Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frigid Kitty Reviews

Blog Entries

Default Frigid Kitty Reviews

Well, since I suffer from cold pussy syndrome (CPS) and tend to limit the size of my smokes during the winter months, I thought I would start a thread for reviews of smaller cigars...Petit Coronas, Coronas, etc.

To kick off the reviews, what could be more appropriate than a Fire petite corona:
    4 X 40
    Honduras
    Maduro wrapper
    Nic / Honduran Filler
    Med/Full strength / Full flavor

Got this smoke dropped on me by a generous BOTL here and smoked it last night in my cold ass garage with the kerosene heater going and 2 fingers of Balvennie.

Construction was nice, no outrageously ugly veins, evenly filled and uniformly firm. Light was easy, it is a PC after all. Burn was pretty even the whole way through the smoke. Smoke time was about 30-35 minutes, and I dropped it with around 1/2" left.

The smoke was spicy with just a bit of sweetness there. The finish was fairly long and pleasant. It tended toward the full side of medium as it burned down, some bitterness crept in but slowing down just a bit fixed that. Straight forward, decent smoke, not complex or layered, but nice and solid.

At the price these are going for on CI now, a box for the winter is within easy reach of most.

All of you that also suffer from CPS, and tend to choose smaller smokes during the winter, please feel free to post your reviews in this thread along with me.
    Last edited by ashauler; 12-18-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spellin'

Good idea on the shorty reviews.
    That fire one sounds pretty good...will have to give it a try, I am not really worried about the cold, but the time away from the other projects sometimes dictates a shorter smoke.

Keith

Blog Entries

Default Famous Buenos Maduritos

4 X 42
    Famous smoke shop exclusive
    All Nicaraguan made by Plasencia
    Maduro wrapper (also comes in a Natural version)
    Boxes of 40 are 39,99
    Smoke time 30 min

This is one of the best values for the $ for short smokes, imho. This is a stout cigar, full in body and flavor. When fresh they are almost on the bitter side and could be overpowering. Aged about a year, they mellow nicely and the bitter edge disappears completely.

The flavor is not subtle, no hints of hazelnut or freshly cut grass, just straight forward tobacco and plenty of white smoke. The construction on these has always been just fine and very consistent. The cigars are solid and well packed.

If you like full bodied / full flavored cigars, you cold pussy version is right here, imho.

Default Montecristo Memories

Montecristo Memories

4 x 33 small Little sucker

smoke time was around 5 to 8 min befor i ran my (CPS) self back in the house to warm up.
    rough construction it looks like they were made from scraps, wrinkly junk wrappers.
    I would have to say they are hand made, no machine rolled cigar looks this bad.
    the burn was what i expected from a small cigar nice white ash and a fast fairly even burn.
    they may have been a Little on the dry side.
    Taste was on the mild side to very mild it was not like smoking any Montecristo i have ever had.
    I would not say it was tasteless but it just didn't have much to offer in the way of taste.
    The memory of smoking it faded fast and i was wanting to smoke a better cigar the minute i got back in side the house, maybe thats why they named them memories

ill try one more this week just in case the one i had was a bad one.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

OK i could not stand it i had to give this little cigar a 2nd chance on my way to work.

After spending just one day in the coolerdor at 70% this Little cigar has really lived up to what i was expecting out of a Montecristo.
    The first one was way to dry for some reason, the white ash and fast burn should have clued me in.
    Tonights was really a tasty Little cigar. 20 min burn time and the ash was a light Gray with a decent tobacco taste, It is still a mild smoke but not bad at all.
    I smoked this one right down to where i was burring my fingers, this time it didn't leave me wanting more.

I think what really made the difference was me not freezing my ass off and rushing to get threw the cigar.
    I may have to pick some more of them up if i can get a good deal on Cbid.

Last edited by Mangyrat; 01-26-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    rushing to get threw the cigar.

You guys need to save up some airline miles and fly over here for a weekend. It's 70 here today, tomorrow, the next day... no CPS issues and we can sit outside all night. BYOC, I'll supply the scotch and beer.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

I think he THREW that one in there especially for you Buzz

Keith

I do need to start using caps on THREW so i stands out better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    I do need to start using caps on THREW so i stands out better.
    There is no i in THREW. lmfao

Blog Entries

Don Lino Habinito......hot, 10 minutes, tobacco flavor, better than a ciggarette. Why the fuck do I have 50 of these.

Partagas Spanish rosado satiago....4 x 36. Nice. More intense flavor than the larger vitolas, very nice, spicy, medium strength and body. Good construction, nice burn, all in all a good short smoke. About 35 minutes or so. I got interrupted and it went out once, a good purge at the relight and no bitterness.

Davidoff cigarillo.....wish I had 50 of these fuckers. Nice, good flavor, very short smoke 15 min, better flavor and did not burn as quickly or as hot as the Don Lino. Much better choice.

Partagas shorts.....yeah baby!!

Blog Entries

Let me know when you find one that you'd take over a Party Short :-).

(Or a Trinidad Reyes - although I don't think of a Reyes as something I'd enjoy smoking outside in the cold.)

Myself, I gave up smoking outside in cold weather. I haven't had a cigar since before Christmas :-(

Blog Entries

Thanks for the reviews. I have been looking for some quick smokes. Nice thread btw.
    It's good to know I check here for some information on quickies.
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Default Trini Petites

Trinidad Maduro
    Size 4 x 30
    Wrapper: Blackened Connecticut Broadleaf
    Binder: Ecuadorian Sumatra
    Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan and Peruvian
    I would have to say they are a medium strength cigar.

They come 8 to a tin, they are a very nicely made cigar.
    I really like Trinidad's and this little guy didn't disappoint me much, it lasted around 15 minutes with a decent tobacco taste.
    It did get a little "slightly" stronger tasting and bitter on the finish. "when i say finish I'm talking finger on fire i smoked this one right down to the point i had to drop it"
    Overall i liked it and will be getting more of them for them cold days or when i just don't have time for a larger cigar.

Last edited by Mangyrat; 01-26-2010 at 07:01 AM.

Default Onyx Reserve Impulse

Onyx Reserve Impulse
    Dominican
    Strength:Medium
    Ring Size : 4 x 30
    smoke time around 15 min.

This is another very well constructed cigar and just looks like it would be a damn good tasting smoke.
    It started out kind of mild with a little taste but after half a inch or so into it it became a good tasting cigar.
    the finish was good with a little peeper on the exhale.

They come in a Tin of 10

Last edited by Mangyrat; 01-30-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Flor de Copan Petite Corona.
    Honduras
    size: 5 x 42

First one was plugged and got tossed.
    2nd one was not plugged but tasted like crap, what little taste it had was bitter.
    The construction was sub standard, This was a bundled cigar and i expected it to look like a 2nd rate cigar but it looked even worse than i expected.
    The wrapper appeared to have been how should i say it, looked like it had a lot of wear and tear on it.
    If you have ever left a beer can in the back of you truck bed for 3 months and it rolled around till the paint wore off thats how it looked.
    It did have a even burn and good draw.
    I let it go out after 15 min, It just did not work for me.

i have 23 more of them so ill try them again later on maybe some of the others are in better condition, CI sent them to me in 5 packs so they must have been junk left over from returned or damaged bundles.

OK i smoked one more to see if it was any better, this time i picked one out that didn't look like it had rolled around in my truck bed for a week.
    Taste was a Little better construction was decent and this one was not plugged. The first 2 ruined my experience so I'm a little bias to them now.
    If you can pick them up on C-bid for $9 a bundel then give them a try.

Last edited by Mangyrat; 01-27-2010 at 03:30 PM.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

La Aurora Principes - Natural
    I just finnished smoking one of these, and I must say I was quite impressed. I don't believe I have smoked anything from La Aurora yet. After looking at reviews for them on a few different sites I noticed how much positive remarks were being made.

These little guys, 4x38 (I think that is right on the ring gauge) was actually quite a tasty stick. It was not too over powering, not mild, but I would say medium body smoke with hints of ceadar and leather. There was a bit of spicyness to the stick, all though not much.

My main issue with the cigar was the draw. It had a medium to tight draw on it. It took a little pinch to loosen the draw a bit and after I did that it smoked much better. The ash held for about 1/2 inch, that was about what I expected since this is a machine made stick. But I really enjoyed the flavor of this one, and if this is any indication of what La Aurora puts out in their regular stock of cigars, I will be very interested in trying some. It was quite the awesome little stick. I will definitely keep this on stock in my humi when I need a short smoke. I would say it took me about 35 to 40 minuets to smoke it with an inch to spare.
    Just another day at the office!

Blog Entries

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 juniors
    size-4X38
    Just picked up a tin of 5 as a quick smoke. Now I'm hard pressed to describe them adequately due to my newbie status, but I found it to be a delicious smoke.
    Last edited by Tdre977; 02-08-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: stupid wireless keyboard

Blog Entries

Default Illusione Chuchillo Cubanos 32

I wanted some quick smokes and they recommended these at my local B&M. They are really good smokes. A little pricey but very satisfying. I want to try the bigger ring gauge of the Cubanos now.
    I would say grab some of these if you want a quick tasty smoke.
    Last edited by EdgeMan; 02-10-2010 at 01:12 AM.
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

Default Por Larranaga ~ Corona Maduro

Well, I had to fire one of these up "right off the truck" today while on a walk with the dog. Perfect for my cold kitty.

Anyway, I can see where Donald was coming from with the "like a fireball minus sweetness" on the spice that's throughout this thing. I had a couple burn issues with it doing a canoe thing, so I touched it up.

The first third is really where most of the spice is. It's nice. It has some leather & oil notes during that part.

Second third, I had to do a purge, as it was getting a little bitter / ashy but it cleared up. Not too much sweetness for me, more on the oily side of the spectrum.

I'm in the third third now, and I'm not thinking that the flavors going to change radically. I'd really like to let these sit for a while (maybe 6 months) to see if some more flavors come out that are maybe masked by the spiciness & to reslove some of the burn issues, but it'll be hard to resist reaching for one, when I'm short on time.

Nice little cigar. Thanks for the split Donald!

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I'd really like to let these sit for a while (maybe 6 months) to see if some more flavors come out that are maybe masked by the spiciness & to reslove some of the burn issues, but it'll be hard to resist reaching for one, when I'm short on time.

Nice little cigar. Thanks for the split Donald!

Will
    Very good idea my friend.....somebody told me that worked pretty well.

Thread Information