Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for supper?

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Dude! That looks awesome.

The wife introduced me to artichokes some years back and I love them. I'd love to try grilling them. Would you be willing to give me some details on how you prep and cook them?

I'm looking at replacing my cheap ass, 7 yr old grill next spring. Now you've got me researching ceramic cookers......LOL
    Thank you, and it was delicious.

Fruits and veggies on the grill I usually keep pretty simple. For the artichoke I boiled it for about 15 minutes. Then just cut it in half, grill it flesh side down for about 1 beer (Sweetwater 420 I think that day) or around 15 min. on Med / High heat. The mango went on at the same time, but no pre-boil required.

When I pulled them off I put some sea salt, cracked black pepper and lemon juice on the artichoke. We like them with either a little bit of melted butter for dipping or our favorite, my homemade lemony hollandaise sauce. For the mango, just drizzle with a little honey and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    Thank you, and it was delicious.

Fruits and veggies on the grill I usually keep pretty simple. For the artichoke I boiled it for about 15 minutes. Then just cut it in half, grill it flesh side down for about 1 beer (Sweetwater 420 I think that day) or around 15 min. on Med / High heat. The mango went on at the same time, but no pre-boil required.

When I pulled them off I put some sea salt, cracked black pepper and lemon juice on the artichoke. We like them with either a little bit of melted butter for dipping or our favorite, my homemade lemony hollandaise sauce. For the mango, just drizzle with a little honey and you're good to go.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it!

I'm going to have to try this soon..........soon's we find some more artichokes. I'm not sure why but they're not common up where I'm living. We've been finding them at Wal-Mart (of all places.....LOL) in the big city. The wife is off to the city on Wednesday so I'm going to get her to stop and look for some so I can try that out.

Typically she boils them. All she does is add a bunch of garlic to the water and toss em in until they're done. We've been dipping them in Miracle Whip but I'd like to try a hollandaise. Crap, now I'm hungry......LOL
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Default Pork Shoulder on The Egg

Liberal amount of soaked Pecan and Hickory chips.

Pork shoulder slathered with yellow mustard and copious amounts of John Henry's Apple Rub.

Some apple juice in the pan.

Good to go here.

Set it and forget it. The Egg maintained a perfect 250 deg. for just under 5 hours.

Desired temperature reached, time to pull this bad boy off, wrap in foil, then a towel and into the cooler until we're ready to eat.

Bad pic, I know, but look at that bone come out so clean.

No caption required....

Served it up with some homemade coleslaw, southwestern baked beans, some pickles and siracha for dipping. Awesome!!!!

That almost looks too good. My mouth is watering just from the pictures.
    "It was a pleasure to burn." - Ray Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by Cody44 View Post
    That almost looks too good. My mouth is watering just from the pictures.
    Thank you, it really was great! Amazing what a low and slow cook on a cheap cut of meat will do.

Default Prime Rib on The Egg

This is a cut I do a few times of year because it is just ridiculously good. I usually get it with the bone in, but my butcher didn't have any left. Worked out just fine though.

Just a small, little 4 pounder, nicely trimmed.

Olive Oil, Worsteshire, some spices and lots of herbs.

Hickory and Pecan chips. Mirepoix in water, I sometimes turn into an au jous. Indirect heat at 325 deg.

Pull it off at 135 deg., because it will still cook while resting. I want it to finish at about 140 deg. for a perfect medium rare.

After resting for about 30 minutes.....It's dinner time!!!

GT, your food looks phenomenal!

That's just awesome GT, thanks for posting everything a guy needs to know to make that himself!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

GT, you have to stop with these posts. I've eaten 2 computer monitors now.

Seriously, I think I may need to make an investment in a nice smoker next year. I have a little one that was my neighbors and I have smoked twice now on it. I really like slow cooking, not only is the food really good, but it gives me time and an excuse to hang out, drink beer, smoke cigars, and not mow my yard. All things that I just happen to love.

Quote Originally Posted by FightingFish View Post
    GT, your food looks phenomenal!
    Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    That's just awesome GT, thanks for posting everything a guy needs to know to make that himself!
    Glad you enjoyed them. I don't think I'll be publishing a cookbook anytime soon. So, I love sharing tips, tricks and recipes for outdoor cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    GT, you have to stop with these posts. I've eaten 2 computer monitors now.

Seriously, I think I may need to make an investment in a nice smoker next year. I have a little one that was my neighbors and I have smoked twice now on it. I really like slow cooking, not only is the food really good, but it gives me time and an excuse to hang out, drink beer, smoke cigars, and not mow my yard. All things that I just happen to love.
    Those are some of my favorite things also. I actually use my Egg as an grill and an oven more often than I use it as a low and slow smoker though. It's great for anything, just my preference in cooking style. The versatility in a Kamado style cooker is awesome! But, if you just want a smoker, you can pick one up for $30 at Home Depot that works just fine.

Blog Entries

The little one I have from my neighbor isn't bad actually, it's just old and looks like it may fall apart at any moment. I know the eggs are a bit pricey, but you are about to convince me I just need to take the dive with your posts. If I do, they owe you a commission.

Blog Entries

I'm taking my second shot at smoking pork shoulder today. Smoker is almost to temp.

I'm taking my second shot at smoking pork shoulder today. Smoker is almost to temp.
    Nice. Let us know how it turns out. Pics would be nice too.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Today I made mozzarella cheese. So I made Caprice with that and tomatoes and basil, and we had a sick cut pork chop and zucchini and sweet potato as well all cooked on the campfire. very nice!
    Just another day at the office!

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344172078.318848.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	3072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344172095.208446.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	3073

Pictures aren't great but here is the pork shoulder I smoked yesterday. It was better than my first one but it can still improve. I'm getting better at controlling the heat of the smoker. I wanted to take it to 190 so I could shred it better, but the neighbors we were eating with were getting hungry so I had to pull it at 165.

GT, your prime rib looked amazing. I'm going to try one of those soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344172078.318848.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	3072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344172095.208446.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	3073

Pictures aren't great but here is the pork shoulder I smoked yesterday. It was better than my first one but it can still improve. I'm getting better at controlling the heat of the smoker. I wanted to take it to 190 so I could shred it better, but the neighbors we were eating with were getting hungry so I had to pull it at 165.

GT, your prime rib looked amazing. I'm going to try one of those soon.
    Looks good, nice bark. I bet it was delicious. I used to cook the shoulders to 165 as well. It wasn't until my brother in law showed me the way a couple years ago that I began giving it more time in the smoker. On your present set up I would probably think another 3 to 4 hours would do it...plenty of time to drink beer, smoke cigars and not mow the grass.

Thanks for the compliment on my prime rib. You'll love it if you end up cooking one.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Today I made mozzarella cheese. So I made Caprice with that and tomatoes and basil, and we had a sick cut pork chop and zucchini and sweet potato as well all cooked on the campfire. very nice!
    That sounds really good!!! How do you make your own mozzarella, and what is a "sick" cut pork chop? I love the way food tastes when it's cooked over a campfire.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    That sounds really good!!! How do you make your own mozzarella, and what is a "sick" cut pork chop? I love the way food tastes when it's cooked over a campfire.
    Not sick but thick lol....

The cheese was made out of regular whole milk that you buy in the grocery store. But you can't use the double pasteurized or in other words the"Organic" variety.

But the process is pretty easy although you need to keep track of temperature and stuff. You measure out a cup of water cold that's non-chlorinated and you add to it a quarter to a half of a rennet tablet. In a separate cup you measure a cup of water cold with a teaspoon and a half of citric acid. After that you put your milk in a container for heating on the stove that's big enough to hold the entire gallon. Then you stir the citric acid mixture into the milk and stir for a little bit and then you Heat it to 90° stirring constantly. When it reaches 90° then take it off the heat and add stirring the rennet solution. The milk is covered so that you can hold the temperature over that period of time between seven minutes and a half an hour it depends on the quality of your acid and rennet. After you find that the curd has set up in the milk then you run a knife through it and then you heat the curd up to 110°. After this you strain the curd from the whey I use a fine mesh sieve. The whey gets heated up 185° in the pot and then you add the curd to the hpt whey but in the cheese cloth or sieve you're using. So then the process as a matter of dipping that curd into the hot whey for about 15 seconds and then pulling it out and then stretching it and starting to form it you have to do it three times and as you do it it gets more elastic. Finally you form it into a along loaf either single or double or whatever type of of variety you want. Finally you put it in ice water to let it cool down and solidify. That's pretty much it. And it's delicious!
    Just another day at the office!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Not sick but thick lol....

The cheese was made out of regular whole milk that you buy in the grocery store. But you can't use the double pasteurized or in other words the"Organic" variety.

But the process is pretty easy although you need to keep track of temperature and stuff. You measure out a cup of water cold that's non-chlorinated and you add to it a quarter to a half of a rennet tablet. In a separate cup you measure a cup of water cold with a teaspoon and a half of citric acid. After that you put your milk in a container for heating on the stove that's big enough to hold the entire gallon. Then you stir the citric acid mixture into the milk and stir for a little bit and then you Heat it to 90° stirring constantly. When it reaches 90° then take it off the heat and add stirring the rennet solution. The milk is covered so that you can hold the temperature over that period of time between seven minutes and a half an hour it depends on the quality of your acid and rennet. After you find that the curd has set up in the milk then you run a knife through it and then you heat the curd up to 110°. After this you strain the curd from the whey I use a fine mesh sieve. The whey gets heated up 185° in the pot and then you add the curd to the hpt whey but in the cheese cloth or sieve you're using. So then the process as a matter of dipping that curd into the hot whey for about 15 seconds and then pulling it out and then stretching it and starting to form it you have to do it three times and as you do it it gets more elastic. Finally you form it into a along loaf either single or double or whatever type of of variety you want. Finally you put it in ice water to let it cool down and solidify. That's pretty much it. And it's delicious!

Wow that is easy. Only question I have is, do you start the milk straight from the fridge or bring it to room temp first?

J/K....I believe I will continue to buy my fresh mozzarella from Costco. Thanks for the recipe though.

wow, theGreekTitan makes some serious food!
    Out of all the interwebs and www's, I can say that this is my favorite smoke shop

Thread Information