Thread: Reconsituting Cigars

1. Default Reconsituting Cigars

Hey everyone, I'm a beginner to cigars and this is my first post on here.

Anyway I bought a couple of tubed cigars in Europe about 6 weeks ago (Montecristo Edmundo and Romeo y Julieta Romeo no. 2). I just recieved and seasoned my humidor, and I was wondering if there would be any problem with putting them in there at this point. Thanks.

It really will depend on how dry they are to begin with.

I'm a contractor in Iraq and it takes 10 days to 3 weeks for me to get cigars, so I have an extra humidor used solely for my recent shipments that I keep around 50 - 55% RH. This allows them time to slowly come back to a decent level before I drop them into my primary humidor that stays around 70 - 72% RH.

I would recommend you slowly bring them back to a proper moisture level or they might burst and ruin them.

Kris

3. Default

Thanks. Maybe I'll invest in a cheap humidor for that.

For what it's worth I got them in Munich from what appeared to be a very reputable cigar shop. I've only bought cigars a few times and they've always been tubed, I figured that was best since I didn't have a humidor. Now that I do, is it better to buy cigars that aren't tubed?

Blog Entries

I'm assuming these are Cuban. (All Cuban tubes are sealed. Not all cigar tubes are sealed.)

As long as the seal on the tube is good and the tube hasn't been opened, then just put them in the humidor. The seal (in Cubans) is usually waxed cardboard, so re-use/re-sealing may or may not work repeatedly.

Once inside the humidor, you can unscrew the lid slightly to allow air circulation (assuming you're going to smoke them within the next few years).

Tubed cigars were originally marketed to sportsmen, and meant to preserve a cigar outside a humidor. Tubos were also sold by railways (and then in airplanes), and even have a small sheet of cedar inside to help control humidity within the tube.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Thread Information