Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Blog Entries

Default Coffee

I am passionate about coffee. I used to drink anything and everything, however my age and acidity tolerance no longer allows me to drink the quantities and style I grew up on. I searched, and wasn't able to find quite the thread that addressed my purpose in posting here: What kind of coffee do you drink, and why?

I'll go first.

It should probably also be noted that I drink coffee primarily three different ways: my daily cup before work is from an Italian espresso pot. Weekends we drink french press, and when I'm just muddling around the house, I'll go drip. We only buy whole bean when we can, and grind fresh.

We drink several different kinds with regularity:

Dailys

1) Cafe du Monde Coffee & Chicory - sometimes, I like a little chicory in my coffee. But only sometimes. As far as go-to coffees go, I usually always reach for this one when my body can tolerate it. It's very strong, and the flavor may disappoint someone not familiar with the chicory nuance. The only problem with this is that it comes ground.

2) Cost Plus World Market French Roast - another staple. It's good, and we can brew it strong enough for our taste.

3) Trader Joe's Bay Blend - can't get it here, but this is probably my favorite go-to coffee right now. We have many friends and family that live near TJ's, so we can get it if we need it.

Special Occasions

These are smaller coffee roasters that we try to support.

1) Pannikin Coffee - based in Encinitas, CA. Great little shop, and great coffee, too.

2) Strawhouse Coffee - based in Junction City, CA. Another great little shop, and great coffee.

These Look Interesting

1) Tatuaje Coffee - although it looks like gimmicky crap

2) Illusione Coffee - although this, too, looks like gimmicky crap

3) Dave Mustaine's Coffee - could be gimmicky, but it's Dave Mustaine!

I guess I'm looking for more of the "want to try" coffees. I don't have to drink Jamaican Blue Mountain every day (nor would I want to), but I was thinking that if there is a regional coffee in your area, or a regional roaster in your area, that you like, maybe you could talk about it here.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

I am interested in finding inexpensive cofee in whole beans. I find some very interesting varieties at places like Trader Joe's and at grocery outlet. Last bag that I got (from grocery outlet) was awsome stuff. A 2 lb. bag of beans for $8.00 or around that price. I like the medium roast type coffee, especialy Kona blend coffees. It is a difficult thing for me to drink anything from a can (pre - ground). Nothing beats the flavor of grinding your own coffee and brewing it right away, except perhaps roasting your own and then grinding it. I have yet to try that myself. I like kona blend coffee because of its low acidity and smoothness. Along with the coffee I enjioy hazlenut flavoring in mine. Otherwise butter rum or butterscotch flavoring is something that I add on occassion.

Roger.
    Just another day at the office!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I am interested in finding inexpensive cofee in whole beans. I find some very interesting varieties at places like Trader Joe's and at grocery outlet. Last bag that I got (from grocery outlet) was awsome stuff. A 2 lb. bag of beans for $8.00 or around that price. I like the medium roast type coffee, especialy Kona blend coffees. It is a difficult thing for me to drink anything from a can (pre - ground). Nothing beats the flavor of grinding your own coffee and brewing it right away, except perhaps roasting your own and then grinding it. I have yet to try that myself. I like kona blend coffee because of its low acidity and smoothness. Along with the coffee I enjioy hazlenut flavoring in mine. Otherwise butter rum or butterscotch flavoring is something that I add on occassion.

Roger.
    Roger do they have T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, or Home Goods where you are. These are all owned by the same company but normaly have a good selection of coffee's. I get the Kona Gold, Hawaiian Gold at Marshalls often (2lbs about $7.00 ). They also have a variety of coffee's. Nice gourmet stuff, both whole bean and ground.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

I see none of you guys buy Mr. Jerry's overpriced crap, LMAO!

Seriously, if you google anything that guys sells, you can easily find it cheaper than the prices he gouges his customers for.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    I see none of you guys buy Mr. Jerry's overpriced crap, LMAO!
    I never ordered any, simply because most of his coffees were of south American descent, and I don't care for south American coffees, with the sole exception of Nicaraguan coffee. To me, south American coffee has a sweet/sour taste that I can't get used to. Maybe if I made espresso with it would I not mind so much, but I don't think I would ever drink a regular-brew or even french press of south American coffee.

They were a tad expensive, I will agree. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for good coffee, but I have to know that it's good coffee to begin with.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    I never ordered any, simply because most of his coffees were of south American descent, and I don't care for south American coffees, with the sole exception of Nicaraguan coffee. To me, south American coffee has a sweet/sour taste that I can't get used to. Maybe if I made espresso with it would I not mind so much, but I don't think I would ever drink a regular-brew or even french press of south American coffee.

They were a tad expensive, I will agree. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for good coffee, but I have to know that it's good coffee to begin with.
    Mark,

Don't mean to be pain in the ass but Nicaragua is not considered to be South America. Regionally it is considered Central America but officially it is actually part of North America.

I agree as well, I love Nicaraguan coffee. I am taking a trip down there for work in March. Let me know if there is anything in particular I can get for ya.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    Mark,

Don't mean to be pain in the ass but Nicaragua is not considered to be South America. Regionally it is considered Central America but officially it is actually part of North America.

I agree as well, I love Nicaraguan coffee. I am taking a trip down there for work in March. Let me know if there is anything in particular I can get for ya.
    You are correct. I misspoke. The coffee I meant to dislike was central American coffee. Thanks for straightening me out.

I don't know of anything special in the way of Nicaraguan coffee so as to make an educated guess, but thanks for the offer anyhow.

I also like Turkish coffee. I know you can make Turkish coffee with normal coffee beans, but I also know there are designated brands of Turkish coffee. Anyone tried experimenting with this?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Usually whenever I get coffee it is one of the bolder brews from Einsteins because that is what is in the commons here.

I too do not care for south of the border coffee. My wife and I spend a lot of time in Mexico and the coffee, at least in the Yucatan is SHITE ! Acidic rubbish. We go to the super walmart in Playa del carmen and buy instant Nescafe for the house while in Mexico.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

I like coffee coolatas from Dunkin' Donuts!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

They're building one of those here in town... It seems to be taking a very long time to complete!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

I second this. DD coffee is my morning coffee during my commute to work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    They're building one of those here in town... It seems to be taking a very long time to complete!
    You can buy their coffee at most stores (target, walmart). You might want to check into that.

Blog Entries

It's not the same without a couple donuts!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

I enjoy coffee. My current knowledge of coffee is about as much as I knew about cigars when I ordered my "South of the Boarder" humidor & sampler from Thompson in '05.

We have a Kitchenaid grinder that we run 8 O'Clock bean through. Personally, I like the French Roast version, or the Columbian, but unfortunately, when Wifey goes to the store, she buys shit. I buy the good stuff, because when I drink coffee I want to taste it...wait I digress. Sometimes we have the "red" bag from them, which I feel is the least tasty.

I've been studying the coffee threads on this board, and am waiting for a strategic time to go off the deep end...

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I'm in the same boat as Will. I enjoy coffee and have been studying the threads on coffee and taking notes in chat when the topic turns to coffee, but am a novice when it comes to knowing anything about coffee, other than if I like it when I'm drinking it or not. I remember I used to enjoy the commercial crap they serve us at work, but lately, I have been "over it", so to say. When I first started drinking coffee, I adulterated it with cream and sugar. But now, I prefer to drink it black, so that I can taste it. I think I'll be exploring the coffee world in the next few months, so thanks to Mark and everyone else for sharing your knowledge. This seems like when I first found this site, except instead of skipping a desktop humidor and going for the coolerdor, I'll be skipping the blade grinder and going for a conical burr grinder. Right? lol

I also like Turkish coffee. I know you can make Turkish coffee with normal coffee beans, but I also know there are designated brands of Turkish coffee. Anyone tried experimenting with this?
    I love Turkish coffee, too. My wife is an Army brat and grew up in Europe, so she knows how to make Turkish coffee. Yes, you can use regular beans but you need a grinder that can actually grind them down that fine, which is the biggest problem she'd had. She mixes in a little bit of milk to cut it and make it creamy, and if you need a good jump start in the morning man this stuff is it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    We have a Kitchenaid grinder that we run 8 O'Clock bean through. Personally, I like the French Roast version, or the Columbian, but unfortunately, when Wifey goes to the store, she buys shit. I buy the good stuff, because when I drink coffee I want to taste it...wait I digress. Sometimes we have the "red" bag from them, which I feel is the least tasty.

I've been studying the coffee threads on this board, and am waiting for a strategic time to go off the deep end...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish79 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Will. I enjoy coffee and have been studying the threads on coffee and taking notes in chat when the topic turns to coffee, but am a novice when it comes to knowing anything about coffee, other than if I like it when I'm drinking it or not. I remember I used to enjoy the commercial crap they serve us at work, but lately, I have been "over it", so to say. When I first started drinking coffee, I adulterated it with cream and sugar. But now, I prefer to drink it black, so that I can taste it. I think I'll be exploring the coffee world in the next few months, so thanks to Mark and everyone else for sharing your knowledge. This seems like when I first found this site, except instead of skipping a desktop humidor and going for the coolerdor, I'll be skipping the blade grinder and going for a conical burr grinder. Right? lol
    I wouldn't base any opinions I espouse as any kind of credible knowledge of coffee. I am blessed with a wife who loves good coffee as well, and so a passion has developed.

As I've stated before, I do not care for central American coffee - the coffees listed above are primarily my coffees of choice. That doesn't mean that I won't try different coffees, but central American coffees usually have this sweet/savory flavor that I can't quite put my finger on, but I know I dislike. Starbucks has this flavor as well, that's why I usually order some kind of espresso drink from them.

I primarily enjoy dark roasted coffees. This type of roast, of course, is how well they roast the coffee beans. There is also mild roast, and medium roast. I enjoy some medium roasted coffees as well, but the milds are just not to my liking. Usually, the darker roasted coffees have less caffeine than the milder roasted coffees. Also, just like cigars, I do not care for flavored coffees of any kind. I do enjoy the Cafe du Monde coffee mentioned above with chicory, although I see the chicory as more of an accessory to the coffee than a flavored deterrent.

As you may have already guessed, the type of coffee you want determines how you grind your beans. Should I have the time and inclination, I will usually opt for making coffee using a French press. While probably not the best, the French presses made by Bodum work very well, are very well made, and do the job well. Basically what is happening is, you put the grinds in, then boil some water, and let the ground coffee soak in the boiling water. After 3.5 minutes, you then push the coffee grinds down, and you're coffee is ready to go. As you can imagine, French press coffee requires a coarse grind. Not so course so that you still have whole beans, but not as fine as coffee that is bought ground in the store. My daily coffee is made with an Italian espresso stovetop pot. This is made by finely grinding your coffee beans (more than the ground coffee bought in the store, but not as much as Turkish coffee, mentioned below). Water is put in the bottom of the coffee pot, and it percolates up as the water is heated. If I'm making drip coffee, I usually know how strong the coffee is before I put the grinds in. For example, the Cafe du Monde coffee mentioned above is very strong. I would put almost half as much of that coffee in as I would, say, the Trader Joe's Bay Blend. Also, I always use filtered water, and when I'm making either French press or espresso, I always make sure the water is chilled. I don't know why. It may not be important.

I used to drink 2 pots of strong black coffee a day. My stomach couldn't handle the acidity, and so I've had to not only cut back in quantity, but also in style. Non-dairy creamer or powder creamer was never an option. Milk doesn't do coffee justice in my mind. After a while, even half n half seems too watered down. Now, I drink my coffee with heavy whipping cream. Not only are there no carbohydrates in heavy whipping cream, it also has lots of protein in it. Plus, it adds a creaminess that can't be beat with a nice cigar in the mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
    I love Turkish coffee, too. My wife is an Army brat and grew up in Europe, so she knows how to make Turkish coffee. Yes, you can use regular beans but you need a grinder that can actually grind them down that fine, which is the biggest problem she'd had. She mixes in a little bit of milk to cut it and make it creamy, and if you need a good jump start in the morning man this stuff is it.
    Yeah, it would be worth it to me to get a good Turkish coffee grinder. They can be quite expensive. One day. My wife also wants a new espresso machine, but considering the good ones start at $600, I don't think we'll be doing either any time soon. Can she recommend a good Turkish coffee to try? When I was over there, I bought some coffee the locals enjoyed, but when I brought it back, I couldn't drink it, it was barely roasted at all, and very sour.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Default Thank You Paddy!

Arrived home last night from a tough week at work to find that Paddy had sent me some of his favorite coffee - a Portugese coffee that I'm enjoying now. It's a medium-blend coffee, with chocolately notes (as he mentioned somewhere before). Very delicious. I'm about to go outside and enjoy it with a special cigar.

Thanks again! You've made my weekend for sure.

Is there anything I can send you in return?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Yeah, it would be worth it to me to get a good Turkish coffee grinder. They can be quite expensive. One day. My wife also wants a new espresso machine, but considering the good ones start at $600, I don't think we'll be doing either any time soon. Can she recommend a good Turkish coffee to try? When I was over there, I bought some coffee the locals enjoyed, but when I brought it back, I couldn't drink it, it was barely roasted at all, and very sour.
    I'll ask her when I call home the next time. I know in the past we've used 8 O'Clock and a couple others, but the key is grinding it.

Thread Information