Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tobacco Plant Project

Blog Entries

Default The Tobacco Plant Project

Current participants: Smoked!, ashauler, mrtr33

Purpose: To grow tobacco, in an effort to learn more about our hobby. I enjoy growing a vegetable garden each year, and I grew two small Argentinean tobacco plants last year. The two plants were great conversation starters with the neighbors (both cigarette smokers) and with my wife’s gardening friends. This year I plan on cutting back the size of my vegetable garden, and tending to a few more tobacco plants. It’s more of a time issue with the vegetable garden than it is an obsession with tobacco plants, however. My only goal is to get large, healthy plants. While the varieties chosen were specifically picked because they were good cigar tobaccos, I don’t personally plan on cultivating these plants for cigar rolling/consumption. I think the furthest I plan on getting is drying the leaves. The others may feel differently, however.
    Hopefully, this thread will end up educational, and we’ll all learn something from it. Anyone with a comment or suggestion is more than welcome to post – especially any growing resources.

Materials: A few weeks ago, I initially asked if anyone would be willing to split some seeds with me. Tobacco seeds usually come in quantities larger than what I need or can handle, even with germination rates hovering around 80%. We all decided on three varieties: Small Stock Black Mammoth, Long Red Leaf and Florida Sumatra. I’m also going to send Smoked! and ashauler a few seeds from last year, the Argentinean seeds, to see if maybe they have better luck than I did. I won’t have the space for one more variety. Each of us will start with approximately 15 seeds of each variety, except for the Argentinean, which there will only be about 10 each.

Procedure: The last frost here last year was approximately in the middle of March, which sounds about right. While tobacco is a hardy plant, it’s very delicate in getting started; they must be started indoors in peat moss, for best results. I am going to send out the seeds (probably tomorrow) to Smoked! and ashauler, and we should probably start getting them into the ground relatively soon. I have researched this a bit (and I know Smoked! has as well) and the best way to get these started is in little peat moss pellets – the little Jiffy greenhouses work just fine. It’s important to set the seeds on top of them, and not to bury them. Then, water from the bottom, and not the top. After about 6 weeks, gradually begin to introduce your seedlings to the outdoors. Remember, there is only an 80% germination rate expected!

Comments, suggestions, etc. welcomed. We hope to be meticulous about pictures and updates throughout this process.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Default Resources

This post is to keep track of all resources initially consulted, plus others that other people have to include.

Tobacco Growing and Curing at Home: This New Zealand tobacco grower puts an interesting spin on tobacco growing, in an attempt to show just how easy it is to grow tobacco. He claims to not even smoke tobacco, he just enjoys growing it. Probably only one-third of the page is his actual directions, the rest of the page are reader comments and his responses. While there is a good bit of information in his responses (and the reader posts), you really have to hunt for it.

Growing, Nurturing, and Harvesting - Tobacconist University: Lots of good pictures, lots of information here. I guess the only thing I'm confused about is when they choose to start putting their plants in the ground. While it seems to me like they are growing in the northern hemisphere, I wouldn't dare start any plant here in August. Many of the other resources I have consulted also suggest beginning your seedlings about 30 days before the last frost.

Starting and Growing Tobacco from Seeds: Does a good job of explaining the process of getting tobacco plants started. Also includes a few theories on transplanting as well. This site is also the only one that provides some good methods/theories for fertilizing in the early stages of tobacco growth.

Growing Tobacco in the Home Garden: A short writeup of growing tobacco in the home garden from the University of Florida. It goes into specific pH levels of soil for optimal growth, and ideal outdoor soil growing conditions. But about a quarter of the article talks about curing the tobacco, which is outside of the scope of this project.

Growing Tobacco An Age Old Tradition: A few good tidbits of information, such as using compost instead of soil for the tobacco plants. There are better sites with better information, however.

And finally, with all respects to hex......

There are a couple of forums solely dedicated to growing, curing, and preparing tobacco to smoke. I'm only posting these as a reference for this project, and these communities are interested in cultivation of all tobacco forms, including cigarettes and snuff. I haven't joined either forum yet, simply because I haven't finished searching those forums to see if I can't find the information I'm looking for, because search is my friend.

How to Grow Tobacco: A forum dedicated to growing tobacco, curing it, aging it, and smoking it. Their growing section is pretty good, and it seems to be regularly updated. It even talks about cloning tobacco plant varieties. Could be a good resource of information on down the road, but for right now, my only interests are in getting the plants started and transplanted.

Tobacco Talk: Not as updated, and there isn't as much information. There are a few good nuggets of information that can be found here, and their "getting started" section is much smaller and condensed.
    Last edited by mrtr33; 02-26-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Default Pictures

Because we all know, this thread is useless without them......

The seeds. While most all seeds look pretty much the same, these are the Small Stock Black Mammoth seeds in question. The dime is for reference.
    Last edited by mrtr33; 02-17-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

4. Default

This is a very cool idea, are you (mrtr33) the only one that's got experience with growing?
    "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something" - Plato

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirPuffsAlot View Post
    This is a very cool idea, are you (mrtr33) the only one that's got experience with growing?
    I can't speak for the others, but I also don't know that I'd call myself experienced. I raised 2 plants last year, the biggest of the two featured in my avatar. I've done a lot of research since then, and hope to have bigger plants this year. But I'll probably end up making all the same mistakes again.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

The one thing I have found about plants in general, is that they will only grow as big as the pot they are in allows them to grow.
    That plant would have Probably grown larger if it was in a larger pot, just my experiance.

Keith

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirPuffsAlot View Post
    I have never grown a tobacco plant. I have been around gardens and farms my entire life, so I ought to be able to at least not kill them. I'm planning on growing a few in pots, to intentionally limit their size for ornamental purposes.

I'll most likely talk my Dad out of a row or two in his garden to allow other plants to do as well as they will. I have much research to do on the specifics of tobacco and am looking forward to the experiment.

Blog Entries

Default A couple of links...

I am thinking about growing some in a pot on my balcony. So I started looking around and found a couple of interesting links...

Here
    and
    Here
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Gearing Up

Thanks for setting this up! I am truly looking forward to this project. This weekend I will check my propagation supplies and see if I need any additional equipment. Temps have been below average for a full month down here, so the seeds may need a little more encouragement than usual. I may need to get my hands on a heat lamp or pad heater. Also, I want to keep track of the amount of time and effort necessary to "produce a crop", although I am more interested in the ornamental aspects.

Blog Entries

Default Gearing Up

**Update**
    Second post of resources updated.

I attended a ferti-lome seminar last evening regarding their new products, and got a chance to talk with the lead guy about my ambitions. He seemed supported, but I think I could have told him I wanted to plant just about anything, and he would have been supportive. I have definitely made my mind up that I'm only going to utilize the knowledge base of my local garden nursery, however, instead of the big box stores like Lowe's or Home Depot. It's not so much an environmental concern (I'm dumping all kinds of chemical fertilizers into these), as it's in support of supporting the local businesses, as ferti-lome/hi - yield don't sell their products in the big box stores. I also got a cool ferti-lome t-shirt. I'm a sucker for free t-shirts.

I've already gathered a few supplies, but plan on making a full assessment this weekend. I hope to have some plans drawn out to show off next week. Depending on how the weather looks next week, I may start the seedlings next weekend. It's still rather unseasonably cold here right now, so I'm not really in any rush. Last year at this time, the seedlings were already sprouting.

Seeds didn't go out until this past Tuesday. Each breakdown of seeds works something like this:

Small Stock Black Mammoth: approximately 15-20 seeds
    Long Red Leaf: approximately 10 seeds
    Florida Sumatra: approximately 15-20 seeds
    Argentina: approximately 10 seeds

Sorry about that, there just weren't lots of the Long Red Leaf to go around. Also, the Argentina seeds were from last season. Do what you can.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Cool Mark, can't wait to get them and get started. I luv me some tobacco from Argentinia!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Cool Mark, can't wait to get them and get started. I luv me some tobacco from Argentinia!!
    Where is that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    Where is that?
    Read more / post less. Friggen' newblets.

Blog Entries

lmao

Blog Entries

The seeds arrived late yesterday. I will probably wait until later this week to get them started. Everything looks like it is in good condition. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Got mine yesterday as well.....might wait until next weekend to start them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked! View Post
    The seeds arrived late yesterday. I will probably wait until later this week to get them started. Everything looks like it is in good condition. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Got mine yesterday as well.....might wait until next weekend to start them.
    Glad to hear everything arrived alright. I'll probably be planting this weekend. I'll be sure to post pics.

Thanks again for participating.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Default Seeds are in the Soil

I thought I'd update this thread.

I got the seeds in the peat pellets last night. The pictures aren't great, because I have the worst camera and the worst photographing ability in the whole entire world.

But here are a few pics, nonetheless.

You can't tell easily by these pictures, but each pellet contains about 5-6 seeds. I looked again, and had maybe 2 seeds of the Argentina tobacco seeds left. So I put those just in one pellet. As I stated before, I had lots of the Small Stalk Black Mammoth, and still have some left over (Louisiana sometimes gets two growing seasons, but we're due for another freeze before the month is up, so I'm not holding my breath). Those were dispersed over maybe 8 or 9 pellets. The other two varieties (Long Red Leaf and Florida Sumatra) were evenly dispersed over 12 pellets.

I'm hoping to see sprouts in a week. I'll keep you posted.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Seeds are in the peat pods - photos and narrative to follow.

Blog Entries

I did the jiffy pellet thingy too.....they look pretty much like Marks. I'll save my shitty photography skills until there is something for you to not see well.

Thread Information