Thread: What do I need to sell cigars online and how do I charge tobacco tax?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default What do I need to sell cigars online and how do I charge tobacco tax?

I am a licensed ecommerce reseller and I'm going to start selling cigars on my website. I have my connections in the cigar industry so I'm probably going to get them from wholesale. I've been trying to get in touch with the Nevada department that deals with tobacco (I'm in Las Vegas) to ask a few questions but they are unreachable and they never call back. I need to know

1. Do I need to charge cigar tax when selling online? Do I charge tax even when shipping out of state? If so, do I charge Nevada tax or tax for the state I ship to?

2. Do I need a tobacco license for selling cigars online?

I'd appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you.

If you don’t even know if you need a license to sell tobacco, or who to pay the State & Federal taxes to. Maybe you should find something else to “Re-sell”. Try Beanie Babies.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I am a licensed ecommerce reseller and I'm going to start selling cigars on my website. I have my connections in the cigar industry so I'm probably going to get them from wholesale. I've been trying to get in touch with the Nevada department that deals with tobacco (I'm in Las Vegas) to ask a few questions but they are unreachable and they never call back. I need to know

1. Do I need to charge cigar tax when selling online? Do I charge tax even when shipping out of state? If so, do I charge Nevada tax or tax for the state I ship to?

And you are already involved in e-commerce?

Blog Entries

Online cigar sales must include a 3.74% tax. Out of state shipment of cigars must be added the nevada tax plus 0.5 of the shipping states sales tax. Good luck on your new venture. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post

I don't see how you can sell anything - online or otherwise - until you have a federal, state and/or local tax ID. If you do - they'll make it abundantly clear how much you should send them. Make no mistake - they want your money!

Sounds like an Obama operative, SCHIP astroturfer, "cognitive infiltrator." The purpose of the question is to induce Big Brother fear into normal buy/sell/trade activity, causing members to question themselves and their activities:

"Gee, should I be charging tax? Do I need some sort of gummint-approved licensing? Will gubmint agents, who already monitor yard sales/church bazaars/Craig's list come looking for... ME?"

It's all a plot.

Sell them on ebay and use paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    Sell them on ebay and use paypal.
    ...and don't forget to mention in the transactions that you're selling "cigars" so they deduct the appropriate tax.

Well, howdy to you, too!

Thread Information