Thread: Cuba tells smokers to take it outside

HAVANA (AFP) - Cuba may be world famous for its tobacco but the communist government -- led by ex-smoker Fidel Castro (news - web sites) -- has decided to ban smoking in public places starting next month.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="1%" align=left><T>
    <T>
    <TR vAlign=top>
    <TD width="99%">
    <CENTER>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=150><T>
    <T>
    <TR vAlign=top>
    <TD>
    <CENTER>
    </CENTER></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></CENTER>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=150 bgColor=#6198e1><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%"><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD align=middle bgColor=#abcbf4 colSpan=2></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" bgColor=#e6f1f9><T>
    <T>
    <TR vAlign=top>
    <TD align=middle></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD align=middle></TD></TR></></T></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD>
    <TD width=5></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

The ban will take place February 6, just one part of a broader anti-smoking initiative, authorities say. Tobacco products also will then be sold only to people over 16; there is currently no age minimum.

And cigarette vending machines will go the way of the dodo, the government says.

More than half of Cuban adults and a large percentage of young adults smoke, mainly strong cigarettes.

So ingrained is the smoking habit that government rationing cards distributed to every Cuban for basic foodstuffs give those born before 1955 four packs of cigarettes a month at a bargain seven cents (US) each. The regular price per pack is 26 cents (US).

The government said that the new initiatives, aside from underscoring the health consequences of smoking, are meant to respect non-smokers' rights.

The smoking ban will apply to all closed public venues including offices, theatres, buses, taxis, trains, schools, food preparation areas and sports arenas.

In open and semi-open public places -- presumably most restaurants -- smoking and non-smoking sections will be set up.

Castro, once a passionate fan of Cuba's legendary cigars, snuffed out his last one in 1986 and officially took up anti-smoking campaigning. But this is the government's biggest, broadest bid yet to put a dent in the Cuba's nicotine fix.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&amp;u=/afp/cubah ealthsmokingEdited by: cockyhoskins

Blog Entries

That's kind of amusing. It seems like everyone is turning against us smokers. As long as they don't try to tell me that I can't smoke on my porch or in my car, I'm fine.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Maryland actually tried to pass a law recently that prohibited smoking period, even outside or on your private property. Of course, it didn't pass, but they were trying to make a statement.

Blog Entries

Sure, lets start locking people up for smoking tobacco, we have plenty of empty beds in our judicial system...

*rolls eyes*
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Thread Information