Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Tobacco Plant Project

Blog Entries

Default Weekly update

I imposed on Pops, once again, to take some photo's of the plants since last I had was a week old. The pictures from 14 July were taken at mid-day. The temp here was 99 and the heat index was 113. You will see some wilting of the leaves and some of the insect damage. The recovery from wilting is very quick when the sun stops hitting them.

Florida Sumatra 14 July

Argentine 14 July (center of frame)

Small Stalk 14 July....first photo is original planting, second is supplemental planting.

Long Red Leaf 14 July....first photo is original planting...2nd is supplemental planting.

Last night, after the massive heat of the last week, we got some moderate thunderstorms and about 1/2" of rain fell on the crop. Here they are this morning at 8 a.m. The chain link fence in the background is 3' tall for reference. I am pretty pleased with how this is going so far. The majority of the plants have been in the ground for 33 days.....the last 3 plants (only one of which is visible in the photo on the extreme right) only 16 days.
    Last edited by ashauler; 07-15-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Blog Entries

Nice pics. Those guys really took off quick. About how often are you watering? I should try feeding as often as you do.

My lone Florida Sumatra plant looks very similar to yours; it's tall, and the leaves are spaced further apart than the other varieties. Considering that these are the "wrapper" leaves, I took a longer look at the leaves this morning; mine don't look very big - at least not as big as other leaves do. We'll see how things end up.

I estimate my plants have been in the ground around 45-50 days or so at this point. I'll try to get pics up tomorrow, but more than likely, it will be Saturday.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Nice pics. Those guys really took off quick. About how often are you watering? I should try feeding as often as you do.
    snip....
    I'm watering about every 2-3 days depending on the weather and the amount of wilting during the heat of the day.

Blog Entries

Default Weekly progress....or disaster

I actually got out into the garden this morning and inspected the crop, first time I've gotten to look at them closely since 2 July. Some interesting things have developed, one exciting, and one that isn't so wonderful.

Here's the crop:

Florida Sumatra:

Argentina:

Small Stalk Blk Mammoth:

Small Stalk Blk Mammoth supplemental planting:

And the exciting development of the first bud....Small Stalk Blk Mammoth:

Long Red Leaf:

Long Red Leaf supplemental planting:

And now for the not-so-good development. There is a nasty looking discoloration appearing of a few leaves of the Long Red and Small Stock. I'm trying to identify it but haven't been able to yet. I suspect it is some type of mold, blue tobacco mold perhaps. I'm not sure how it developed since all watering is done at the ground level and the leaves are not wetted. The only wetting of the leaves that takes place is during feeding, which is only done on a weekly basis.
    Here are some examples of the discoloration:
    Small Stalk Blk mammoth discoloration

Small Stalk Black mammoth discoloration 2

Long Red Leaf discoloration

All in all I think the crop is progressing nicely. I was surprised to see the bud and concerned to see the appearance of the "disease" or whatever it is. I"m off to try and research and find out what, if anything, can be done about it. I'll update the post when I find out exactly what it is.

ETA: The damage is due to sun-scald.....the leaves give up too much moisture during the hot part of the day and wilt, causing the damage. Only way to prevent is to use a floating row cover to filter the sun-shine or plant drought resistant varieties. Shouldn't affect anything other than the yield.
    Last edited by ashauler; 07-21-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: add leaf damage info

Blog Entries

Well, I am impressed. Actually, there is no reason to expect anything but success from you two. BTW - Both of you kicked my butt. That's what I get for farming under the influence. I think I have one survivor that I will try to post.

Nice work guys!

Thread Information