plus in more and more states you can opt out of the rule anyway.

Congrats man!

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

I can't even begin to imagine how difficult taking the bar exam must be. I had all I could handle graduating from Seminary and that was a trial too, with tests and orals. It is just amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it. I am happy that you are able to kick back and relax now for a while, and with a nice job waiting for you, you gotta be very happy about that! God bless your new vocation! Congratulations and smoke one for me! Roger.
    Just another day at the office!

Thread Information