Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Load him up....he'll be needing all the coffee he can handle shortly.
    Don't you speak the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    Okay this is what I got from her, and it was like I was trying to get a national secret or something.

Mehmet Efendi, 8 O'Clock Bean, or any decent roast that is either already ground for Turkish coffee and sealed (like Mehmet Efendi) or is in bean form and you can get a really good grinder to grind it fresh. Espresso ground will not work, it has to be Turkish ground as it ends up being like moist talcum powder. She also said that preferably have a dedicated grinder for doing this because the adjustable ones at the grocery stores don't always work.
    Well, I won't tell anyone else.

I'm reluctant to purchase pre-ground coffee. On the other hand, I don't know how feasible it is for me to purchase a dedicated grinder for Turkish grinder. I've seen those Turkish grinders for sale on Amazon and other places, but I don't know that I'm ready to make that commitment.

I might, for the time being, take my chances with a known blend and the grinder setting at World Market. Maybe then I can go through a half-pound or so and compare that taste with what we enjoy now.

Thanks for the tip.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    I'm reluctant to purchase pre-ground coffee. On the other hand, I don't know how feasible it is for me to purchase a dedicated grinder for Turkish grinder. I've seen those Turkish grinders for sale on Amazon and other places, but I don't know that I'm ready to make that commitment.
    Go with the Mehmet .... my wife makes this one for me because I really like the flavor, and you can throw it in the fridge and it will last a long time.

Unfortunately in my house it doesn't because I enjoy it that much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    PM me your addy and I'll hook you up with some German Coffee.

Lopaka
    whats german coffee like?

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    whats german coffee like?
    kinda like...Vrooooom , vroom ...YAAAAAAHHHHHH.

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

Blog Entries

I do not drink coffee every day but when I drink coffee I drink many cups. I drink a lot of coffee when I go out to eat or on Friday nights hubby his cousin and I go though about 3 pots. I like 8 o'clock coffee and D&D coffee. I like to grind my own coffee too. We have a coffee grinder from early 1900's on our wall in the kitchen and we use it. I also have an electric grinder when I want the beans to be a really fine grind. Thats the bad part about the older grinders I just do not see them getting the bean finely ground. About 4 years ago I did email Mr. J about buying some of his deceased beans but he never emailed me back so I never got to try his coffee. I never thought about trying different coffee's like I have tried many different types of tea's but it might be a fun thing to try. In the trade I just did with Jamie I sent him a package of coffee of the Cuban blend and I am very curious tio find out what he thinks.
    Last edited by cinda; 03-27-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: spelling

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Blog Entries

I've been picking up various bags of Starbucks lately. I know, mainstream, but it's a start.

Had the House Blend, which is a medium roast the other week. Enjoyed that, and it was a little on the lighter side, as far as bitterness and oils. I'm not even sure that's how you describe coffee.

We moved then to the Columbian Blend which was a bit stronger, and a more full body. It was still a "medium roast" according to the bag.

Now, we're running the French Roast which is even further on the strength spectrum. I like it. I want to say it almost has a mushroom like smell in the bag. It is thick and dense brewed, and tasty.

We still run the 8 O'clock during the week days.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I like the Starbucks French Roast and Cafe Verona. Also give Seattle's Best Level 5 a try if you like fairly strong coffee.

I recently went a new direction, and bought a Keurig machine.... Now I'm dealing with a new "acquisition disorder". I think at last count, I have over 450 K-Cups of several varieties. I LOVE this machine!
    Quick, consistent, and zero wasted brewed coffee.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

What ever happened to mrjerry?

One of his new brands is "Ethiopean Mocha Sidamo"

"Ethiopean" jerry, now that's pretty funny! Did you forget how to spell "Ethiopian"?
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 06-24-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I've been picking up various bags of Starbucks lately. I know, mainstream, but it's a start.

Had the House Blend, which is a medium roast the other week. Enjoyed that, and it was a little on the lighter side, as far as bitterness and oils. I'm not even sure that's how you describe coffee.

We moved then to the Columbian Blend which was a bit stronger, and a more full body. It was still a "medium roast" according to the bag.

Now, we're running the French Roast which is even further on the strength spectrum. I like it. I want to say it almost has a mushroom like smell in the bag. It is thick and dense brewed, and tasty.

We still run the 8 O'clock during the week days.

Will

Will,
    Have you tried Mayorga's coffee? I have ordered a few bags from JR's along with my cigars. I have also ordered direct from Mayorga. The Nicaragaun is fantastic. If you order 5lbs at a time from Mayorga the S&h is free.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Will,
    Have you tried Mayorga's coffee? I have ordered a few bags from JR's along with my cigars. I have also ordered direct from Mayorga. The Nicaragaun is fantastic. If you order 5lbs at a time from Mayorga the S&h is free.
    I thought of that stuff & ordering while on JR. I'll have to check it out.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Enjoying some Trader Joe's house blend medium roast right now. It's a good everyday coffee - I want to say a can is under $5.

I can't drink straight black coffee anymore - the acidity really bothers my stomach. Instead, I've been using heavy whipping cream for several years now. We normally get the industrial-sized carton from Costco, but one carton went bad, and we just haven't had the time or patience to deal with Costco lately. Instead, I splurged on some heavy whipping cream from Strauss. Expensive, but exquisite.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

The sum total of my coffee knowledge:
    1. There are essentially two kinds of beans, Robusta and Arabica. One-third of coffee beans grown are Robusta, which is cheaper to grow, has twice the caffeine, but is thought to not taste as good as Arabica. Ergo, the cheaper the blend, the more Robusta.
    2. Grind beans immediately before brewing. Coffee hates air.
    3. The lighter the roast, the more caffeine is retained (for the same bean, etc.).
    4. If you put sugar in your coffee, then making it like café cubano seems to taste better to me. (Put turbinado/demerara sugar on top of the grinds before brewing.)
    5. Supposedly the best beans come out of a cat's ass, but I don't care.

Currently drinking a medium-roast Turquino with a PLPC - both ISOM (lol).
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

If you get a chance to try out Raven's Brew, do so. It's been my coffee staple as of late as Folger's now tears my stomach apart. Look around, and if you can get it, try some. It's one of the best things I've encountered out of Alaska/Washington State in awhile.
    If you can't find it, speak up....I'm thinking this summer is going to full of coffee bombs. :)

I had to get a new roaster a few months ago.
    This new one is kind of tricky to get the roast just right.
    Only do a half lb at a time but set it to 1 lb or the roast turns out to light.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmari...rs/behmor.html

over all my wife loves this roaster after she learned how to set it.

This is the 3rd different roaster we have tried for home roasting.
    Between it and the Technivorm Moccamaster coffee pot i have now acheaved the perfect cup of coffee

I really could not tell much difference in the taste of coffee using different grinders so I'm back to using a cheap blade grinder.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    The sum total of my coffee knowledge:

5. Supposedly the best beans come out of a cat's ass, but I don't care.

(lol).
    I cant get the cat's to eat the green coffee beans for some reason now lizards and bugs they have no problem eating, hell one Cat will even eat slugs but the Little fury killing machine will not touch coffee.

Blog Entries

I bought a cheap grinder that was on closeout after Christmas and I've noticed a world of difference when I grind the beans just before brewing. It's also easier to keep whole beans much longer than ground cofee, at least that's what I've found. We have a great local cofee shop that has about 20 different varieties of beans and roasts so I've got minor Coffee AD right now. Next step is to upgrade to a much better grinder.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Quote Originally Posted by denver24 View Post
    I bought a cheap grinder that was on closeout after Christmas and I've noticed a world of difference when I grind the beans just before brewing. It's also easier to keep whole beans much longer than ground cofee, at least that's what I've found. We have a great local cofee shop that has about 20 different varieties of beans and roasts so I've got minor Coffee AD right now. Next step is to upgrade to a much better grinder.
    That cheap coffee grinder has started you down the road to finding the perfect cup of coffee.

Ask your local coffee shop what days they roast and then pick up your coffee within a day or 2.

I use the 2/2/2 rule.
    Green coffee beans are good for 2 years.
    Roasted coffee beans are good for 2 weeks.
    Ground coffee is good for 2 days.

If you ever get in to roasting your own coffee beans let them sit in a air tight container for 12 to 24 hrs before grinding.

Always keep your coffee in a air tight container.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    I really could not tell much difference in the taste of coffee using different grinders so I'm back to using a cheap blade grinder.
    Not sure about taste, but I've heard you get a more consistent grind with a conical over a blade. I would think this would allow you to have all of your beans ground the same way, possibly getting the most out of your beans. Our cheap-o blade grinder never quite does the job right. I can grind the hell out of it and have some very fine granules and rougher granules, but if I'm making French Press I don't want to grind it that much and end up with whole beans. It's such a hassle to pour it back into the grinder....

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Ground coffee is good for 2 days.

Always keep your coffee in a air tight container.
    Ground coffee can be used longer, if you don't intend to drink it - we use grinds for baking sometimes, like in cakes, etc.
    Sometimes ground coffee is a necessary evil, like when you want chicory. I've only been able to find chicory coffee pre-ground. I suppose I could simply add my own chicory to my freshly ground coffee, though.

Gregg, where do you keep your air-tight container coffee? We've been keeping ours in the freezer, but especially with the darker roasts, the beans then stick together. It's not like we need to - we go through almost 2 cans a week.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I think that I'm the odd man out in this discussion but I'll add my $0.02 for what it's worth. I recently bought a new coffee maker and went for convenience rather than quality (although the quality is still very good).

I got a Keurig coffee maker that uses the k-cups. I know that everyone will say that you don't get the same flavor from this method but I love the fact that every morning I get up and hit a button and 1 minute later I have a great cup of coffee.

I thought that I would be restricted to what I could brew but when I bought it they included a "make your own k-cup" set up that allows me to add whatever ground beans I want. I haven't used this yet as I found some coffees that I really enjoy. I don't know if you can get these un-ground and not in k-cups but I've included them below.

Caribou Coffee Company - Mahogany
    Coffee People - Kona Blend
    "I would call that person a puffnozzle" ~mrtr33

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

I had an interesting coffee experience recently. I had a friend offer me some coffee that was not brewed in any kind of coffee maker. It is a cold coffee infusion type method where you put a considerable amount of coffee grounds into a container, add cold water, cover and let sit for 24 hours (not in the fridge). After that it gets filtered and put in a container in the fridge. When you want to use some, just boil some water. Add a portion of the very strong coffee into a cup. Add the boiling water to it and you have an awesome cup of coffee! I must admit I was very surprised at the richness of the coffee, and strangely enough not acidic at all. It seems that the process is a bit lengthy, but I thought I tasted so good, that I could warrant the bother of doing it. Have any of you tried this yourself? What did you think of your experience? Roger.
    Just another day at the office!

Thread Information