Thread: Did You Know...

Blog Entries

Default Did You Know...

Did you know that a Padron 3000 aged for three years is a Padron 1964? I didn't until a few days ago. Same cigar just aged. I would like to catch the 3000's on sale and buy a couple of boxes and age them. I don't know if I could stay out of them for that long. I do have about 20 sticks that have been in my humidor for a year now. I think I can I think I might. Some of you have been aging smokes for years though. This is just a drop in the bucket eh?

Of course I will need one of those Avallo 1000 humidors just for aging that I read about in a recent post.
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeMan View Post
    Did you know that a Padron 3000 aged for three years is a Padron 1964? I didn't until a few days ago. Same cigar just aged. I would like to catch the 3000's on sale and buy a couple of boxes and age them. I don't know if I could stay out of them for that long. I do have about 20 sticks that have been in my humidor for a year now. I think I can I think I might. Some of you have been aging smokes for years though. This is just a drop in the bucket eh?

Of course I will need one of those Avallo 1000 humidors just for aging that I read about in a recent post.
    Where did you hear that?
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Where did you hear that?
    The owner of my local B&M.
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

I don't think that's true.

According to Padron's website, the 64s are blended with a "limited production series aged for 4 years" The Padron series (3000s for example) are made with tobacco aged fro 2 1/2 years. These numbers alone don't jive with what your guy is saying.

As far as I know, all the Padron (thousand) series are the same tobacco, just different shapes. The shapes can change the flavor profile.

I would really be shocked that Padron would use the same tobacco from their "standard" line in the anniversary line. Granted, it all comes from the same farm, but I'm sure they grow different grades of plant.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I would venture to say they may be of similiar blends, but the quality of construction is far superior in the high end lines.

Perhaps the tobaccos come from the same fields, but the 1964 series gets the choicest leaves. I've smoked plenty of aged X000 series cigars, and they really don't stand up to the '26 or '64.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

I think some clarification is in order. According to Padron's website, the "thousand series" are sun-grown habano wrappers aged 2.5 years. The 1964 series are aged for 4 years.

I could be mistaken, but aging tobacco as a leaf is a more common method of aging tobacco than aging a cigar is. If I remember correctly, when aging the leaves, careful consideration is placed on the humidity and rotation of the tobacco leaves as they ferment. After the leaves are picked and dried, the leaves are carefully stored and inspected so they don't get too humid and are unusable.

I read something a while back, or saw an interview with Tatuaje's Pete Johnson, where he was interested in creating a cigar where the tobacco would be aged while the cigar is rolled. I know he created his RC line with half of the cigar wrapped in foil similar to the way Cuban cigars used to be. I can only think of one Cuban cigar that does that now, the Bolivar Gold Medals. I'm sure there may be others.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Once leaves have finished the fermentation process, they get sorted and bundled in a way that stops the fermentation. then they can be aged any number of years.. some get aged in old liquor barrels, or "en tercio" wrapped in palm leaves.

There is also extensive aging of rolled cigars with most makers.

I have a DVD from CAO that covers from seed to cigar, it's very interesting, their cigars are stored in an aging room for a minimum of 6 months after rolling, much longer depending on brand.

I would be VERY upset if I bought a $12.00 cigar to find it was only a $3.00 stick that they held on to for a couple years.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Just for the record, Padron 3000s rock my world.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    Once leaves have finished the fermentation process, they get sorted and bundled in a way that stops the fermentation. then they can be aged any number of years.. some get aged in old liquor barrels, or "en tercio" wrapped in palm leaves.
    I remember reading something last year when I was getting into planting tobacco of my own (not for personal consumption, more out of infatuation), and it mentioned something similar to this. If I can find the article, I'll edit this post.

The article is here.

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Just for the record, Padron 3000s rock my world.
    l
    Probably one of my favorite cigars of all times, although technically it was the 4000 maduro that got my attention initially.
    Last edited by mrtr33; 02-04-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: found the article!

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Interesting replies. I learned a lot. Thanks gents. Let me clarify exactly what the guy said.
    I was buying a few of the 3000's he came out and I told him I really liked these 3000's. He said "That is the same blend as the 1964, Age it for three years and you have a 1964."

Thanks for the additional (correct)information.

What would be fun is to have some aged 3000's and do a blind taste test between the two.
    Last edited by EdgeMan; 02-04-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: blind taste test fun
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

I am no expert and many good answers have been presented, but clearly there is a distinct difference in the two products mentioned.

For example, I went to the Volkswagen dealer the other day and bought a new '10 Beetle. The salesman told me, "Age that for a few years, then paint it 'guards red', and you have a Porsche." It's made from the same parts, right?

Hey, badwhale, that's an odd coincidence. I ran into a guy over by Tampa that gave me some of those 3000's to try. He looked a little shady, though. I bet they're fake...

I am sorry to tell you that your local B&M info is incorrect.
    Though all Padron's .....Series, 1964 and 1926 are sungrown.......none use similar tobacco grades or blends.

Blog Entries

That's good to know. I will not waste three expecting a 1964. But a little age on them won't hurt.
    I will tell him that he is wrong next time I see him and ask him where he got that kind of information. Probably form a Padron Sales Rep I would imagine. Thanks everyone.
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

I thought the thousand series had coco mix and the 64's and 26's didn't? Now you guys have me all confused.
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeMan View Post
    That's good to know. I will not waste three expecting a 1964. But a little age on them won't hurt.
    I will tell him that he is wrong next time I see him and ask him where he got that kind of information. Probably form a Padron Sales Rep I would imagine. Thanks everyone.
    I can help you kick his bullshiting ass this friday

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    I can help you kick his bullshiting ass this friday
    Make sure you take pictures!

Blog Entries

Edge ask him what happens after 6 years....see if he says it turns into a 1926!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    Edge ask him what happens after 6 years....see if he says it turns into a 1926!
    hahaha... I think I will do just that cinda.
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

This thread is already here somewhere...

Thread Information